“a great staff”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Ojai
Benicia, California
“a great staff”
Reviewed January 29, 2008

After reading some of these reviews I was a little worried at how we would be treated by the staff, especially because we look so young and don't drive a fancy car. I'm happy to say that the staff was fantastic! Everybody was super polite and went out of their way to make us feel comfortable. It was one of the worst storms of the year and the hotel staff did a great job doing all they could to keep us dry and happy. My only reservation would be in recommending their fine dining restaurant. Although the food was good (not over the top great) and the service outstanding, I still felt it was overpriced. We stayed in to eat because we didn't want to weather the storm but I don't know that I would eat there again. Our breakfast at the Oak Grill was yummy and HUGE. Way too much for one person to eat.

• Liked — Service, cleanliness and style
  • Disliked — expensive
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (526)
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed January 21, 2008

I have visited the Ojai Valley Inn twice and both times it was amazing. My girlfriends and I went for one night for a girls weekend and we had a wondeful time. We only wished we could have stayed longer. Check in was a breeze and the staff was very helpful. We took a couple of the complimentary exercise classes and our spa treatments were fantastic. Contrary to the other review that mentioned it very crowded in June, we found the grounds very serene and not overly crowded. This resort is my favorite destination when I need to get away but don't want to go too far. I highly recommend this to anyone who wants to be pampered. You will come back feeling relaxed and rejuvinated. We love it so much that we're planning a two night visit for this coming February!

• Liked — Spa, beautiful scenery, staff, room comfort
  • Disliked — nothing!!
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank HBR
seattle
Reviewed January 21, 2008

My husband and I just returned from a weekend at the Ojai Valley Inn and Spa and we couldn't have been more pleased. When we arrived at the Inn we were greeted so warmly and immediately after check in shown our room. We reserved a "fireplace room" which was exquisite! We were then given a tour of the resort which is lovely. We dined both nights in Ojai as we neglected to make reservations at the fine dining restaurant at the Inn. Both restaurants were exceptional (Suzanne's and Auberge). These were recommendations by the concierge. During the day we borrowed bikes from the resort (no charge) and rode in to town and around the neighborhoods. Later we enjoyed the spa services (massage, pedicure) all were delightful. From the moment you arrive to the moment you leave, you will not be disappointed. We will come back to the resort... very soon I hope.

• Liked — beautiful bedding, comfortable room, view of the golf course
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank schwartzps
Bakersfield
Reviewed January 5, 2008

Three of us had a "girlfriends retreat" at the Ojai Valley Inn and Spa. We had reserved a Shangri-La room with two double beds and had arranged to have a roll-away brought in. When we checked in, the very nice gal at the front dest up-graded us to a suite, telling us she thought we'd have more room for the roll-away. What a delightful surprise when we arrived at our suite and saw the spaciousness! Beautifully decorated and comfortable beds with great beauty products that are made specially for the Inn. We also made appointments for two treatments at the spa -- a massage and a body scrub -- which were both nice but the scrub was our favorite. I would highly recommend this place for both the Inn and the spa. Also, we were there on the 2nd and 3rd of January and the weather was beautiful -- low 70's.

• Liked — Luxurious
  • Disliked — A little pricey but worth it
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank Bjrsmom
los angeles
Reviewed January 1, 2008

My husband and stayed here for our 10 year anniversary. We had a wonderful time at this beautiful resort hotel.

1. The room was great. It was very spacious, clean, well furnished. The bed was really comfortable. It had fluffy linens and comfy pillows. The bathroom was also great. The products were from the spa and smelled great.

2. The hotel grounds are beautiful. We had wonderful views of the mountains from our room. One morning we sat on our balcony and had breakfast. A great was to start the day.The herb garden is a lovely place to take a stroll. The grounds are very green and well taken care of. The golf course is beautiful.

3. We each had spa treatments. I enjoyed my pre-natal massage and mani-pedi. For your pedi you recline in a really comfy chair. At first it was a bit awkward, but I eventually feel fast asleep. My husband said his treatment was not very good. He got the shatsu massage and was disappointed in the quality of the massage.

4. We had dessert and breakfast at the grill. Both times the food was good. I know a lot of people have complained about the price, but hey look where you are staying. You are going to play more if you eat at the hotel, especially at this one. We also had dinner at the fancy restaurant. The dinner was delicious! The service was fantastic and we had a lovely evening!

5. It was really quiet here! We really liked the serenity that a resort like this offers you.

We had a wonderful time at this hotel and would go back in a heartbeat.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
California
Reviewed December 17, 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Ojai Valley Inn and Spa the first week of November, 2007. We made reservations through their website and everything went smoothly. But once we made the reservations, things went south in a hurry. A couple hours after making the reservation, we got a phone call from the hotel wanting to know if we wanted to make any spa reservations. We weren't sure what we wanted to do so we said we were not ready to make any spa reservations at this time and they were pretty pushy, letting us know that if we didn't make spa reservations soon, things would be booked up and we wouldn't get anything. We still didn't book anything and they were pretty snotty about it.

The hotel itself is on some very beautiful grounds, but the service levels are no where near 5 star. The young lady at the check-out counter seemed a little confused and had some trouble finding our reservation, but we got that squared away. We followed a bellman to a parking lot that was a long way away from our room, then loaded our luggage onto the golf cart and he drove us back up to our room. That was not the last time we would be subject to the golf carts. They are all over the place and very noisy. ANd they run at all hours of the day and night. You cannot get away from them and they are noisy and will disturb your sleep.

After getting checked in, we went to the more casual restaurant. We were the only people in the dining room at 6 p.m. I mean, there was no one else in the entire room. The service was still slow. It took for ever. The food was not bad, but it is WAY over-priced for the quality.

The king room we had was nothing special. The balcony over-looked the front of the spa, which also seemed to be the parking garage for a lot of those gas-powered golf carts. They run all night and are noisy. The bathroom was pretty good-sized, but that was about all it had going for it.

They really push the "Ojai nest bedding". I couldn't tell the difference between their bedding and any other hotel bedding. Additionally, the central heating never worked properly. We could never get warm air to come out of the vent.

My wife went to the spa for a couple of treatments. She was not impressed. They actually burned her eyelids when they waxed her eyebrows. I reported this in writing to the general manager named Anna Olsen, but she has never bothered to respond to my letter. My wife and I ended up filing a complaint with the State Board of Barbering and Cosmetology.

I find it pretty amazing that a resort that bills itself as "5 star" can provide such poor service and fail to respond to a customer complaint.

It's a very pretty location, but it is not even close to a "5 star" resort.

Stayed November 2007
13 Thank Spidey7477
New York, NY
Reviewed December 12, 2007

My wife and I stayed here the week of July 9th, and we had an amazing experience. We were upgraded to a suite upon arrival and found that anytime we needed anything, our needs were met with graciousness and class.

The facilities are sparkling as well, although the pools do leave a tiny bit to be desired - somewhat small and not necessarily inviting. We can't comment on the dinner menus as we ate off site every night. We highly recommend Auberge, Susanne's and the Ranch House - all great meals with excellent service.

We would certainly return to this resort without hesitation.

• Liked — The room
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank newyorkcitycouple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ojai
Casa Ojai Inn
Four Seasons Resort The Biltmore Santa Barbara
Ojai Retreat
Ojai Retreat
#3 of 9 in Ojai
Su Nido Inn (Your Nest In Ojai)

Been to Ojai Valley Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!