“Destination more than pass through”
Review of Ranch Motel

and 1 more site!
Ranch Motel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Olancha
Bishop, California
“Destination more than pass through”
Reviewed July 10, 2012

I spent 9 months traveling across the country and staying in 100's of hotels. This place is easily in my top 5 favorite. I enjoy it so much that I continually go back to stay. My wife and I treat it not so much as a place to stay on your way to somewhere else, but as a get away from it all destination. It has a wonderful location that makes you feel like you are close enough to town to get what you need but far enough away to feel some peace and relaxation.
The rooms are all clean and well taken care of. You have the choice of many rooms in the main building and more isolated cabins on your own. Judy the manager is amazingly friendly and helpful. She's always there for whatever you need.
When we discussed all of the places we wanted to get married, my wife and I couldn't think of anywhere we wanted to have the ceremony rather than the Ranch. We were able to reserve the entire hotel for family and friends. It made it a very wonderful day for us to spend with our loved ones in one of the places we feel most at home. After the weekend I had many friends and family tell me that after originally wondering why we would choose a location like the Ranch that now they understood.
I also feel like all of the bad things i have read about it are unfounded. It seems like if you're looking for things to complain about, you will find them. If you go to the Ranch with an open mind a a quest to relax, you will find it. I almost feel nervous about saying all of these things about it because if it becomes too popular for me to get a reservation, i will be pretty depressed.
Overall, The Ranch is not the Hilton but thats what is pretty nice about it. Nice rooms, lots of character, great hospitality, and no excuse but to sit by and watch the world go by. I hope to return there many times in the future

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Ryan M

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Slovak first
Bishop, California, United States
Reviewed July 9, 2012

If you are looking for a 5 star motel in Olancha you must be lost but if you are looking for a nice getaway from the hustle and bustle of real life you have found the right spot. Our first trip out to "The Ranch" was a surprise birthday party for a good friend and we all fell in love with the place. Since that first trip we have returned many times to this relaxing location and eventually two of the originals from our group ended up getting married here.

You won't find much in the way of amenities but if you are looking for a relaxing night away from it all this is the place for you.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with a group ask for the main cabin.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kirk L
San Bernardino, California
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Our son recently got married and he and his wife to be selected the Ranch Motel as their venue. If you are looking for a really fancy location, you won't find that in Olancha. If you are looking for a unique location with lots of character, clean rooms, and a manager, Judy, who will do anything to make your stay pleasant, visit the Ranch Motel! We were there a total of five days and it was great! Thank you, Judy, for all of your help and cooperation.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jennifer M
Clovis, California
Reviewed February 21, 2012

We spent the night here after thinking we'd be adventurous, rather than stay in a brand name place. It didn't look like much from the street, but it ended up being a pretty cool place to stay. We stayed upstairs in room 6. It had a pretty cool view of the Sierra mountains.
We had a nice time. Outside there is a firepit where you can sit and relax. We were able to keep cozy and roast marshmallows. The next morning we grabbed some coffee and watched the sun rise.
We recommend staying here. Next time we drive through we will make it a point to visit again.

Room Tip: Upstairs where there is a good view of the snow capped mountains.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Abbeyroadr
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 8, 2011

Four of us 20-something-year-olds stayed here on our way to Death Valley and had no idea what to expect after reading the other reviews here. What an amazing experience our night turned out to be! The owners, Jerry and Juanita, treated us like family and invited us to a bonfire party in the evening outside the motel. We stayed up most of the night with them hearing all their crazy tales of what they've done all their lives, and they showed us some of the local wildlife such as vinegar spiders and water beetles. They even showed us the "haunted" section of the motel haha.

The room was perfectly nice - two comfy double beds, en-suite with shower, TV, fridge, AC. Very good value too!

Juanita made us coffee in the morning and she and Jerry came to see us off before we left. It really was like staying with old friends - it felt like we'd known them forever even though we were only there for one night. We'll definitely stay there again if we're in the area, but Jerry & Juanita told us they're planning to move on in a year or so, so who knows what the new owners will be like. Go soon and have an amazing time before they leave!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank ChrisWickes
NY
Reviewed March 11, 2009

Visited this place during our West cost trip to California - we decided to do the popular circuit by Road - San Jose - Kings canyon - Sequoia - Death Valley - Las Vegas -
Grand canyon - LA. This trip was to cover about 2800 miles by road; since I had my 3 yr old daughter travelling we planned to have our pit stop close to a sightseeing spot
& rest for the night. After covering Sequoia, we had to take a logical night stop & had 2 choices - one was Olancha & the other town (i dont remember) was about 80-90
miles farther away from Olancha (1 1/2 hr more). I had read about Rach hotel in Olanch, but reviews at best were not very warm (all of it said the place was 'cold & spooky' to say the least). I decide that we will take a chance & stay there.

I had in fact called the hotel earlier that evening & asked them about room availability - the lady at the reception took down my name & said she will expect us. She also gave a call around 9pm to confirm if we would be in - I had said yes to this. We were starved & the time was about 12 mid night when we decided that we will definitely need to halt at Ranch motel & can't drive anymore.

The drive was fantastic though & my GPS showed that the hotel was about 8 miles away - thats when the hotel suddenly poped up in my left window- we reversed & came
in. As the road is wide & the sign is a little in, I missed seeing it. The first building did not have a reception area! thats when I noticed a board saying its at the back.
I drove around & that when my bones jumped out of my skin! 2 black cats just stood staring at my headlights. I recovered quickly & stopped. There is a out house behind the main building; I press the door bell, and a buxom blond opened the window & gave me the key. We went in - the place as mentioned, has a spooky feeling. The air conditioner worked fine. The bath curtain was in a broken down - delicate state - the tap did not work. Thats when I realized that it has to be turned clockwise wise to be opened !! There was a window which was mock! I realized it after trying to open it for about 10 min. But on the whole I expected the night to pass without incident.
But this was not to be; I could hear a constant hoot & howl in the distance which was scary & some door in the building kept banging at constant intervals.
Sleep caught up as we were too tired.

Morning is when I realized whats up - The place is littered with bones! animal bones, some animal skulls & some looked human too!?
There was a old horse cart with more bones. The cats were around as they liked to chew on them. Had the owners set it up to look like this (or) is it its natural state?
I wanted to find out.I tried chatting up with the blonde; she wasen't too helpfull either. She had moved with her boyfriend about 4 days back & they were new to this place. I asked her about the history of the place - she had none to offer & tight lipped. She only told that the owner stayed far away & the place was not maintained well over the years. She was sweet in a kind of distant-glazed-faraway way. She even helped us microwave some stuff.

On the whole, it was quite a experience - I liked the spook factor, I liked its convenience & its location - but it scores low on maintainance. But wait a minute - this could be the best possible place for a "out of body" experience or who knows a close encounter of the third kind - so be prepared, be scared, enjoy!

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank DeeKaaY
Chicago, IL
Reviewed July 28, 2008

If you are looking for an adrenaline rush, it's a place to stay. Really spooky. We arrived late at night and Death Valley was fully booked, so we had to stay outside of the park and this was the closest. We also saw an amazingly large spider in one of our rooms. Would stay here again only if we absolutely had to, and given that there aren't many choices around we may need to.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Front desk
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk

Travelers are raving about these Olancha hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Olancha
Olancha RV Park and Motel
#3 of 3 in Olancha
Mt. Whitney Motel
Mt. Whitney Motel
#8 of 8 in Lone Pine

Been to Ranch Motel? Share your experiences!