The Oaks at Ojai
$108
The Capri(Ojai)
$110
Travelocity
Casa Ojai Inn(Ojai)(Great Value!)
$111
Travelocity
Oakridge Inn(Oak View)(Great Value!)
$96
$89
$61
$110
$94
  • Breakfast included
Best Western Plus Inn Of Ventura(Ventura)(Great Value!)
$119
$84
$81
Hotels.com
Crystal Lodge Motel(Ventura)(Great Value!)
$74
All reviewsexercise classesweight lossmain buildinghealthy foodwater aerobicscardio classother guestssummer camp for adultstai chispa servicesmid morning snackcooking demonstrationlife stylescalp massageexercise roombike ridesspa food
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 19, 2014

I would not recommend the Oaks if you do not feel like death is imminent. Or if you are expecting expansive grounds (perhaps with oaks). This is a place that does not appear to have been renovated recently, I felt like I was in a retirement home for much of my stay. The people are very friendly and the staff is very nice, but the athletic trainers (many of whom are older and overweight) and their classes left much to be desired. It felt as though time stood still here at the Oaks and it was the 70s, except that people were much fatter.

Quotes from my stay:

"I feel like I am in Sunshine Village."
"The Aqua-Tone class is both the funniest and saddest thing I have ever seen."
"Is that a grey hair floating in the hot tub?!"

The internet largely did not work, the clientele was 65+, the food was hardly edible.

The Oaks seems as though it has helped many people through the years, but it needs serious work before it can start to appeal to a younger crowd (or any crowd other than old lady).

My suggestions? Hire new trainers, renovate the dining/pool area, get a new chef, start offering spinning and other fun, sweat-inducing classes.

Room Tip: Some rooms have been recently renovated-- ask for those.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
6  Thank Haley K
OaksSpa, Guest Relations Manager at The Oaks at Ojai, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2014

Hello, Haley K and thanks for taking time to write about your experience at The Oaks. We're all sorry to read that we didn't meet all of your expectations. There are many types of spa experiences, and should you be looking for another, I might recommend The Destination Spa Group as a place to compare offerings and find a better fit for your next healthy getaway.

Reviewed January 9, 2014

I arrived(with teen) for the mother daughter weekend. The reservation clerk, Margarita, was so professional and sweet. My girl started complaining incessantly--robbing me of the tranquility I was in search of. I decided to send her home after being there for 2 hours. I stayed and had a blast! Never before have I been treated with such dignity and integrity. The manager gave me all the money back for my daughters already reserved and paid stay--even though it was a busy weekend and could not be re-booked. She later found me in the lounge to inform me that she upgraded my room. At that point, I was too embarrassed(and eternally grateful) to say anything or make eye contact with the front desk girl and manager. These 2 gals have grown wings in my book.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank Lisa A
Reviewed January 8, 2014

My daughter and I just spent 6 nights at the Oaks during one of their Mother-daughter weeks. We just loved it - very informal (you can wear sweat pants to dinner!), well organized, great and varied fitness classes, delicious food, lovely staff and guests, and very good spa treatments. And the price is definitely right. It is not a fancy place, but we didn't need that. Highly recommended. We will definitely go back!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Robin G
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Friendly, helpful staff (and guests), beautiful, small town in chaparral mountains. Opportunity is the key word for this wellness spa. The spa is set up in way that gives you choices in workouts, spa services and healthy food (5 times a day - 3 meals, 2 snacks and an extra fruit smoothie) to eat around 1200 calories a day - you can choose to eat more, have seconds, ask for alternatives (I am a vegetarian so I met with the consultant and had all my meals for the week customized for my preferences). It also provides multiple classes in cardio (from aqua aerobics to Zumba), strength (yoga for strength, muscle conditioning) and flexibility (tai chi, yoga). The classes were great - Polly's (Paulina) belly dancing and beating on a stability ball with a stick (new one for me never heard of this but got rid of a lot of anger and frustration on that poor ball) was fabulous. The great part, no judgment - all levels were present from young (26) to old (my guess 80's), mostly 90% women! dressed casually (no Miami designer labels here). Morning hikes (two levels and time lengths) are available each morning before breakfast. They also had optional talks and discussion groups led by senior (years of experience not age) staff member to help you set your own goals. Now for the good part - the spa on site, downstairs in the main building. I'm a little bit of a spa addict - they had everything from pumpkin body scrubs, facials, mani/pedis to multiple types of massages (like any good spa - you choose the intensity) - I indulged in two - one with Matt and on a different day one with Claudia. Matt was fabulous - he worked out all my soreness from exercising and found every tight area! Claudia was a dream - when she got done I was in the most relaxed, blissful state! When you check in they give you the schedule for the week and you decide what you want to do or not (you can sit by the pool, read and relax). If you get Maria at the front desk, she is a blessing- sweet and will help you with all your questions. They were just finishing the renovations of the cottages when I was there, I lucked out and a got beautiful Mediterranean styled cottage with beautiful tiled shower and my own private courtyard. Everything was clean (I'm a clean freak) and you were encouraged to go green. The dressing area and bathroom had natural lighting from the windows made of opaque glass. This is a beautiful peace to recharge, relax and restart (or start) your healthy lifestyle. My reservations for next year are already made.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank southerncmt
Reviewed November 19, 2013

A small, clean and friendly spa right in the center of Ojai offering a whole menu of spa services and massages, a variety of exercise and fitness classes, and a lean 1,200 calorie per day meal plan. I spent 3 nights here with a friend recently and had a good time although there are definitely pros and cons to a place like this.

The pros- friendly staff, fairly reasonably priced, the intimate setting makes it easy to meet people, excellent spa treatments, jacuzzi, sauna, pool as well as close proximity to Ojai (for shopping and more), beautiful area for short hikes, staff will work with dietary restrictions and meals are geared towards portion control awareness with an emphasis on fresh vegetables and lean cooking.

The cons- some rooms and areas definitely could use updating, the classes are variable depending on the instructor and one's fitness level, right in the middle of Ojai ( so easy to go shopping and more), and although the meals are mostly reasonable, they are geared towards being calorie conscious in preparation and everything is portioned out, although one can request seconds.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends