“Some areas of improvement needed”

Ojai Valley Inn & Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Ojai
Seal Beach, California
“Some areas of improvement needed”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

We've stayed here several times, and we have really loved our visits. This time, we felt some things have changed. Most of the spa classes are yoga related, I miss the variety of classeswe experienced in the past. Also the hair dryer needed cleaning. I guess when I pay as much as I did, I expect not to look at trapped lint in the dryer. The pool magazines are old; from 2010. Really? I also recommend they get one more workout bench for the gym. It is annoying to try to share one workout bench with 3 other people. My dream would be if they redid the gym as nice as they have the rest of the resort. I did like my Reflexology treatment--Tina was awesome!
The room was still lovely; but we had to initially ask for a change of rooms. I think when you sign up on their Midweek Escape package they try to first give a "not so good" room. But the minute I asked for a new room, no hesitation in doing this for us. We will definitely go back; and hope they address some of these minor, yet irritating issues.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ume
OjaiResort, Guest Relations Manager at Ojai Valley Inn & Spa, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Thank you Ume for your review of the property and recommendations. We are continually looking at ways to improve our product offerings and sounds like we have a few areas to focus more attention on. Feedback is always appreciated as it helps direct us to specific areas and we take all suggestions and areas of improvement needed very seriously. Thank you for recognizing Tina and we will be sure to pass along to her!

Thank you for sharing some of the areas of improvement with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Director of Guest Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (526)
Corona del Mar, California
Reviewed April 18, 2014

I spent several days at Ojai Valley Spa and Resort as a get-away to celebrate birthdays with my girlfriends. I had always wanted to swing through Ojai and never had. I loved the resort! It was beautiful; it was relaxing. The classes were fun. The food was wonderful, and the spa was exquisite. I am that traveler that loves to experience places, and loves to find a good place, but I rarely return. I look forward to making Ojai Valley Spa and Resort a regular destination.

Room Tip: I loved being out by the spa.
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank clz7
clz7, thank you for choosing Ojai Valley Inn to celebrate the birthdays with your friends! Happy to hear it was the "best escape ever", especially with it being your first time staying with us. We understand that there are a lot of options to choose from out there and appreciate you wanting to make us your regular destination! We warmly accept and can't wait to welcome you back for your next best escape!

Laguna Beach, California
Reviewed April 18, 2014

My girlfriends and I just returned from the perfect girl getaway stay at this historic and beautifully maintained resort. From the minute we arrived, the staff was friendly and attentive to our every need. Our first night we dined outside (the best tortilla soup ever!) and witnessed the famous 'pink moment'. ' We enjoyed many of the exercise classes, rented bikes, and had fabulous spa treatments. Our mini suite was spacious and recently renovated. The luscious green golf course wraps around the property and makes for a peaceful setting. If I could give this resort a 6 dot rating I would. It is truly a gem in California!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Glad to hear you enjoyed your slice of Paradise 143JulieF2014 with us! Sounds like you enjoyed all aspects of the property and even lucky enough to see our infamous "Pink Moment" during your stay. We hope you and your girlfriends can come visit us again in the near future and maybe even stay a little longer to enjoy more of what Ojai has to offer!

We appreciate the attempt for the 6 dots for the review and can't wait to welcome you back to the property soon!

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Our group of six friends had the most wonderful two day "retreat" at the Ojai Valley Inn & Spa. From the very first phone call with Hope for our spa reservations, to Phillip the bell hop who took care of us as we checked into and out of the hotel and the wait staff at the restaurant, pub and spa cafe - the attention to detail was remarkable. This place understands the meaning of "customer service". We were greeted with a smile everywhere and none of us wanted to leave. Our rooms had beautiful views, were spacious and comfortable. Our one night and two day visit left us relaxed and feeling as if we'd gotten away for a week. We are already planning our trip for next year, but have decided we will need to stay at least two nights. ENJOY!!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you Sarah K for your review! Happy to hear that you and your girls getaway group enjoyed your time with us. I will be sure to recognize Hope and Phillip for assisting in making your stay more enjoyable from the start. We look forward to welcoming you and your group back for next year (if not sooner) and getting an extra or night or two, to enjoy and relax a little longer!

Thank you!

Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed April 12, 2014

Had a wonderful ladies-only trip to Ojai and enjoyed every minute of our stay! The herb garden pool was amazing with extremely attentive staff to prep our lounge chairs, bring iced water, move umbrellas, and take meal orders. LOVED the free yoga and hoop classes. Take advantage of these! Our room was huge and had a lovely fireplace and balcony. Wished the room had 2 queens instead of doubles, but we managed. The only regret? That we didn't stay longer!! Highly recommend.

Room Tip: The view from room 368 is gorgeous - mountains and golf course.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Glad you were able to find some relaxation Dina805 during your visit with us! Thank you for acknowledging the work of our associates as we do focus on training and development throughout the property and love it when our team is recognized for their efforts!

We hear it often that people always wish they had more time when staying with us; hopefully on your next visit you are able to stay longer to enjoy more of what the property and community has to offer!

Cleveland, OH
Reviewed April 11, 2014

My recent trip to Ojai Valley Inn & Spa was my first to this area - and I immediately felt at home and fell in love with the small, sleepy town and the warm resort. I arrived with my dog (Bacon!) and had reserved a Fireplace Shangri-La Room. It was very spacious, with a large bedroom, fireplace, desk and a bathtub separate from the shower area - very luxurious feeling. However, my room did not have a balcony or patio, which I was expecting. I called the front desk to inquire and was met with extreme friendliness and helpfulness - Alyssa made some changes and I was immediately relocated to a room in the Herb Garden with a beautiful outdoor patio. I had a similar experience recently at a 'luxury' resort in Scottsdale that was not handled properly so this was a breath of fresh air and set the tone for the excellent and friendly service I received the entire stay. This is a large resort, with brilliant grounds (the golf course is spectacular. It made me want to golf - and I do not like to golf!), but it feels very intimate. The staff seem truly happy and friendly - it has a magical vibe.
There are several places to lounge (two pools at the spa area, one at the Herb Garden for adults, and a fourth family pool), many nooks to sit, and several places to dine or drink. I loved hanging out at Jimmy's outdoors right at the top of one of the greens, the mountains in the background. I didn't dine here very much except for breakfast - which was fantastic - because I have a wheat allergy. The resort does not have a gluten free menu and only specifies a few items (like shrimp cocktail) on the menu that are gluten free; when I asked, I was told they could 'probably' make other things gluten free, but because I am extremely sensitive, I chose to eat elsewhere. This would be one of my only complaints.
I highly recommend the classes (most are free of charge) and the spa. The classes range from spinning to yoga to Qi Gong. My experience at the spa was one of the best I've had, ever. I booked a 100 minute detox massage. The facilities are beautifully tiled and very warm; the coed lounge is light and relaxing and the treatment room - well, it had a fireplace. Need I say more? My therapist Bree was super friendly and knowledgable. And the massage was really exceptional - I completely zoned out and felt otherworldly for several hours after.
The resort is conveniently located to many things - such as the town (2 miles or so away), hiking trails, horse back riding (I rode at Bodee's and had a great experience) and restaurants. It IS a sleepy town - so don't expect action or bar hopping - but this is the charm of it. I particularly liked the Rainbow Bridge store and cafe (a mini Whole Foods with great take out or patio dining) and Hip Vegan - both only serve food until about 5pm however.
Overall, I felt at home immediately, immensely enjoyed the grounds and the resort, and cannot wait to return for my next adventure.

Room Tip: Higher floors are going to have more light. While I had a lovely room near the Herb Garden pool, it...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Thank you Candace P for your recent review of your stay with us! Happy to hear you and Bacon enjoyed your time with us and was delighted to hear Alyssa was able to assist you with finding you the right room for your stay and Bree provided a wonderful experience for you in the Spa. We will be sure to recognize them for helping make your stay memorable!

We have been redesigning and creating new menus that allow more options for certain dietary needs and desires. We can also adjust many of our dishes to accommodate specific dietary needs and requests. Our entire Food and Beverage Department is full of very talented individuals that can customize as needed. We hope you take advantage next time you are here with us!

Your next adventure awaits you...and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Bakersfield, California
Reviewed April 9, 2014

We have been going to Ojai Valley Inn and Spa for several years and have always enjoyed our visit. Over the last few years with new management a few subtle changes the resort has become our 'go to' place. The beautiful grounds, golf course and amazing spa make a place you don't have to leave. Not to mention the great restaurants on site! The resort is great for a romantic getaway or family holiday….they truly have something for everyone!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you Brown_B2014 for your continued loyalty! We appreciate you recognizing the efforts we have taken to improve the property year after year. Happy to hear we are your "go to" place and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Director of Guest Relations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ojai
Casa Ojai Inn
Four Seasons Resort The Biltmore Santa Barbara
Ojai Retreat
Ojai Retreat
#3 of 9 in Ojai
Su Nido Inn (Your Nest In Ojai)

Been to Ojai Valley Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!