“Bounce into Bonnie Lu's. You'll feel like a time traveler.”

Bonnie Lu's Country Cafe
Ranked #2 of 97 Restaurants in Ojai
Cuisines: American, Delicatessen
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Great comfortable, not cheesy, 50's vibe with fun tunes going at just the right volume. A mom and pop and their kids diner that's been in business many years for obvious good reason. A little pricier than this FL girl is used to but hey, that's California. You can go a la carte though and that helps. The staff is friendly and warm. Located on the east end of the historic arcade here in Ojai, the view of folks strolling by is nice too.

There are newer reviews for Bonnie Lu's Country Cafe

Reviewed January 27, 2014

We love fun quirky places - and this place hit it on the mark. We absolutely loved the staff -they were all chipper and playful - we had some good laughs. The place is clean, and we both enjoyed our food. It's 50's diner-ish inside, which I find cute and charming. I'd definitely go here again -- especially because the staff was so nice.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

My wife and I were in Ojai for an overnight and our first stop in town was Bonnie Lu's. We luckily arrived just before the rush and were seated immediately. Staff was very friendly and the breakfast was very tasty. Cozy non fancy place which is what we wanted. We liked it so much , we returned the next morning for breakfast prior to leaving town.Location is great, right in the main part of town. We will be back!

Reviewed December 26, 2013

I stopped in here twice during a recent stay in Ojai. It was fun, the service great and the food delicious. It's unfussy, non-fancy diner food and they do it very, very well. The place is kitschy, decorated in fun colors with folksy memorabilia on the walls. The food is served on colorful plastic plates right out of the 50's by smiling waitresses who seem to genuinely like the people they serve.

My first meal at Bonnie Lu's was lunch. I ordered a Rueben with coleslaw and fries and iced tea. The Rueben was terrific! Gooey with dressing, no skimping on the meat and grilled perfectly. The slaw was fresh and both sweet and tangy and the fries were crisp and not overly salted.

The next morning I was planning on going to another place for breakfast but found it closed. So I headed back to Bonnie Lu's. While the day before the diner was packed with tourists, this morning, shortly after the placed opened, the patrons were mostly locals who knew each other well. As soon as I walked in the door, Lori, my waitress from the day before, greeted me by my first name. Gotta love that!

Deciding my diet was on vacation too, I ordered the chicken fried steak with scrambled eggs and hash browns and coffee. It was my favorite meal of my trip. Really! The steak was a sirloin steak, not cubed meat, still pink inside and covered in a wonderful sausage gravy. The hash browns were perfect - moist on the inside and very crisp and crunchy on the outside. The eggs were fluffy. And as greasy as this meals sounds, it wasn't. Okay, it was far from low-cal, but I didn't come away feeling like I had just consumed an oil slick. Great coffee, too, served in a souvenir mug from San Francisco. What's not to love?

If you visit Bonnie Lu's, say "hey" to Lori for me!

Reviewed November 14, 2013

Downtown Ojai, small but cute inside. Waitress was friendly and helpfull. Breakfest was a recommendation from a local who we met so I ordered the eggs benedict with their sausage gravy. It was different but I believe I like it better than the usual hollandise sauce. Next time we will try lunch.