“We loved it!”
Review of Blue Iguana Inn

Blue Iguana Inn
Ranked #2 of 9 Ojai B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 26, 2010

I am amazed by the reports of rudeness...I always suspect that when people say they are treated rudely it's because they make unusual demands or demonstrate inconsideration for others. All I know is that we had no such issues. In fact, there were several occasions in which they went out of their way to accommodate our requests, very graciously. The place itself is sweet and pleasant to the eye. The rooms are all very clean and decorated nicely. The grounds are blooming with flowers and greens; the pool sparkling clean with plentiful towels; the hot tub always hot and welcoming (altho it would be nice to be able to turn the tub light off). We enjoyed the entire place. The first night we had #12, close to the street and, from the outside, very worrisome, but once inside we never heard traffic. We moved to a suite the second night, again next to the street and heard absolutely nothing once inside. Beds are very comfortable with nice linens. Robes and nice bathroom amenities are provided. Continental breakfast is just that and you'd better get there early on a weekend morning. I would not hesitate to stay at the Blue Iguana again.

Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed July 9, 2010

We've stayed here before many times and enjoyed it, but showed up July 4 weekend after having driven 2.5 hours through traffic and were rudely told that they had no reservation. When I located the reservation confirmation on my computer, it was for 2011. Obviously a computer error. They insisted that it was my fault and the customer service was absolutely terrible. Barely an apology. I hate to leave them a bad review, but we'll be looking for another Ojai getaway spot.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank angelkitty88
Iguanapwr1, Manager at Blue Iguana Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2010

These guests booked their own reservations on-line through our on-line system. They mistakenly entered the wrong year. We had no way of knowing this as we had sent them 2 seperate emails confirming their dates as requested. When they arrived on the sold out 4th of July weekend (2010), we did not have any rooms available. They presented their confirmation which clearly specified July 4, 2011. We did our best to be helpful by contacting other local hotels, all of which were also sold out, except for one quite expensive one. They were very upset. We are sorry that we were not able to accommodate them and strongly encourage every guest to verify the confirmations they receive.

Reviewed June 14, 2010

The site is quite nice, though too far to walk to town. The room was very nice, the grounds charming and well kept.

We were treated politely when we arrived in the afternoon, and the two women at the desk were helpful in suggesting where to eat-- Azu, which was fabulous with wonderful service.

The one star for service is because of the way we were treated by another woman the following day, while attempting to get our complimentary breakfast in the tiny lobby. There was no food left, save for a few grapes on a platter, and some hard boiled eggs. Not a crumb of bread or anything else.

The woman, a different person than the afternoon we'd arrived, was on the phone taking a reservation and paid little attention to us. When she finally interrupted her call to speak with us, the only remark she made was, "we're cleaned out, nothing left".

Not a "so sorry" or anything courteous. To make matters worse, she inquired whether we had been "drop ins" the night before, rather than clients with a long standing reservation. Having made the reservation 2 and a half months in advance, we were not drop-ins and it was an hour before the time when 'breakfast 'would have been officially over.

Rather than offer to get us something to eat, or say she was sorry, she just went back to her phone call.

So, Note to the Management at the desk--
The client in front of you is more important than the one on the phone. Had I been in her place (and I have no hospitality training at all), it might have been nice to have put the folks on the phone on hold, and offered the clients who have already paid for their stay the courtesy of saying "so sorry, we didn't expect so many guests last night," etc. and then given the family 10 dollars to buy themselves at least a cup of coffee and a pastry in town. That would have been appreciated. This was just plain rude. It spoiled an otherwise pretty nice hotel stay.

Not being sure who would man (or woman) the desk the next time, I would try another hotel in town. Out of town only works when good service makes up for the inconvenience of having to use your car to visit downtown. Too bad.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank ramrom32124
Reviewed April 29, 2010

This is a really nice place to stay while visiting Ojai. We had a King Suite, which was quite spacious, had a full kitchen, separate bedroom, and private small patio. Though we didn't use it, there was also a double and a single futon couch that would be handy for families or other groups traveling together. While it wasn't "luxurious," it was very charming, super clean, and a nice space to be in. There was some interesting art on the walls which is in keeping with the overall Ojai ambiance. While some of the rooms are in one building, our suite only shared a wall with one other suite which was a bonus. Most of the accommodations are set back from the busy road, but there are a couple which are right next to it. (I think it's #1 and #2, but make sure and ask about this when booking if road noise is a concern.)

The grounds were nice though we didn't spend much time outside our room. We didn't use the pool since it isn't heated. We also didn't have the included continental breakfast, since we wanted to eat at the Ojai Cafe Emporium, which I recommend for breakfast.

For families traveling with small children as we were, it was a great choice. There was plenty of space in the suite for my son to play, and the kitchen was nice and suitable for actual cooking if you wanted to. Especially if you happen to be in town for the farmer's market! I'm not sure I'd feel as comfortable with a young child in one of the standard Inn rooms though. But the suites seem private enough.

The main drawback would be the location which was a short drive into town. I would have preferred to have been closer to town. Also, the staff seemed indifferent: not bad, not good, just not very interested in our experience. This isn't a deal breaker for me though and I would happily return in the future.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank cylander
Reviewed April 11, 2010

We stayed at the Blue Iguana Inn for a total of 2 nights for a friends wedding. The wedding party and guests rented out 99% of the hotel for these 2 nights. You would think the staff and management would be appreciative of the business. They weren't. They were short and rude from the moment of check in to check out and only became worse as the stay went on. They never came and cleaned our rooms during our entire stay. They argued with us about drinking on the premises. There are no rules about not drinking. They actually made one up at that moment. They sat in their office with the door open at night listening to our conversations as we partied and tried to have a good time. That is until they would come over and threaten to call the police on us for being too loud. (We werent too loud) The majority of the guests work in the hospitality / service industry in one form or another. We were very respectful of the property. However, since every person staying at the Inn that weekend was part of the wedding group and partying, their excuse of "other guests" didn't work. They ended up calling the police who showed up and agreed that nothing wrong was taking place. They also "illegally:" unlocked our door and allowed other guests who were not restigered to my room inside my room without my presence or knowledge. They called the venue we used for the wedding to tell them we were a rough and roudy crowd and tried to ruin my friends wedding this way. These people are wacked out and should not be in or around any business related to hospitality or service of any kind. If you are planning a wedding or vacation in Ojai, CA do yourself a huge favor and stay away from the Blue Iguana Inn. It will only turn out badly.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jaerco
Iguanapwr1, Owner/Manager at Blue Iguana Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2010

This and other comments from the same wedding party are unfortunate. This group of young people were far better suited for a party trip to Las Vegas than to a getaway at an initimate boutique inn. Unfortunately, their group had only booked a portion of our property, and were oblivious to our other guests and their rights to a decent nights sleep. We have an obligation to all of our guests, and therefor cannot allow one roudy group to ruin everyone elses experience.

Reviewed April 2, 2010

I drove in at the spur of the moment to stay for one night as a personal retreat. I needed to get away and this was the perfect place to go. I stayed 2 extra nights. I rarely left the property. The gardens were perfect for reading. There is a great walking path across the street and the art community of Ojai is right near by. I loved everything about it and every room had its own sitting area outside its door. There was obviously a lot of thought put into making both the rooms and the property special. And, be sure to look for the blue mosaic iguanas around the gardens and pool.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed March 19, 2010

My wife and I were only passing through but the short time we spent there was relaxing and memorable. Clean, comfortable, unique, and friendly. We'll go again.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple