“Weird!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Sir and Star

Sir and Star
Reserve with OpenTable
Sir and Star is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 3 Restaurants in Olema
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Mill Valley
“Weird!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013

Seriously, I do not know what all the great reviews are about this restaurant. We were really looking forward to eating here, since we used to love coming to the restaurant when it was in the Olema Inn. This was one of the weirdest dining experiences we've ever had. The waiter was pretentious, the ambiance was dark and gothic, ( they painted the old farmhouse black!) definitely not my idea of a West Marin delight, the menu was hard to understand and the whole experience was just uncomfortable. The food was O.K. but the dishes were inconsistent. We will not go back.

• Visited August 2013
8 Thank ilovemusic123

Sonoma, California
“Fresh and Creative Menu”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

Our bioluminescence kayak adventure on Tomales Bay was cancelled due to high wind so we opted to go to dinner at this new restaurant in nearby Olema. We brought along a 1996 Cabernet Sauvignon which paired excellently with our menu selections... Faux Gras of local duck livers; 2 salads - Housemade Tasso Two Ways and A Duet of Salads; 2 mains - Luscious Parts of Local Pig and Head to Toe Parts of Beef.

The waiter was friendly and extremely efficient as were the rest of the staff.

It's a bit of a drive out to West Marin but worth it for an excellent meal in an old building with lots of charming character.

Oakland, California
“Top 5 ever !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

I'm 70 years old, have traveled the world and eaten at most of the top 25 restaurants on this planet. I'm a foodie and love to cook. This was possibly the best meal I've ever eaten. The local line caught black cod was so delicious It was like fish I had never tasted before and it had only been caught a few hours before I ate it! All the ingredients, while familiar, tasted and were presented in such a manner, it was like I had never had them before. Plus the atmosphere and service were top notch! Luckily I'm going to be in the area long enough to go back for another memorable meal. Oh, and did I mention price point? I would have gladly paid twice what it cost! Thanks Sir & Star.

• Visited October 2013
san diego
“fish and chips like you've never seen”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

We had the O Yes $45 chef's surprise (omakase) - 5 courses, some of which were on the a la carte and some not. Faux Gras of Local Duck Livers, as everyone says, was delicious, but mainly because of the pairing with a wine jelly, so a bit like peanut butter and jelly, good contrast of textures and tastes. The rye porridge with a duck's egg was similarly fabulous. High point though was a whole deep fried petrale sole. It was arched, mouth reaching back almost biting its tail, as though leaping out of the ocean. A simple take on those haute cuisine fishy images you see of elaborately contorted and decorated fish leaping off the plate. This was a whimsical fish and chips. Simple, cooked to perfection, so you could taste the sweet mildness of petrale. Crowned with a few slices of briny pickled seaweed. Soft serve icecream with fruity olive oil and sea salt was good. I have to say the unctuous insistence on "the local" in SF and Marin can drive a San Diego girl a bit irate (why does everyone have to keep proclaiming their virtue, thus? - just get on and do it) so I enjoyed the touches of whimsy with stuffed birds, a wall of tiny antlers, and seaweed tossed over lights.

Visited October 2013
San Francisco, California
“Huge disappointment”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

We were so excited to try this place. We live nearby and really wanted to love it. We did not. The food was ok. Pretty good. Not great by any means.

But the service was so bad that I thought we were on Candid Camera. We arrived on time for a 7:30 reservation. There was no one greeting a long line of diners who arrived in to the foyer. Several of these people had earlier reservations, and it was clear the restaurant was backed up. At the host's podium was no one. Instead, there was a sign that just ready, "clearly i'll be right back". he or she was not. we stood there for a good 20 minutes before anyone appeared. when my husband turned to hand me a glass of water, the owner sat the couple who was behind us and who had a later reservation. when asked why she gave our table to people with a later reservation, she just said, "clearly, i'm confused". The word "sorry" never was uttered by a single staff member of Sir and Star. She then proceeded to seat us in the entry hall, by a drafty window. the waiter appeared and told us we must try the dinner roles--i was so hungry and he said they arrive quickly and hot!. ok, sure, we'll try the dinner rolls. we then had to ask for the dinner rolls no fewer than 4 times. my husband's entree arrives, and it's not what the waiter said it was. when prompted about the dinner rolls, he said he'd go get them. then he comes back and says they are all out of dinner rolls. when i asked if he had any bread, he said no and did an about face and walked away. at the end of the meal, we told our waiter how bad our experience was, and he merely smirked and said "it's the twilight zone!" i'm not making this stuff up! this is the experience we had at sir and star. good luck, lady. we won't be bothering you any further for anything.

• Visited May 2013