“My dogs were spoiled in Ojai!”
Review of Ojai Valley Inn

Ojai Valley Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Ojai
Reviewed October 17, 2010

We traveled to Ojai for a weekend outing with friends celebrating a bachelor and bachelorette weekend. The guys went golfing, saw deer, were served drinks along the way and had a ball! Us ladies luncheoned in the Herb Garden. Then the entire group met up for dinner at Boccali's Italian restaurant near-by.
My boyfriend and I brought our dogs along and the staff was so friendly towards them. Our room was roomy with a large balcony. There were dog bowls and dishes set out and there names were on the door!
We spent time roaming the grounds and taking photos just wishing we had an extra day to visit the spa...next time!
We had a snack at the Pub and enjoyed a wonderful breakfast at the Oak Grill. Their buffet looked great, but we ordered from the menu and thoroughly enjoyed our breakfast.
My favorite moment is when I realized their cockatoo was "barking" as us as we were walking by the the dogs. He was so interested in them that he walked across the cage to look at my dogs at eye level. My dogs had no idea what to think, but it was memorable!
I'm hoping to return for Christmas or my birthday!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 15, 2010

From the moment the valet takes your car, you have been transported to a care free world in which your biggest decisions will be which delectable treat to consume from one of the ambrosial restaurants or which spa treatments to have at the renowned spa. The lobby is inviting and the check in staff is more than helpful including a short verbal tour with a map of the premises. Much like a small town with its own public transportation system, golf carts are manned, plentiful and ready to assist with taking guests to their rooms or anywhere else they need to go while staying at the Inn via shuttle “bus” stops at varied points throughout the sprawling grounds.

The rooms are cozy and warm, decorated Spanish colonial including tile work and four poster beds, many have fireplaces and most have private balconies or patios overlooking the golf course and nearby mountains. Ours came with wi-fi and flat-screen TV with Direct TV. Rooms are accompanied with such luxuries as "Ojai Nest" Bedding, robes, oversized tub as well as a large shower, separated toilet area, and quality products.

Spa Ojai consists of the spa, salon, café, adult pool, Mind/Body center, high tech weight and cardiovascular room, boutique and Art/Enrichment Studio. The spa menu is full of treatments, massages and packages including seasonal treatments using ingredients plentiful for that particular time of year that are grown in the area. Kuyam, the signature mud treatment at Spa Ojai combines the therapeutic effects of cleansing mud, dry heat, inhalation therapy and guided meditation and is the only treatment of this type in the United States. The Mind/Body center offers daily schedules of classes such as yoga, meditation, stretching, and Pilates, which are all complimentary for guests. The Art/Enrichment Studio gives guests the chance to escape into their creativity with fun and fulfilling activities.

There is a par 70 golf course and they have a full list of options including private lessons, classes, daily clinics, club fitting and driving range.

Between the ambiance, service and food quality, a person could not find much better than Oak Grill Restaurant. With its herbs grown on the premises, hand picked by the chefs, it is the best around and the dessert alone is worth a drive to Ojai. The signature restaurant Maravilla with its extensive wine list and California Central Coast Cuisine is a must while staying at the resort - the service as impeccable as the food. Executive Chef Andy Arndt has come up with a menu sure to please the palate of any food connoisseur.

It is the extras that stand out to make the Inn the extraordinary place that it has become. To do something unique with that special someone, you can order a picnic basket made to your liking, delivered to your room and have a romantic lunch in the Hillside Herb Garden. Private poolside cabanas can be rented fully equipped with the essentials including water, misters, newspaper and playing cards. There is tennis, beach cruiser rental, a ranch, children’s program and daily itineraries with the weather forecast and schedule for the Inn’s activities. Whether someone wants to sit back and relax by the pool or have a vacation full of things to do, this will not be a disappointing pick.

The unspoken theme of the Ojai Valley Inn & Spa seems to be going the extra mile, the details, the care put into every aspect. It could not be more apparent than in the people who make it happen - that smile from across the room by the woman arranging the flowers or the nod across the lawn from the Gardner are genuine. The employees noticeably aren’t being nice just because it is their job but because they care and they helped build back the resort with their own hands and made it into one of California’s premiere resorts (check out the history of the renovation years back…it is quite compelling).

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dawnlpm
Reviewed October 12, 2010

A perfect quick trip from LA. Lovely grounds, nice pool areas, plenty of restaurants on and off site. Good for grown-up and families.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed October 10, 2010

When to the Ojai Valley Inn and Spa for our 30th wedding anniversary and it was wonderful. The room, grounds and service were first rate. Played golf, used the pool but didn't have time to try out the spa. Will have to wait for a return trip to experience that.

Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2010

I have always wanted to visit/stay at this hotel but it was quite costly. When I saw a travelzoo deal for nearly 1/2 the price I booked it for my husband and I to take our first trip with our 8 month old daughter. I was nervous to go away for a weekend, as this is our first child, and so I e-mail Customer Service to ask about crib availability ahead of time and after a week still received no response. This bothered me so I used trip advisor to see past experiences.

The hotel is in a beautiful area. We had perfect weather in May (upper 70's). The hotel itself (lobby, pools, restaurants, golf course and grounds) are truly breathtaking. They gave you a child gift basket with mini lotion, shampoo and soaps which was a great touch. They provided a mini fridge at a cost (1 flat $15 fee, not per might) for that we used for her food and milk. They provided a wooden crib which was a lifesaver because I don't think I could have fit a pac n' play along with everything else in the car.

I did took advantage of their yoga classes both mornings. They also have a list of free activites through the day. My husband jogged with our daughter along the path around and through the hotel. We went into town to eat half the time as the hotel restaurants were wonderful but expensive.

The only problem was the room. Our room (I forgot the number) was right above the valet and so we could here the valet guys all day and a little at night. It was clean but quite small for the price and not as luxurious as I was expecting/hoping for considering the rooms are close to $400 /night minimum.

I would definitely go back because they provided great service, the staff was wonderful and the grounds were beautiful. Very family friendly.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Megan K
Reviewed September 29, 2010

As some others alluded to, u can purchase a Day Spa plan,- at $75 per person, for the Day, i believe, from 9am til about 730 pm. I've done it on a Friday, & it happened to be very quiet that day. by 430 pm, the Spa pool was almost deserted 'cept. for us. And, 99% of Spa Cafe folks are quite nice, very friendly & accommodating. A little politeness fm the Guest side can go a long way, folks.!

Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 22, 2010

We spent our anniversary at Ojai Inn and Spa, and could not have been happier. It is a perfectly manicured property, the food is great, and there is a lot to do. Most impressive is the service - truly outstanding.
Because it was our anniversary, we found a red velvet cupcake and card in our room on arrival.

We took advantage of the numerous classes, the gym, the pools, and the driving range, but the best two things that we did were taking a guided hike with Chuck, and eating at Maraveille - the formal dinner restaurant.

Chuck was an awesome hike guide - He found out what type of trail we were looking for and took us to a great spot. There were fanny packs provided with water and snacks, and at the end of the hike we got cold, lavender scented towels.

Maraveille was an incredible meal. Again, because of our anniversary, we were seated on the balcony during sunset and given a champagne toast. The food was just so good and the atmosphere and service were excellent - totally worth the money.

Other things that we particularly enjoyed were evening stretch classes with Pamela, yoga with Kent, lunch at the spa restaurant, and the Kuyam treatment in the spa, which consists of covering yourself with three types of mud, sitting in a hot room with lemongrass while doing a guided meditation, running through a cold shower, and then washing off in a warm shower and relaxing with tea on a private balcony.

On the day that we were leaving, we had breakfast at the Oak Grill and my waffle came with a strawberry butter that I really loved. I asked the server, Kristy, if she could pack it up for me to take home, and she instead brought me a whole fresh tub! This is just one example of the amazing service that we received from every staff member there.

We will definitely be returning to Ojai again and again!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ThreeDogMom
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ojai
Casa Ojai Inn
Four Seasons Resort The Biltmore Santa Barbara
Ojai Retreat
Ojai Retreat
#3 of 9 in Ojai

Been to Ojai Valley Inn? Share your experiences!