“Superb”
Review of Ojai Valley Inn

Ojai Valley Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Ojai
Reviewed April 13, 2008

Despite some construction work going on during the afternoon of our arrival (beneath our bedroom) and no hot water in the shower in the evening (2 events that usually would have put us in a pretty bad mood), the hotel dealt with both issues quickly - and even delivered a basket of fruit with a hand written apology.

Great place, beautiful surroundings and very solid service all round.

Stayed: April 2008

Reviewed April 6, 2008

I had heard many nice comments about this property, so I was greatly anticipating a recent weekend getaway. The property itself is very nicely situated. I enjoyed the quiet, beautiful grounds, but the pool areas, including the spa pools, were nothing special.

Check-in went smoothly, and the staff were willing to make a last-minute request change. The room we had originally been given was already ready for our early arrival, so I was impressed that they were ready to accommodate early arrivals. Since we changed rooms, we had to wait, which was no problem.

We wandered over to the pool area to have a bit of late lunch outdoors. Our server was friendly but not helpful with recommendations. We ordered a chicken sandwich to share after our server assured us that the chicken would "probably be" juicy, not dry. It came very dry. After choking down a few bites, we asked the server for a replacement. He later returned to let us know the kitchen was closed - our order evidently just squeaked by the cut-off time. I was disappointed that the kitchen was unwilling to "open" to rectify their problem. Instead, they removed the sandwich (sans three bites) from our bill and apologized. We left hungry.

Later in the evening, we ate at Jimmy's Pub and had a salad and pizza; they were both good, and we were very satisfied with our service there.

Our room was lovely. It was in a building that was built in the 1930's, so it had that old, hacienda ambience which we both loved. Beautiful shiny, terra cotta tiles were in the public areas lit by wall sconces bejeweled in bright colors, and there was a fireplace and seating at the entrance to the building. It is a two-story with no elevator, but the stairway was open, much like it would be in a home.

What I enjoyed most about the room was it's shape, which I know sounds odd. Most hotel rooms are elongated rectangular affairs with the bathroom to the immediate left or right of the entrance, but our room was like a typical bedroom. You walk into a square room which feels so much more open and inviting. The bathroom was in the farthest corner. Again, it was a roomy square shape with a tub, toilet and pedestal sink. While the tile work in the tub/shower was lovely, the tile on the floor was worn and littered with deep scratches. There was also very little room to place personal item because of the pedestal sink. There was a small ledge and class shelves, but they were awkward to use. There was also a large window in the bathroom which provided natural lighting and air.

The four poster bed was wonderful with nice linens, pillows and down comforter. There was even a small, wooden stepstool if a guest needed an extra lift onto the bed.

The room opened up to a large, shared balcony through shuttered french doors. I had never had this experience and was worried that we'd get some loud neighbors. But we never saw or heard them. The view was of a courtyard, nothing special, and there was only one chaise and table.

There was a large closet with the mini-bar inside and the coffee maker on top of the refrigerator. It was very awkward making coffee inside a closet!

My biggest complaint about the room has to be the positioning of the television, which should be on the opposite wall to the bed but wasn't. I am not a big television viewer, but whenever we tried to watch television, we'd have to swing the tv out and angle it toward the bed. My husband was unable to see the right side of the screen from his angle, and my view was obstructed by the bed post. A small annoyance which could easily be rectified as the room was large enough to move the furniture into a more user friendly layout.

The spa facilities were very good and clean. My husband and I enjoyed our massages, which were scheduled on a Saturday. The only complaint is that the common waiting areas were too busy with people waiting for their appointments - not very relaxing when all the sofas and chairs are taken up by guests, and you have to stand around waiting. Either a larger area or more widely spaced appointments would rectify that.

While at the resort, we made two requests, neither of which was honored. One was for an extra bath mat, and the other was for immediate delivery of a letter we had been expecting. We just gave up on the first and had to call and ask the concierge to deliver the latter.

Overall, the resort is very nice. It's a unique property with a lot of potential. The service was very good most of the time with a few disappointments sprinkled throughout. I enjoyed my time there and would probably visit again. I am a little hesitant to consider this a AAA five-star property however.

1  Thank Katrinacat
Reviewed March 30, 2008

My sister and I just arrived home a few hours ago from our lovely two night stay at the Ojai Valley Inn and Spa. The drive into Ojai is really beautiful. Our arrival was swift and we had the car valet parked within minutes. Check-in was also quick although we arrived early and our room was not yet available. We killed a few hours by sitting outside at Jimmy's Pub and sampled a few drinks starting with the Pick Moment. It was a little too sweet for our taste so we ordered a few beers and enjoyed our patio table, which was perfect for people watching.

After we were given a quick tour of the property by golf cart, we were helped with our bags into a nice room in the Fontana building near the spa. Dinner at the Oak Grille was really tasty, starting with a fantastic bruschetta and followed by a scallop and beef short rib dish which were both delicious.

The following morning started with room service of eggs and fruit which was delivered promptly and hot. We then made our way to the spa for the day with two treatments each. We both had massages followed by facials, which we both enjoyd very much. After our treatments, we spent the rest of the day at the spa pool reading and eating a lite lunch. After enjoying a steam, sauna and jacuzzi, we were done for the day. Dinner was room service while we ordered two movies.

Our final day at the resort began with a long walk around the property and a breakfast buffet at the Oak Grille. Anyone who is looking for a large, spread out resort will really enjoy this hotel. It is a fantastic place to unwind. The food was great, the people on staff were polite and worked really hard . This hotel and it's location are just stunning.

Don't hesitate to stay here, it is a true gem full of history.

• Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed March 24, 2008

Fantastic stay. Didn't want to leave. Eveything was perfect. Can not say enough good things about this resort. We will be back!!

Reviewed March 17, 2008

This is my third visit to the Ojai Valley Inn and Spa and definitely not my last. Its luxurious accomodations in a serene, tranquil setting make it a 5-star resort in every sense of the word.

The last two times I've visited the Ojai Valley Inn my boyfriend and I have stayed in the Paseo Suites, which I believe are approximately $1500 a night. The room rate is very expensive but fortunately we have a connection. After staying in these marvelous suites, I couldn't stay in any other type of room. The suites are located in the Paseo Villas, away from most of the other rooms, and offer privacy and luxury that is unsurpassed. There is an entire living and dining area separate from the bedroom, as well as a huge enclosed patio with firepit. This is the only hotel I have visited where I would rather stay in my hotel room during the whole vacation than leave it. I have stayed in the smaller Ojai room as well and all the accomodations seem to be lovely no matter where you stay, I just prefer the size and location of the Paseo suite. Also, I always take my Pomeranian with me so he appreciates the spaciousness of the suite since he can run around all over the place like at home instead of being cooped up in a smaller room.

The spa is heavenly and absolutely cannot be missed! I have experienced a massage, facial, and the Kuyam. This is their signature treatment and if you experience one thing at the spa it has got to be the Kuyam. This treatment is not offered anywhere else in the U.S. I can't explain it, you just have to experience it for yourself. Also, the spa houses a state-of-the-art gym which has better equipment than any gym I've ever been to, let alone a hotel gym.

The Ojai Valley Inn is expensive but worth every penny. The staff is extremely warm and will cater to your every need and there are amenities to suit everyone's needs. Most importantly, this hotel is pet-friendly!

1  Thank Enrilynne
Reviewed February 20, 2008

My family (myself, hubby and 2 kids) stayed at the Ojai Valley Inn and Spa last weekend . After a few hiccups with our room, I have nothing but great things to say about this resort.

Kudos to Amy S. the rooms' manager. Amy worked very hard to make sure that we were really comfortable. She took extra time to ensure that our stay would be exceptional.

Our kids met other children at Camp Ojai and they had a blast. Previously, Camp Ojai included horseback riding and pony rides for the kids. However, a few weeks ago, torrential rains washed away much of the ranch associated with Ojai Valley Inn. Therefore, the horses were moved to new homes. I understand that the petting zoo may make a comeback in the near future. The talking parrots are still around.

My husband and I had a great time because our kids had a wonderful time. They loved all of the crafts and play time at Camp Ojai. While the kids were at "camp" I went to the spa for a nice massage and jaccuzi and my husband went to the tennis courts for a lesson.

The location at the Ojai Inn is absolutely breathtaking. The mountains that surround this valley are steep and majestic. The inn itself is on 220 acres of land including a sculptured golf course. The pool was nice and the kids had fun splashing around with all of the other kids here. Well-behaved dogs are allowed to stay with their families in certain parts of the property.

What really makes Ojai Valley Inn special is the staff. The people here are honestly friendly and helpful. Judi C. at the spa called 5 different local salons trying to find me a service that they did not have at the Ojai spa on her own initiative.

I'm really glad that we came to Ojai Valley Inn and Spa and I hope that we will come back here soon.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed February 18, 2008

Ojai Spa is a wonderful hotel. This was our second time back this year. This stay we stayed in the one bedroom suite. It was VERY expensive but worth it since we spent 80% of our time in the room. We had dinner at Maravilla both nights and the meal was AMAZING. If you have the money to spend on a beautiful very expensive getaway Ojai spa is the place to go.

negatives.
1. For $500 + a night they really need Wireless there is no wireless at all on the grounds.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ojai
Casa Ojai Inn
Four Seasons Resort The Biltmore Santa Barbara
Ojai Retreat
Ojai Retreat
#3 of 9 in Ojai

Been to Ojai Valley Inn? Share your experiences!