“Expensive but worth it.”
Review of The Oaks at Ojai

The Oaks at Ojai
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Ojai
Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

Although the nightly rates were high in my opinion, I had to consider what the cost included. For the weeknight rate, in a small room, the $200 a night included three healthy meals, several healthy snacks, a plethora of exercise classes (including some in the pool), exercise equipment outside of the group exercise room, hot tub--sauna--and steam room facilities, lectures, movies, guided hikes & walks, and probably something else I'm forgetting. It was a totally all inclusive experience.

Spa services cost extra. We had the Sea C Facial. The aesthetician, Jan Cohen, was beyond compare. This was absolutely the best facial I've ever had. Jan was a true master at her craft, pleasant but not gabby. I went into the facial room with a set amount in mind to tip. Jan was so exceptional, that I raised that amount not once, but twice. By the time she was done I had decided to give her nearly double my original amount. The facial itself cost $135 for 75 minutes, so you better believe I thought she was gave an extraordinary facial, to tack a big tip on top of that.

One of the lectures we enjoyed the most was by the make up representative, Linda W. She gave a fascinating and practical demonstration one afternoon, and we eagerly booked appointments to see her in the salon the next day. She was the nicest person, and showed us how to easily make our skin and eyes look so good, without alot of fuss. Who knew beauty could be so accessible?

The staff in the dining room attends your every need, and most promptly. The food is surprisingly tasty for being so healthy! I think the diet is set for 1,000 calories a day.

All of the exercise instructors are fun and fabulous. We had a good time in every class we attended.

If you go during your birthday month, you get half off the second night. That's nothing to sneeze at.

The lovely little town of Ojai is a California gem, but I won't expand on that here. The guests we spoke to were from California, Seattle, Vancouver, Philadelphia, and Washington DC. I'm sure there were other states represented as well.

This is a great spot for a completely relaxing getaway. If you look at the cost of similar spas, you'll see the Oaks really gives you bang for your buck.

• Stayed: March 2013
6  Thank AmeliaAirheart

Reviewed February 23, 2013

The Oaks is good for me on so many different levels: first, I get to talk to grownups who are intelligent. Many of the women I have met there are teachers or former teachers, and I find their company enlightening and funny. This trip we met a lot of great women and they almost all had interesting and some very comical things to say. One woman made me laugh so hard at dinner it made my abs hurt. My abs had suffered through abs lab class the day before, so they were sore to begin with. It felt like laughing and moaning at the same time. Another woman was making us all hoot at dinner and tears were coming out of our eyes because we laughed so hard. Second, the Oaks is good for me because I get active and see that I do not have to be such a slug at home. The food is also inspiring, because it tastes good and is prepared well, so it makes eating healthy more probable. I have two of The Oaks cookbooks at home so I got them out today when I got home and started preparing my own spa food.

I love the Oaks too because they do what they can to make it affordable. Almost everyone there realizes what a great deal it is to go there and get a nice room, all the fitness classes you could want to take, plus three meals a day for a very reasonable fee. Notice I say almost everyone. There are whiners. I have learned to stay far away from them. Yes, people who go to the Oaks and whine are likely to find themselves eating alone and not sharing in the general conviviality of the place.

Room Tip: The quietest rooms are in the upstairs or in the cottages in the back of the property. They cost mo...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Teach42morrow
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I'm a 40-something single mom who finds The Oaks to be the perfect place to hit my "reset" button every now and then. I tend to go once a year for a long weekend, and find it the perfect retreat and physical and emotional recharge. It's wonderful for quiet "me" time or for camaraderie with a girlfriend. If you go alone, you may soon find yourself in the company of new friends. I love the flavorful yet healthy meals, the range of fitness classes and the great "zen" feel of The Oaks and surrounding Ojai. I usually hit the movie theatre across the street during my visits, the fabulous Sunday farmers market, and sometimes sneak across the side street for a deliciously authentic burrito (shhh... It's our little secret)! I have never, ever been disappointed in the six-plus years that I've stayed at The Oaks. I always drive away feeling peaceful, inspired, enriched, and ready to take on the challenges of my busy life.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank LovesLongWknds
Reviewed January 29, 2013

The Oaks is perfect if you want to kick start or step up your workout program, if you want someone else to cook for you and it will be healthy and delicious, if you want to go by yourself and feel totally ok about that, if you want to try some options in your health/workout/nutrition program that you normally don't, if you need to get away from whomever and/or whatever for a little while. A great place with wonderful people. You make it what you want and what you need.

Room Tip: If you are alone, try to get a single standard. It is worth having your own space.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Geni T
Reviewed January 27, 2013

My mom convinced me to tag along with her to the Oaks a few years ago (she has been going for close to 20 years) ... I was a little hesitant because I didn't think that "working out" for a week was my idea of a vacation. Well, let's just say I have been back three more times in the last 2 years (with my mom), and we are going again next week, for best friends' week. It is now my favourite place to go on vacation. Going to the Oaks is all about taking care of YOU ... your body, your mind, your spirit. From the inside out, I feel rejuvenated, refreshed, at peace, in harmony, and inspired to live a more balanced life. For those of you that criticize trivial things like the material the curtains are made of, or the exercise room that needs a lift, well you are sadly missing the whole point of it all. You need to go to one of those haughty-taughty places where you dress to the nines and wear jewellery to dinner. No thanks. The Oaks is all about being inspired to be the best that you can be - and live a healthy, meaningful life.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Furrypaw
Reviewed November 25, 2012

I had my very first experience with The Oaks November 9th-16th. It was the best week I've spent in quite some time.
Upon entering The Oaks, everything was easy, parking ample, friendly and helpful front desk staff and a beautiful home-like living room setting. A fire was burning in the fireplace and the vibe was peaceful and warm.
My goal was to detox and rejuvenate. I found out quickly that I made the perfect choice for my goals.
A health advisor is available every morning to discuss your needs, especially if you have a special diet such as vegetarianism or vegan. The Oaks is tremendously accommodating with their menu.
Every day you have many choices as to how you want to exercise. Everything from early morning hikes, brisk walks, pool aerobics, yoga, Zumba, exotic dance, step, and Hoola hoops. These classes are great 45 minute workouts. Between classes you recieve wonderful snacks in the main room. Delicious healthy hearty veggie soup known as "broth", freshly cut veggies on a huge platter with low-cal dip and a large basket of fresh fruits available 24 hours a day. Also present 24 hours a day are several flavors of coffee, at least 12 flavor tea bags and several iced teas, as well as lemon water.
The meals are simply fantastic. Health oriented, low sodium, no sugar, agave sweetened gourmet food freshly cooked and wonderfully delicious. Large portions with shockingly low caloric content. Several spices and salsa available for more flavor. Wonderful deserts accompany the meals. Breakfast is served in the community room with plenty of extra choices should you not desire the planned meal. Extra include hard boiled eggs, Special K cereal, extra fruit plate, all on top of the regular breakfast of Oatmeal w/ raisins, low cal famous muffins and fruit. Lunch can be eaten inside or out by the pool and consists of various yummy soups, salads, quiches and such. Lunch and dinner always have options you can sign up for in the morning and afternoon. Options are typically a large health salad with either tuna or chicken breast. One never feels hungry or slighted at The Oaks.
The class instructors are some of the best I have taken from. And I'm a diehard exerciser. One in particular is also a staff member, Elizabeth. Not only is she a gifted dancer, she's a fantastic teacher as well. She explains everything all with a wonderful and funny sense of humor. She's been with the Oaks for decades, understandably. They are extremely lucky to have her, and so are we.
During downtime, should you find any, The Oaks is located in the very heart of downtown Ojai. The small quaint Art Museum is a must see and right next door. The town is filled with great unique shops and book stores and a handful of thrift shops, a fabulous Movie Theatre and a few terrific health food stores. Every Sunday they have a delightful farmers market in a parking lot nearby. One can find locally grown produce as well as body scrubs, handmade soaps and delicious pistachio nuts to name just a few.
In the evenings you are welcome to attend presentations given by speakers on topics such as make up tips, cooking lessons, and self help discussions. On Friday nights a darling kitchen staff member hosts a super fun Bingo night with fantastic prizes. A 'must attend'.
And last but not least, the large menu of spa/body treatments. the Oaks offers some of the best massages and facials, as well as a full Salon for hair and make up. I had The Algo mask, wonderfully relaxing, and a lavander pedicure..purely decadent wonderful relaxing foot treatment.
By the way, my room was perfection. I chose to have one of the smaller single rooms which had been recently remodeled, along with most of the other rooms, and done very charmingly. Large stall shower with amazing pressure, thick absorbent towels, plenty of counter space in the Spanish tiled bathroom and warm high quality sheets and down coverlet. Ample hangers and nice view of the pool and backyard. Very quiet.
I arrived alone but by the end of the week I had met so many lovely kind and friendly people and never felt ignored or lonely. If you join in, you will surely feel the 'girls camp' vibe and you'll be anxious to plan your next stay! To my delight I was lucky to have met and spoken to the original owner Sheila who still gives talks and attends the walks weekly. What an inspiring friendly and darling petite lady she is. I am forever grateful for the chance to be at The Oaks and to experience it the way she originated it, and more! It surpassed my expectations in a grand way and I will surely be back soon! As a drove away I felt that rejuvenation I had badly needed and desired and left with a positive happy feeling all around. Worth every cent!

Room Tip: All rooms come with blow dryers and shampoo/ conditioners and soap.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
10  Thank Wiseowl2478
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Returning for perhaps the 10th time, we had a wonderful, restorative week at the Oaks. Many long time employees make it feel like coming home. The guests ranged in age from early twenties to seventies, and all were friendly and encouraging. We will be back. Especially love Elizabeth's high energy cardio dance activities, and Lyn's yoga and Qi Chong.

Room Tip: Love the cottages when visiting with another guest.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Alana B
OaksSpa, Guest Relations Manager at The Oaks at Ojai, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2012

The Oaks works hard to keep rates low, and we are especially glad to read you think it's a good value! Thanks for taking time to tell the world! Send me a note before your next visit and we'll try to have your favorite classes scheduled! elizabeth@oaksspa.com