“HIGH CAMP - TWILIGHT ZONE”

The Village At Squaw Valley
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Olympic Valley
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Just went to high Camp today with my family. Started off real good at the ticket center because they honored our groupon tickets that were going to expire and they were open this last weekend. Tram ride was amazing and the tram operator provided us with information that was really interesting on the way up. Unfortunately our enjoyment ended immediately by the rudest staff I have ever encountered!!! We are truckee locals with two kids. Checking in to the locker room the girl yelled past her customers at my four year old "sitting" on some nearby rocks. Mind you no problem if said in a nice manner. It was our turn next and she didn't even acknowledge her verbal abuse. The locker rooms were gross and outdated. The beach towels provided were the size LESS than a bath towel and very worn. So after that experience we walk down to the pool and again yelled at (not professionally at all) my child for running (which he was barely at a trot). My daughter gets in the pool and again verbally assaulted by the lifeguard with these "rules". So i just walked up to the lifeguard and just finally said I would like to know all the rules so that you won't be yelling at my kids all day. None of these rules by the way were posted. So now my kids felt like they were not going to anything right and we are not relaxed at all. As I walked back to my chair the couple next too me proceeded to tell me they were leaving too because of the way were treated too. So now we are cold (manager said pool was up to 80 degrees but it was freaking cold) and decided to go to the hot tub. So now the abuse continues. We noticed all day these people walking around in White polo shirts approaching people with what they were doing wrong. I and another mother was approached by JOSH. I don't think I have ever encountered a more ruder and more unprofessional man as he. HE Was confrontational and waiting to just scold someone for doing something wrong. Remind you there are NO rules posted on the way up, website, or around the pool telling us that no children under the age of five is not allowed in the hot tub. OUr kiddos were freezing!! The other mother was a local too and said she was approached three times and each time someone said something different. So the whole time we felt like we were being watched waiting for us to do something wrong just to be confrontational. The unfortunate thing is that as i talked with other visitors and ones watching the transaction (mind you I was polite the entire time) felt the same way and were treated the same way. So I have concluded that because the entire staff (with the exception of Bobby in the roller skating area) are trained to be rude, confrontational, mean, and not to make a paying customer feel and enjoy the beauty of Squaw Valley. BTW it took my husband 15 minutes!!! to get the bill for lunch, we went and courageously went back to the pool while he waited to pay. Its as if they hated their job and hated you for being there. It felt like jail to all of us visiting such a potentially spectacular place. My husband and I were so appalled and shocked at how many other people were experiencing the same treatment we were that we had to laugh because it felt like the Twilight Zone where customers were the enemy.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
GenManager_11, Guest Relations Manager at The Village At Squaw Valley, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. The High Camp facility strives at all times to provide the highest quality experience for our Guest’s. From the mountain experience available to the pool, dining options and all other offerings, High Camp is a unique resort facility. In fulfilling this goal of excellence not only is the enjoyment of our visitors important, but their safety as well. We regret any guest not having this level of experience and use all feed back as an opportunity to learn and improve. We acknowledge the dated appearance of the pools locker rooms, and while scheduled as part of our upcoming capital renovations, we strive to keep the facilities clean and professionally maintained.

Often times this mountain experience creates an exuberance and sense of exploration especially among our younger guests. Staff hopes to work with the parents to promote and ensure their child’s enjoyment and safety, not only for their children but for our other guests as well. On occasion, the potential risks of a guest’s activity demands an immediate response. Please know that this specific incident will be discussed with the Activities staff and this feedback will be incorporated into future training.

I apologize for your poor experience. We truly strive to provide a top notch experience and it is disappointing for all of us when a guest does not experience just that. I would like to invite you and your family back to give us another try at providing a great time at High Camp and the pool. Please contact me at kcrezee@squaw.com so that I can send you your vouchers valid for next summer. Again, thank you for taking the time to share your comments.

Kyle Crezee
Director of Activities at Squaw Valley

Reviewed September 19, 2012

We stayed in a one bedroom in the summer. The staff at the front desk were not friendly. The bed covers were dirty (melted candle and dirt) and the furniture was really old and worn out. The TVs were old and barely functioning. The bathtub and sink drains in the bathroom were clogged and the towels had a strange unclean smell to them.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
GenManager_11, General Manager at The Village At Squaw Valley, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Hi Tanny,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. It is unfortunate to hear that your stay with us was less than satisfactory. We are in the process of working with our owners to upgrade their units. Right now, we have put together a package that includes upgrading TV’s, bedding and furniture. While this does not alleviate your experience that you had with us in September, I would love to have the opportunity to invite you back personally. Please contact me at 530-584-1000.

I apologize that your experience was not one that you would have hoped for. I hope that you will stay with us again in the future and give us the opportunity to show you our exceptional service and facilities.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

Had a wonderful stay in a 1 bdrm 3rd floor unit located on the mall in Squaw Valley. Everything was very nice and since it was the off season the prices were excellent. Condo was fully furnished right down to the pots and pans.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ripmax
GenManager_11, General Manager at The Village At Squaw Valley, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2012

Hi,

I am so glad that you enjoyed our one bedroom unit at The Village at Squaw Valley. The fully stocked kitchen gives you the option to stay at home and cook a meal or you can explore one of the many restaurants located in the Village. Thank you for your review and I hope to see you soon!

Reviewed September 7, 2012

We recently stayed in a condo at Squaw Village for a last summer weekend. Usually, I think ski resorts are pretty ugly in the summer , but this turned out to be quite nice. The "faux-village" is kind of cute, the condo was nothing fancy but nice enough. We hiked up to Shirley Lake and on to the high camp , which was great - pool, hot tub, lunch, drinks, then to the tram back down - no charge for it coming down the mountain. It was really nice and relaxing. My husband biked to Lake Tahoe and back, so he was happy. Great meal at Plumpjack. A little surprised that their breakfast ended so early on Sunday - 10:30. I'd go back in the summer again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Sally F

Hello,

So glad that you enjoyed your summer vacation at The Village at Squaw Valley! I am so happy to hear that you were able to hike to High Camp and enjoy the pool and views of Lake Tahoe. I hope that you will visit us again sooner than later!

Reviewed August 30, 2012

My husband, two school aged children and I stayed in a one bedroom suite with a view. There is so much to do at the Village and in the greater Lake Tahoe area. We really had a great time and took advantage of high camp, the mini golf, and restaurants. However, it was very warm in our one bedroom suite. Even though I requested a unit with air con multiple times; during reservation, confirmation and at check in, the Village was unable to accommodate our request. It was difficult to fall asleep when we had all of the windows open, fans going, and the room was still over 80 degrees. It was also very noisy in the early morning and later evening hours, especially since we needed to keep the windows open and couldn't block out the noise.

If you are going to Tahoe to have a good time and want the conveniences the Village offers, then this place is a good value. Just don't expect to get any rest :(.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Bodelicious

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am sorry to hear that we could not accommodate your request to stay in a room with air conditioning. We always strive to meet our guests requests and I apologize that we did not have rooms with units available. We are working with our owners to install air conditioning units in their rooms. We are always striving to upgrade our amenities/accommodations for our guests. I hope that you will come back and visit us again during the summer or winter months. We look forward to seeing you!

Reviewed August 23, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the resort for two midweek nights and thought it was great. The staff was attentive and curtiuous. We had reserved a standard room but when we arrived the person working the front desk had a surprise for us. He upgraded us to a studio suite at no extra charge because he knew we were on our anniversary trip. Now that is service! The hotel room was clean and we enjoyed the fully loaded kitchen. All the amenities the resort offered were really nice. It felt as if we did not have to leave the place because of all the shops and restaurants within the resort. Lastly, we enjoyed the gondola ride to High Camp where we swam in the pool and had lunch with fantastic views. Enjoy!

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Hi Joseph,

First off, let me congratulate you on your wedding anniversary! I am so happy that you decided to stay with us for your special occasion. The Village offers a variety of shops and restaurants, which is perfect if you are looking to stay close to home. I hope to see you back at The Village at Squaw Valley very soon!

Reviewed August 22, 2012

We came to Squaw Valley for the Wanderlust festival and we came a few days ahead of our group. We stayed in a one bedroom at the Village at Squaw Valley. It was right in the heart of the village which was perfect for walking around and people watching from our balcony. We had read reviews on Trip Advisor and knew you might have to ask for a unit with AC. We didn't ask and our unit didn't have AC. It was warm when we first checked in but we left the windows open the whole time and it never got hot. It actually got a little bit cold at night! I could see where it might get hot if your unit faced the afternoon sun. We were in room 405. Ours faced the morning sun which was perfect for waking us up. There was a big thunderstorm one night and it was so pretty to listen to it while we slept! This would have been a perfect room to be in for the festival (we moved to stay at Squaw Valley Lodge with our friends in a 2 bedroom for the festival) - it was right in the heart of it all. They were setting up a stage just below our room right as we were packing up to move locations.

It was a little loud at night when the people below left the bars after midnight. There were a few dog owners that let their dogs bark a lot considering it was late at night. And I saw the other reviewer posted about the joining door being open - I think that was to our room. We could open our door but there wasn't a handle so we couldn't get into the other room. But it should have been dead bolted since we only rented the one room.

Our room did have a fire place but the gas was turned off for the summer. I was a bit chilly one night and called to ask about turning it on but the maintenance crew had already left for the evening. We had a full kitchen and wi-fi. The halls are a big small and claustrophobic feeling but that wasn't a bit deal. The parking is underground and you use your key to open the garage door. The bedspread and furniture is a little tired but not horrible. And the room is really dark even with the blinds all open and the vaulted ceilings. I think the decor and wood trim is all just dark and soaks up the light. It was hard to put on my makeup in the bathroom since the lighting was really poor.

There were hot tubs in each of the buildings and one day a big rainstorm blew in while we were sitting in the hot tub and it started to hail! In July! Being Floridians we loved it! The other hot tub users were not as amused and ran for cover - haha. The only pool is at the top of the mountain at high camp but one day of pool passes were included in our stay. We went there for an afternoon and it was great! Very windy since you are on the top of the mountain so that kept it cooler. There is an ice cream stand at the top of the tram that has ice cream bars and they dip them in chocolate and roll them in the topping of your choice. They are amazing!

We hiked the Shirley Lake trail one day - we didn't realize it would be such a hike. We overheard someone say it took them 3 hours and I was surprised. But we are not used to mountains or even hills so it took us just over 4 hours. We swam in Shirley Lake and rested on the big rock there - it was awesome! Then we finished the hike to the top and took the tram down. We met another family at the lake that hiked this trail last summer. They said the weather took a turn for the worse and they ended up at high camp and the tram was shut down for the day! They did say there was a phone there so a truck came and picked them up. I wouldn't have thought of that - I probably would have hiked the 4 hours back down!

Room Tip: If you stay in the summer and don't have a room with AC be sure and face away from the afternoon...