“Amazing place with excellent service!”
Review of Ojai Valley Inn

Ojai Valley Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Ojai
Reviewed July 16, 2011

The entire resort is gorgeous! The grounds, buildings, landscaping, decor and rooms are beautiful. The staff were incredibly helpful and friendly...they all seem to love working there and are very knowledgeable about the property. We ate at Maravilla twice and the food was outstanding. Super fresh ingredients, creative dishes, nice portions and very pleasant environment. We had two treatments at the spa and the massages were the best we have every had at a hotel spa. Plus the spa is facility is lovely, comfortable, very clean and super relaxing. Can't wait to return.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,724)

Reviewed July 9, 2011

We stayed at the Ojai Valley Inn & Spa for just one night and the following day; everything was really great! The room was beautiful, great bed, the location right next to the golf course great, everywhere there are little spa and pool areas or cafés. The service was excellent! Will definately go there again!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2011

Ojai Valley Inn&Spa has many different aspects and offerings. Romantic, peaceful, full of activities, not only physical but also artistic. Book a Mandala reading at the Artist Cottage. Have a massage at the Spa, play Golf, attend to one of many Fitness classes (offered everyday). Or, just enjoy the pool with super attentive Pool Host/Michael. Stay long enough to enjoy (minimum 4 nights) all the services and restaurants. Eat at Maravilla, super service, amazing menu and impressive wine selection.
Inn is very quite, rooms are comfortable and clean. You will have great night sleep.

Room Tip: There are different room types, some has fire place, terrace etcetera. Pick a room based on your nee...
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 7, 2011

The four of my high school girlfriends and I decided to take our pregnant friend here for a weekend getaway instead of throwing her a baby shower. I have been here several times before with my husband and children and adore this place. I love the surroundings, the pretty spanish colonial architecture, the relaxing atmosphere, the very nice spa, great food, and the realy wonderful service .

It was the perfect location in regards to it's perfect proximity to Los Angeles where most of us live. Yet, it feels like you are in a different country! Immediately after our arrival, my friends understood why I had insisted on coming here. The staff was very welcoming and the atmosphere of this 200 plus acre green and picturesque resort made us feel relaxed already!

We enjoyed a delicious lunch at Jimmy's pub overlooking the gulf course, then headed to the spa. The spa is very clean, and has very nice modern furnishings. Although the spa treatments are on the pricy side, it was worth every penny to have that feeling of true relaxation and to be able to sit with my friends of many years and just have girl time..... while we were awaiting our massages and afterwards just hanging out in the steam room, sauna and the jacuzzi.

We spent two nights there. Every morning we went for refreshing walks around the property and along the bicycle trails that extends out to the ojai itself. We enjoyed the 2 diffrent adult pools (one by the spa and the other brand new by the resort's herb garden).
The service by the pool was superb. They made every effort to make all of us comfortable especialy my pregnant friends.... getting her water at every instant, bringing her pillows to put under her leg... really nice.

Overall, we had a wonderful time. We decided that we will do this girls getaway weekend at ojai at least once a year ! special thanks to teri and amy for superb hospitality!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 6, 2011

This place pretty much lived up to the hype, especially for a family getaway. The resort grounds are huge, beautifully maintained and keep you feeling like you are in your own little world. The town of Ojai and the resort have an incredible 4th of July day with an old style parade an onsite bar-b-que followed by a great fireworks show. All of this is available right on the resort grounds. The sprawling layout of the resort allows you to feel more like you are at a ranch than a hotel. The staff are incredibly friendly and helpful, especially to families with little ones. There were A LOT of families there over the holiday weekend and everyone seemed to be having the time of their life. The hotel is situated on a hill and you should be in decent shape if you are going to walk from place to place, and the walk is well worth it. If you need assistance, there are shuttles that can take you anywhere you need to go at a moments notice. The only downside of this place is the cost of food. It is a 5-star resort and you will pay 5-star prices for food that is more along the 2-3 style. There are plenty of better options in town a short drive (or nice walk) away. However, don't plan on eating anywhere but the resort on the 4th of July as the entire town shuts down that day. Not a big deal, but be prepared to pay the higher prices for meals. All things said, this is a fantastic resort and I hope I can bring my family back for the 4th of July next year.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a peaceful location, ask for the Shagri-La or Herb Garden building
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 2, 2011

This was a return visit for me.The Inn and Spa had been completely renovated since my last visits. The overall layout of the property is casually based around a golf course, pools and very large and exceptional spa. The mountain views are lovely (ask for a view of the mountains rather than the golf course - or if you are fond of sylvan settings the rooms by the spa face nice oaks and landscaping). The decor is very nice, casual cotton prints and solids with a light updated California Spanish feeling. The rooms are impeccably clean. We booked a mini suite with fireplace - this choice had a less intimate feeling than the rooms I've stayed in the past - if we return I would "downgrade" to a Fireplace Shangri-la (they appear to have the same furnishings and amenities - the mini suite has a lot of extra open space - they do offer two room suites which are great if you are traveling with a friend with different sleep patterns). Fireplaces are gas. The balcony's vary from room to room - ask for a room with a more secluded balcony if you are less social as we are.
The big surprise this visit was the restaurant Maravilla - Fabulous! We both had meals that were exquisite two nights in a row. This is a chef who knows how to buy and prepare meats and as well design great vegetarian meals and veggie sides (we didn't get to try the fish offerings). Nice wine menu - interesting local selections. Food by both the spa pool and the adult pool was also excellent. Breakfast is slow and just okay - we ate breakfast twice and just bought scones in town for the third morning. Overall the kitchens are not quick - so if you have tee time or a spa treatment don't push it with breakfast or lunch at your assumed normal speed. At dinner who cares you are on vacation - so slow down and enjoy dinner (and hope the LA couple next to you isn't having a continually climaxing two hour argument - where she leaves the table - canceling and re-ordering dinner - really sweetie I don't care if he can't be in touch with his emotions - we're here to enjoy dinner and sunset not your soap opera).
Adult pool concept is wonderful, we were there on a weekday, very relaxing, very nicely laid out with seating areas and lounge chairs - lots of available pool floats, lovely lavender colored towels. Great service staff. Cell phones are not permitted by the pools or in the spa - but if you are NorCal like us or from the rest of the country - you will need to remember many of the guests are from LA and they always have exceptional needs.
The Spa - fabulous. Expensive, so you should allow time to enjoy all the extras, such as the hot tubs, steam room, sauna, pools. Everything you need is provided from robe and designer flip flops, right down to a hair brush and toiletries. I had a very good 100 minute massage and an excellent facial. My significant other had a 100 minute massage he called his best ever and as a guy even braved a facial himself which he enjoyed. I tried a seasonal sugar treatment - the sugar scrub part was awful - hurt like hell - semi dry rub with lemon verbena - had to tell the technician to tone down the application pressure, which she did, but the treatment itself is simply abrasive (she mentioned the treatment was new and only a month old - they need to try it on themselves) - washing it off it did feel great and my skin was and still is soft - but I would never do this treatment again - it was not relaxing (second part with avocado was very nice) however even after two showers the clothes I wore after smelled up my suitcase with the fragrance. I've decided I'm not a fan of lemon verbena as a scent. So even though I am grumbling about the sugar treatment - the spa is wonderful and all the treatments I've had in the past were lovely (the Kuyum mud treatment is quirky - gave me the giggles and felt good).
Only Peaves - $10 for high speed internet per day (at $425 per night internet should be included along with the newspapers which are). Mini-Bar - No list of mini bar beverage items or their prices, nothing but canned nuts for snacks and one candy bar - you cannot see the bottled items which are inserted horizontally - you can't tell peligrino water from wine or soda and the way they are secured if you even touch them you are charged electronically. We ended up heading into town day two and buying some chips and wine to chill on ice for the evenings. Bring your own bottled water - tap water is highly chlorinated - bottled water in room is $4 (again at these prices if your water isn't perfect a small bottle per guest each day would be gracious). Coffee maker in room with real half n half (don't use full cup of water - the cups provided are large and the coffee comes out too weak), use bottled water - if you are a tea drinker bring tea, Keurig system doesn't make a good cup of tea.

Room Tip: Best View Rooms Face Mtns. Adult Pool/Herb Garden
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MuirBeach
Reviewed June 27, 2011

We just returned from 3 nights there, and everything was as I had hoped it would be.

The valet was quick, courteous, and helpful. Check in was a breeze, and the concierge friendly and knowledgeable. Our room was one of the cheaper ones, and it was still plenty big -- around 550-600 sq ft. It has its own patio overlooking the goft course, and was nicely decorated in the hacienda style. The linens were superb! The mattress was great, and the pillows perfect. The towels were so great, I actually had to read the labels. Turned out they were made of bamboo! Imagine that. I'm going to have to go and look for some now. The turn down service each night was thoughtful, and they actually have bags to store the extra pillows, etc. I wish all hotels would do that.

Like others mentioned, the food here is pricey, and not that great, just good, but not great. Service was excellent though. The in-room coffee is probably the best in-room coffee I have ever had. It was one of those Keurig (sp?) machines with the individual pods, and the coffee tasted great. I used it every day as to avoid paying $8 for coffee at the restaurant. The town of Ojai is very quaint with plenty of places to eat, so that's what we ended up doing most of the time.

I found the spa prices a bit high, but not outrageous for what you get. My friend and I tried to book too late, so we couldn't get appointments, but did get to check out the spa and it was quite nice. We don't golf, so I can't comment, but we saw a lot of happy golfers.

The pools are fabulous. We spent most of the time at the family pool, and service was quite attentive. They have pool toys, floaties, etc for everyone to use. The food there is reasonable, so for sandwiches. etc, it's great. While we were there, they showed movies at the pool on Friday and Saturday nights, and they served free popcorn! Very nice touch.

We particularly enjoyed the bike trails. Bikes are rented at $5/each, so it's a steal. My only complaint is that the bikes do not have water holders.

Bottom line - it's a great place, but be prepared to pay. Bring lots of dollar bills for tipping because there is no self-service anything.

Room Tip: Avoid staying near a wedding party.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank WLAMom
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ojai
The Oaks at Ojai
Chantico Inn
Chantico Inn
#5 of 5 in Ojai
Emerald Iguana Inn

Been to Ojai Valley Inn? Share your experiences!