“Great Location - Beautiful Spot”
Review of Olema Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Olema
Olema Campground
Reviewed April 26, 2011

You cannot beat the location of Olema Ranch Campground. Close to many Bay Area population centers this campground was an easy 1.5 hour drive from the East Bay. Once here, there are a myriad of activities, from golf to the Point Reyes seashore. We enjoyed them all. The new ownership is making a concerted effort to improve the campground. The bathrooms were clean and all services functional. Campsites are large with new picnic tables. Campground is very well laid out. After years of neglect by the previous owners, this place appears to be turning the corner. We will be back here next year, if not before then.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank wavetrailer

Reviewed July 18, 2010

It was gross, overcrowded, not at all like a resort (I really think they need to remove that word from their name), and I'm pretty sure the owners are making a killing. Not sure what the other reviewers are smoking, I could have just set up a tent in a strip mall parking lot and it would've been just about the same experience except that I wouldn't have been dying of smoke-inhalation.

The only little bathroom is a trek from the tent-campsite we were in, and was disgusting: muddy floors, toilets that won't flush, over-crowded, showers with push-buttons for the water and no hooks or shelves for towels or toiletries. The other bathroom options were abused portable toilets that were cleaned once a week even on the busiest time of year - they were already sprayed with urine, full to the brim and had no seat covers just a few hours after being cleaned. No wireless internet- at least not in the campsite we were in. Teeny tiny campsites marked by white spray-painted lines, one on top of the other - each overcrowded with too many people and big-old trucks. Right next to the highway so you get the car-noise and all day Saturday and Sunday a bulldozer drove around near us making us feel like we were still in the city. Not peaceful, tranquil, relaxing and not fun in any way. I could go on and on about the cons, it was the worst camping trip I've ever had.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
5  Thank asylum_e
Reviewed July 4, 2008

This was our third year at this campground, and it will be our last. We moved our vacation up one month to get the site that we wanted and the people could not get it right, ended up with a location that was a traffic path for everyone. The management did not seem to care. If you like barking dogs day and night, and rowdy people at all hours by all means stay here. The new management could care less about the facilities. The showers in our area were broken more than they worked either with no hot water, or no water at all. We had planned on staying for 28 days, and if we could have found another location we would have moved after the first week, but we stayed 27 days and gave up our last day. The prices were $150 more than other parks in the area for 28 days, and it was not worth the money. We enjoyed our past stays, but will not return.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank ghawk13
Reviewed June 25, 2008

One of the best camping locations north of San Francisco, Olema Ranch Campground has been a favorite for many many years.
We stopped coming here about two years ago as the current owner was letting it go pretty bad. New ownership tried to sell private memberships, but this didn't work for them, so they're back in business with a lot of improvements...such as, upgrades of rv pads, kids play area, new high end pads and landscaping in the circle area near the offices, bathrooms, etc. The place looks really good compared to a couple years ago and I'm very happy to have this nice spot to come and "cool off" from the valley heat in the summer.
The challenge areas: as of mid June, there is no "store'. You can't buy anything at the RV park and need to walk about 1/2 mile to the country store in Olema..just plan ahead. The prices are another concern: I got a post card in the mail for 1/2 off the second night, which I appreciated, but their rates are at the top and their services just don't compare ..yet...
Currently they are asking for $39/night midweek and $49/night Friday-Sunday...(CASH ONLY..no credit cards as of this date) if they continue to run specials to get the business back up...great; because the park was sparsely occupied and we want them to succeed and make this the premier destination on the coast. They still have a ways to go to compare to Duncan Mills Campground (Resorts of Distinction) and hopefully they will affliate with a major camping company like Thousand Trails, ROD, RPI, etc....
Come give it a try...beautiful, peaceful and coming back , but bring your cash!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank scodemac
Reviewed May 25, 2008

My girlfreind and I bring our children (Sans husbands) of all ages every year to Olema Ranch because it has a variety of things to do and see close by. We have always had nothing but the best in service and campgrounds, I tell people about it all the time. Thanks Olema!!!

• Stayed: July 2005, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 21, 2007

My friends and I camped here Aug 17-19, 2007. We wanted to be close to Point Reyes and the closest state park (Samuel P. Taylor) was booked for the entire summer.... so I stumbled across this private campsite and they had plenty of availability. The place was very close to Point Reyes, the showers were free (hot water too!), and bathrooms were relatively cleaner than other campsites I've been to. I just found this campground a bit expensive -- they charge $40 per night per campsite (4 people) while state parks only charge $20-25 for 8 people per campsite. I'd come back again if Samuel P. Taylor is all booked again next year!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 2, 2007

Point Reyes is an amazing place with lots of animals, trails and beaches. Plus the San Andreas fault! A couple of years ago I was looking for a place to camp near Point Reyes and stumbled across this park. Last month I went back with my family and stayed three nights. I have stayed in lots of RV parks and but Olema CG is one of the nicest and prettiest I have encountered. Also it must be a secret or something because both times it was less than a quarter full. Apparently there are new owners who are making a big effort. It is not the cheapest park around but the proximity to the trails and the feeling that you are in the park already make it worthwhile. Lots of trees, grass and a stream that sometimes has salmon and trout. (but you can't take them) I plan to reroute my trip to stop here on the way home.

Stayed: June 2007
2  Thank ctellis1

Been to Olema Campground? Share your experiences!