“simply magical, simply charming, simply perfect!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ojai Valley Inn & Spa

Ojai Valley Inn & Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Ojai
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“simply magical, simply charming, simply perfect!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

A dream come true..this hotel surpasses all expectations...even came with a wedding...magical grounds, great facilities, spa experience from the facial and body scrub, to the massage all to perfection. My visit included a Michael Bolton sighting. Rented a bike on site and went for a great ride on an adorable bike path, golf, tennis, lavender...i loved it and would highly recommend the hotel, the rooms, the food, the music, the bike rental, the gold, the herbal pool and the list goes on. my favorite hotel so far this year!!!!! two thumbs way up!!!!

Room Tip: villa on the golf course...
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (460)
Ojai, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Visited Jimmys Pub with a group of friends for a let evening round of signature drinks - What an amazing evening under the moon and stars! Don't mean to be overdramatic, but we were treated to great selection of beer and tequila at the Pub. Thanks to Rudy for his attentive service, and to Shanda for her drink recommendation and sampling. Again, a perfectly amazing evening!

• 4 of 5 stars
1 Thank Ed P
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We stayed here on the first night of our 47th anniversary week of celebrations and it couldn't have been a better start. The place was perfectly romantic. The staff was friendly and helpful and went out of the way to make our stay wonderful. The food at the Oak Grill was delicious at both meals we ate there and the setting, again, was perfectly romantic. As my bride said, this is my new favorite place.

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I recently spent two nights at the Ojai Valley Inn and Spa hotel. We were visiting Ojai for the music festival but the Inn was definitely the highlight of the trip and a pleasant surprise.

OVERALL
The Ojai Valley Inn and Spa is a large SPRAWLING resort-style, five star hotel that caters to wedding goers (I believe there were 3 while we were there), golfers and families with children. The overall property is not "new" but has been renovated and upgraded over the years. It is by far the nicest place to stay in Ojai.

It reminded me very much of the Bacara Resort near Santa Barbara (about 45 min away). I liked the Ojai Valley Inn much better despite the fact that the Bacara was newer and had an ocean front location. Despite the fact there were so many weddings, I was surprised at how well the place operated despite all of the weddings going on - it appears they have the right levels of staffing to serve those of us who are NOT there for a wedding. I appreciate and admire the way this place is run - if you didn't see all of the overflow parking you wouldn't even know that there were so many different events going on.

LOCATION
The Ojai Valley Inn and Spa is a quick walk to the quaint downtown area. We walked everywhere and only took 15-20 minutes to get to a bunch of great restaurants and one (crazy) bar in Ojai. Basically you walk to the entrance of the property and near the tennis courts is a sign for the hiking trail. This is a walk/bike trail and goes directly to downtown - you can't get lost. Note - if you are walking back at night bring a flashlight (or have an app on your phone ready as it gets dark!). We also drove to a great and challenging hike (horn canyon) near a school that the concierge directed us to.

CHECK IN
Check in was smooth and the young woman who helped us out was super friendly. We were given an upgrade to a Junior Suite near the adult pool. Parking is far from the rooms so plan to use the valets.

GETTING AROUND THE RESORT
The resort consists of numerous buildings with various levels and views. I still can't get my head around all of it - it's a good thing they provide a map! I enjoyed walking around the property and going up and down all of the stairs, etc. Be sure to check out the various pools and the large bird cage was interesting. They also had some small bites at the adult pool before dinner.

ROOM
The room was surprisingly up to date and had a modern, upscale feel. (I didn't expect this) The blue azul colors in the room gave everything a clean feel and the bed, pillows and bedding were all excellent and California modern. The bathroom was done in a mexican tile (not my favorite finish) but it worked with the other blue and white colors in the room. The toiletries were of a high quality and there was a separate soaking tub and shower (shower in with the toilet in a separate space). I liked that there was a laundry basket for dirty towels. We requested a refrigerator and it was complimentary and received promptly.

DINING
We enjoyed lunch at one of the pools and it was honestly incredible. We split the heirloom tomato salad and a black bean burger with sweet potato fries. Both were excellent but the Tomato Salad was a work of art. Sitting on a basil-cream puree were colorful and perfect chunks of heirloom tomatoes. On top of that was some amazing burrata and then decorated in a weave were some pickled onions. Truly delicious - we have since tried (and failed) to recreate this at home. We also had breakfast at the main restaurant and enjoyed that as well. We experienced excellent service everywhere we went.

ROOM SERVICE
We had room service breakfast which was expensive and delicious.

VALET
The resort is large. I liked walking around but if it's ever an issue there are tons of valets driving golf carts around. They make a point of stopping if they see you walking and are quick to offer a ride. One thing to keep in mind, if there are a lot of wedding guests parking will quickly disappear and it's difficult for the valet team to keep up. I imagine this would be at its worst on a Saturday night.

GYM
We didn't use the spa but it looked nice and appeared well staffed. The gym was very nice (downstairs from the spa), was well equipped with a decent amount of free weights and resistance training equipment for a hotel

In all honesty, before the trip I wasn't that excited to go to Ojai. But after staying at the Ojai Valley Inn and Spa, I could honestly go once a year for a few days if I knew I was staying here. It's a relaxing, picturesque place to stay and after walking by some of the other hotels, the only "nice" place to stay. (some of the other hotels we walked by looked downright scary). Highly recommended - visiting this resort is a good excuse to spend a few nights in Ojai.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the adult pool
1 Thank DonFTL
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for our 5 year anniversary and were not disappointed. An activity/experience coordinator contacted us within a couple days of booking our rooms. I let her know that we were staying there for our 5 year anniversary and she helped arrange appointments for the spa. In addition, she can coordinate other activities for you such as horse back riding, bike rides, hiking, etc...

The town of Ojai is small and very nice. Plenty little artsy shops to peruse. We spent a little bit of time in the town of Ojai and spent the rest of it at the resort.

The resort grounds are very beautiful and all framed with a backdrop of southern california mountains. From the moment we arrived, the resort staff were all very attentive and friendly which made it feel all the more special. Just about everything about the resort and spa are incredible. My wife and I had spa treatments and were very impressed with the quality of the professional staff and the treatments themselves (I would recommend making appointments well ahead of your stay).

There are several restaurants onsite (Maravilla, Oak Grill, Jimmy's Pub and small cafes). All are excellent should you decide to stay onsite for dinner. We had our anniversary dinner at the Maravilla and sat outside on the balcony. I would highly recommend and request ahead of time as there are only a handful of tables available on the balcony.

There are numerous pools that you can lounge at. We spent an afternoon relaxing at the outdoor spa pool. Again the poolstaff were excellent and were always available to bring us water and take orders for cocktails or food.

In conclusion, I'd highly recommend the Ojai Valley Resort and Spa for any special occasion. We were there for an anniversary but there are activities available for those with children as well that would be give you time to relax on your own. As with just about any resort I've stayed at (in the U.S.), it's not cheap and there are the usual markups you'd expect such as daily resort fees, pricey drinks/meals, etc... but they treat you very well here and it's a wonderful getaway.

Room Tip: Would love to choose something over looking the Mint Garden areas. That being said, I'm sure mo...
    • 4 of 5 stars
1 Thank Zandago
Fort Collins
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

One of the best resorts. Excellent service and romantic atmosphere. Just outstanding service and ambiance. Took golf lessons and our coach, Lee, was outstanding. Highly recommend the neff room package. Very quaint rooms with all amenities. Bed was extremely comfortable, service outstanding. Had in room service which was punctual and excellent variety in menu items. Can't miss the bird, Casper. He was so fun to watch and speak with.

Pasadena, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We've stayed 3 times in the past year, and have now booked several rooms for our 25th anniversary celebration in August. At every point but one we have had our expectations exceeded: friendly staff, beautiful rooms, dining and room service. The one exception are the phone systems, which seem to be a relic from about 1985, and while you can leave messages, they may not get delivered, so follow up!
But that is a really small thing, compared to how well-taken-care-of we feel when we arrive. The dining is a bit old-fashioned, as is the clientele (including me), so if you are looking for avant-guard cali cuisine, this shouldn't be your first choice. It's only delicious, well-prepared and served properly. For my wife and me, that's perfect.

• 5 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ojai
Casa Ojai Inn
Blue Iguana Inn
Blue Iguana Inn
#2 of 9 in Ojai
4.5 of 5 stars 476 reviews
Su Nido Inn (Your Nest In Ojai)

Been to Ojai Valley Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!