“Fabulous, invigorating oasis”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Ojai
Vancouver, Canada
“Fabulous, invigorating oasis”
Reviewed August 21, 2014

I loved The Oaks at Ojai. A great place to exercise, eat great healthy food, and feel refreshed. Lovely warm and welcoming place for some R&R. I loved all the fitness options and the morning walks with Sheila (the very fit and interesting owner in her 70s). And don't miss the hikes, incredible views.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
La Crescenta, California
Reviewed August 18, 2014

From the moment you walk in, you feel at home and nurtured! We were there with two other mothers and daughters for our first Mother/Daughter Spa weekend and The Oaks had everything we could ask to make this a memorable event. The food was incredible...we both couldn't believe how satisfying the meals were! The villas felt like a home away from home. She enjoyed the jacuzzi tub and I loved the big spa shower! Not to mention how cozy the fireplace in the living room was and the beds! Can't wait to go back! I would definitely put this spa on your bucket list! I saved the best for last...the VitaD facial. Most amazing facial I have ever had...and I have had a few!!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Clinton, New York
Reviewed May 27, 2014

It sounds cliche to say: I felt at home the second I walked in, but I did. The Oaks is lovely inside and out. Not only is the Oaks a beautiful place-it's setting of Ojai couldn't be more beautiful. The Oaks offers early morning hikes with guides. At first I thought I couldn't get up early, not eat or have coffee and go for a hike (there are varying distances offered). But I went anyways. Now I cannot imagine a better way to start your day, than to hike/walk in this beautiful setting with women who I found to be interesting and fun. I did take a cardio class and yoga class which were both great. I love the exercise space too. I also used the free weights and machines. I am a very healthy eater but the Oaks taught me even healthier ways to eat through their meals. I loved the food and felt satisfied after every meal. I did not go to the Oaks to lose weight, but ended up losing a couple of pounds because of all the activity and healthy food. I found everyone who worked there to be friendly and helpful as well. Some other reviews said everyone is 70 or over, not true. When I was there the range was probably 30's and up. (I am in my early 50's.) I love being around women of all ages. There were renovations being done in some of the cottages. I also love how different artists's works are featured in the lobby hallway.

Room Tip: Rooms/cottages are quieter on the back side.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Lisa B
San Diego, California
Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

I really enjoyed this place. I went for a 4 day weekend and participated in the special meditation instruction. The instructors are excellent, the staff accommodating, the food was healthy and delicious.
I had a simple room in the main building and it was clean and adequate. I did wish I had a bathtub.
The rest of the facilities are very nice. There is a small area of gym equipment, a wonderful studio for yoga and other exercise, and lovely grounds and pool area.

Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank rebekky
San Diego, CA
Reviewed February 5, 2014

I love the relaxed but healthy vibe here and its definitely the best value in spa vacations. The staff are incredible and the size of the facility and class offerings provide the best in relaxation and heatlhy living options. The atmosphere is cozy, relaxed and focued on helping people live healthy, active lives - good food, hiking, yoga etc. - and a really cute town to explore out the front door. The beds/rooms are super comfortable as well. I went with two girl friends and we found it the perfect place to relax. Plus we had a friend cancel at the very last minute and they refunded her stay - no major hotel chain would do that and it was so appreciated.

Room Tip: Detached cottages off the street are very quiet
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank couttsk
Palm Desert, California
Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

This was my 2nd visit to The Oaks and certainly not my last. I booked only 2 days in advance and was lucky to be fit in even during a busy week of Yoga & Pilates. I loved the fact that I knew almost all of the staff members and dance instructors, as so many stay there for years and understandably. I had a super quiet cozy room upstairs in the main building making it easy access to the 24 hour tea, coffee and fruit selections.
Once again they worked with me on my special diet needs and my food was wonderful. Every few hours there's snacks to eat such as puréed soup known as broth, mixed veggie plate with homemade low cal dips, fruit smoothies and air popped popcorn for late night. You'll be eating very healthy here without added sugar or salt. But trust me, it's not bland food, and you'll have many options if you don't like the sounds of something.

The multiple classes offered daily are terrific. Though they're not hard core super sweat work-outs, except for lovely dancer Elizabeth's, you can take the hard morning hikes, brisk walks and /or get a local gym pass for the day. There's also pool classes if you like the water and a small area with gym equipment. I took daily power walks along the bike path located nearby.
The town of Ojai is a sweet quaint get-a-way filled with beautiful art galleries, boutiques, book stores, a museum, a wonderful health food store and a cute old movie theatre. There's plenty of extra things to do should you choose to, such as a wine and olive oil tour, bike rides, private tours etc.
Then there's the spa treatments. This trip it wasn't on my budget but I heard plenty of oohs and Ahhhhhs from the other guests about the incredible facials, massages and pedi-mani's they received. If you book a 5-7 night package you get some nice discount coupons toward your treatments.

If you're traveling solo, have no fear! Within moments you will be meeting friendly people with similar desires for their stay and you might just make a few new life -long friends.

The rooms have all had updates and are equipped with all you need and more. Beautiful tiled bathrooms with large counter space. Nice showers and bathtubs and a laundry line. My room had a cozy warm down comforter, a manual wall heater, and plenty of closet space.

The staff is superior. Everybody is courteous, friendly and helpful. They work hard to keep the place clean and well stocked.
****Make sure to attend Friday nights Bingo led by Sherry the fun staff member who has been doing it for years. There's plenty of great prizes and a grand prize if you get lucky. I've won both trips !
And if you're there on Sunday, visit the Farmers Market held a block away. There you will find all the incredible locally grown organic produce, sublime flowers, handmade soaps and lotions, beautiful nuts and dried fruits and organic cakes, cookies and chocolates you can bring home for gifts!

If you notice a petite beautiful older woman talking with guests, teaching stretch classes and/or leading a morning walk, that's the amazing owner Sheila. Introduce yourself and you'll see why The Oaks is the warm & wonderful place that it is.

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Wiseowl2478
Reviewed January 19, 2014

I would not recommend the Oaks if you do not feel like death is imminent. Or if you are expecting expansive grounds (perhaps with oaks). This is a place that does not appear to have been renovated recently, I felt like I was in a retirement home for much of my stay. The people are very friendly and the staff is very nice, but the athletic trainers (many of whom are older and overweight) and their classes left much to be desired. It felt as though time stood still here at the Oaks and it was the 70s, except that people were much fatter.

Quotes from my stay:

"I feel like I am in Sunshine Village."
"The Aqua-Tone class is both the funniest and saddest thing I have ever seen."
"Is that a grey hair floating in the hot tub?!"

The internet largely did not work, the clientele was 65+, the food was hardly edible.

The Oaks seems as though it has helped many people through the years, but it needs serious work before it can start to appeal to a younger crowd (or any crowd other than old lady).

My suggestions? Hire new trainers, renovate the dining/pool area, get a new chef, start offering spinning and other fun, sweat-inducing classes.

Room Tip: Some rooms have been recently renovated-- ask for those.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank Haley K
OaksSpa, Guest Relations Manager at The Oaks at Ojai, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Hello, Haley K and thanks for taking time to write about your experience at The Oaks. We're all sorry to read that we didn't meet all of your expectations. There are many types of spa experiences, and should you be looking for another, I might recommend The Destination Spa Group as a place to compare offerings and find a better fit for your next healthy getaway.