“Pleasantly Surprised” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
San Jose, California
“Pleasantly Surprised”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2012

I'm a fairly picky traveller and was not so pleased when my Mother informed me she had us booked at Casa Ojai for a family gathering (we usually stay at the Blue Iguana). After checking out the website, I thought, well it looks okay, but kind of like a motel rather than an Inn.

Upon arrival, sure enough, it looked like an old motel. One thing I did notice though was that the grounds and exterior were very well cared for, even though dated. We had to park in the back, which was okay, but it does feel secluded when parking by yourself at night, even though well lit.

We entered our room and I was satisfied that I was going to be fine with the accommodations. The furniture/decor was pleasant, and much more current than the exterior, though no flat screen tvs (which is fine for me, but don't expect them). The bathroom was average and had a nice granite countertop, update tile in the shower and upgraded fixtures/shower curtain rod (might sound funny, but that's one of those touches I personally notice). Towels were above average and plentiful.

My one bathroom complaint was the lotion they provide in the dispenser. It took me awhile to figure out where the medicine-y smell was coming from, then my mom used the lotion and we figured it out. Really a horrible smell to the four of us in the room, and unfortunately whenever you used the sink area you were close enough to smell it from the dispenser. Mostly I'm adding this so maybe management will change it :) Also, there is a strong chemical odor (bleach) that I think comes from the toilet treatment (?). Didn't mind this so much, because at least you know things are clean, but I would bring an air freshener next time. On that note, the room and common areas were very clean.

I had brought my own pillows, again, I'm picky, but they were not needed. Pillows were plentiful and very good quality. The bed was very comfortable and linens were great.

Wi-Fi is free on property and a continental breakfast is provided. They served hard boiled eggs, oatmeal (packaged), bagels, good coffee, teas, and I think juice and other breads. Front desk staff we found to be very friendly.

The only problem we had was our key card kept deactivating, so whenever we got back to our room they would have to reset it. On a cold night, after a very long day, it was a bit annoying, but wouldn't be a deal breaker for me (my sister could be another story).

All in all, I would defiantly stay here again. I think the only reason I would choose the Blue Iguana over the Casa Ojai is if I was planning on spending a lot of time poolside, as the Iguana's pool is a very nice retreat. The Inn's is pretty small/basic, motel like, though clean.

I'd like to note a nice walk/hike we took. It was on a fire road called Shelf Rd, just a couple minutes drive from the Inn. It was a beautiful scenic view, and perfect for running, walking your dog, or just a stroll, though it is a uphill some and not paved. To get there, just turn left out of the Inn parking lot, go to the next main road, Gridley Road and turn left. Drive approx. 1 mile and you will see the parking turnout on the left, with a gate leading up to the road. On a map it's the intersection of Gridley and Valley View. Just thought I would throw this in, as we really enjoyed the walk :)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2012

We were both surprised upon arriving at Casa Ojai Inn as the pictures on line seem to have curb appeal but, as we drove up we were Very Disappointed with the area of the Inn and the outside looks. The area is some what run down and the Inn appears to be an old Motel 6 and not quite walking distance to down town. Although upon check-in the Clerk was Extremely Pleasent and eager to make sure we were very comfortable. Upon entering our room we were again Very Surprised as the room Exceeded our expectations and the bed Extremely comfortable. The jacuzzi had ALOT of dirt in it and again not so pleasent looking. Again, the staff was the BEST, the room OUTSTANDING but the outside area and looks left us feeling NOT so secure...

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
San Jose, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

Casa Ojai is a nice and basic place to spend the night or two. It is located further down the road from the main shopping arcade so you will need to drive. The plus side to this is that it is very quiet. Parking can be very tight if the hotel is full. It is a good value and nice place if you don't plan on spending much time in your room.

Room Tip: Upper rooms are quieter
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank bromeley
Boise, ID
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2012

We recently stayed at the Casa Ojai Inn for a family reunion and took 11 rooms. Each room was spacious, immaculate and the beds were very comfortable. My husband and I had the large suite and it was terrific. We used the pool cabana area for our events including photographs, music and refreshments and some of the other guests even joined in the festivities. The staff was extremely helpful in setting up the reunion reservations. Great restaurants are within walking distance as are shops, library, art galleries, etc. The weather was fabulous. The only complaint I would have is the lack of a meeting room and the continental breakfast. There is no designated room for breakfast, only the lobby and one outside table, and the selection was sparce. Other than that we all enjoyed our stay and would definitely stay again at the Casa Ojai Inn if in the area.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Burbank, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2012

My trash was not emptied when i arrived...the bed was horrendous...too soft..the lighting in the room is terrible...basically the room should have been at least 50 dollars less than what it was...breakfast was less than continental...bagels and coffee...too expensive for what is offered

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2012

My family stayed over a weekend and found the room to be clean and comfortable. Overall the hotel was quiet and we enjoyed the complimentary breakfast.

Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Costa Mesa, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2012

This was the 4th time we stayed at Casa Ojai, I was a little taken aback by the front desk reception we received. Not a smile in the house. We arrived about 1 :30 and were told they could not get us into our room till 2 pm or 2:30- some late cleaning problem- we noticed the cleaning gals cart at the opposite end of the building and for the remainder of the time we had to wait for the room we eventually were given- it never moved nor did any one go into the assigned room in the interim- the receptionist just did not want us to be able to check in early- on a very very slow saturday-
also, the tile bathroom really needs to be cleaned- looks like it is black and a little moldy-
On sunday- we had plans to meet some people atnd we asked for a little later check out- at 2:00 pm from the 12:00 time- the same girl said we could have an hour till 1:00 pm but if we stayed till 2:00 PM we would be charged an additional 1/2 day rate-
I have staryed at many of a Westin and Sheraton and 2 hours later does not deem a 1/2 day charge- disappointing to say the least-
Not sure if we will stay again- hopefully some one will read this and change their hospitality philosophy-

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank weekender121
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ojai
The Capri
Oakridge Inn
Oakridge Inn
#1 of 1 in Oak View
Ojai Valley Inn & Spa

Been to Casa Ojai Inn? Share your experiences!