“Absolutely Beautiful!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 9 Ojai B&B and Inns
Moorpark, CA
“Absolutely Beautiful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2009

I have now stayed at the Blue Iguana Inn twice and will never stay at another hotel in Ojai. My first visit was in March 2009 as a get away for myself. The room was absolutely beautiful with mission style furniture - which is my favorite. The second time was for my husband's 50th birthday. The grounds are so relaxing and well kept. We sat by the pool one day and talked with other visitors that were as delighted as us. Our room was very large - large enough to fit two massage tables in at once - and private. We had our own little private patio with a table and umbrella where we ate breakfast each morning. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I highly recommend this hotel for couples and families alike.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Hebrew first
Carefree, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2009

We stayed 2 nights for a weekend getaway. It was VERY nice. Big suite with a bedroom and huge kitchen. The grounds were lush and green. It was a nice place to sit outside and eat breakfast and have coffee. We will be back, the Ojai area is so beautiful.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Nagano Prefecture, Japan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2009

I stayed here as a last-minute booking in the middle of a long US business trip. The property is a little way out of the village of Ojai, and is a collection of low-rise, ethnic-style buildings, part motel, part farmstyle cottages. The decor is all by local artists, and so is on the weird side of eclectic and a bit uncoordinated, but with some really interesting stuff dotted around. There's a little pool and a jacuzzi, and very pleasant landscaping. It's pricey, US$230ish per night, for a rural b'n'b.

I was given, in effect, an apartment, with a large living room, a good-sized and well-equipped kitchen, and a separate bedroom with a fairly comfortable bed. Initially impressive, it was a bit overdone, and the only view from the bedroom was a wall. The internet connection worked well, I watched a dvd in the living room, and the bath was big enough to lie in and read a book.

Breakfast was minimal and absolutely not what the price dictated - a few bits and pieces by reception, to grab and take back to the room. I don't know about you, but for me, part of the chill-out experience on a weekend break is to make breakfast the main, the most leisurely, and most chill-axed of the day. Not going to happen here!

But the staff were very helpful, and offered excellent tourist advice to help me make the most of my stay. They handled very politely and efficiently a subsequent query about the bill (somehow they'd split it into two charges, which confused my office manager who was reconciling the credit card statement, and we'd misunderstood the currency calculation).

The village of Ojai is very chi-chi - lots of funky arts stuff, and I'm not sure I felt quite at home there. I did find an excellent beer-tasting bar, and watched a play at the local theatre which was far better than you'd expect of an amateur dramatic production. The star of the scene, though, was the trails and mountains around. I ran, and on a rented mountain bike, rode, some of the trails and they were pure magic!

So this was a good place to base an active weekend, moderately over-priced but not impossibly so - unless you want a view and a great breakfast, in which case you'll be disappointed.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Pasadena, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2009

I just came back from a 2 day stay at the Blue Iguana with my husband, our son, daughter-in-law, and 3 yr old granddaughter. We rented Suite 6 - the two bedroom suite with full kitchen. We found it cozy and very homelike and all of us loved it.
Suite 6 has several advantages and one disadvantage. It is probably the largest suite and is in its own bungalow surrounded on all sides by a wooden fence - thus very private. We could leave the front door open and let our granddaughter wander around at will because she was still behind a tall opaque fence with a closed gate that she couldn't open.
It has its own outdoor dining room (picnic table) right in front where we ate our breakfasts and lunch. Very pleasant!
It is far from the street and so very quiet (though we noticed a house being constructed immediately next door that may be noisy during working hours). The other two bedroom suite is right on the highway and is probably much noisier.
The full kitchen is reasonably appointed with some dishes, wine glasses, cookware and appliances, including refrigerator, microwave, and coffee maker. It also had a little dining table.
The disadvantage is that wherever you look outside the bungalow you only see a tall green wooden fence. This is the price you pay for so much privacy. But with a little kid (or pets) this situation is ideal. I wish my dog were a good car traveler so I could take her along and take advantage of this ideal spot.
I only have a few suggestions for improvement. In Suite 6 there is room for 6 people to stay (king bed, queen bed, and double futon) but there were only 3 bath towels provided (for 5 of us) and only enough towel racks to hang 2 of them. More towels should be provided routinely and there should be hooks or more racks installed in the bathroom to accommodate them.
The rug on the floor in the living room, though soft, comfortable, and clean was dull in color and made the room appear dingy. I wish it were bright and cheerful like the rest of the furnishings of the suite. The other rugs were much cheerier (though not as soft and comfortable).
All in all, we found this to be a delightful place and would certainly recommend it to a friend with the proviso that you should choose a room away from the road. Rooms 1 & 12 are right on the road and I wouldn't choose either of them.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2008

My Partner, myself and my Mother stayed two nights at the Blue Iguana. First off, the grounds and scenery are beautiful. A couple of mishaps soured our stay a bit. We were booked into a one bedroom suite recommended by the hotel staff over the phone. It was clear that we would be charged an extra $20 for an additional person over two - fine. As discussed, we arrived late (about 11:00 pm). Once getting into the room after a long flight from the east coast and a near 2 hour drive from LAX the room was not set up for the third person. There was no additional bedding for the futon or towel set in the bathroom. Since the office closes at 10:00 we ended up splitting the sheets on the bed to make due on the futon. We brought it to the attention of the staff in the morning but was told that we must have overlooked the extra sheets in the closet (believe me we looked high and low there weren't any) I has hoping to be refunded the $20 extra person fee but no luck. The second night the room and futon were made as it should have been the night before. I look forward to another lovely weekend in Ojai and I would consider the Blue Iguana again, but in the future I would make our room needs very clear.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2008

A lovely property down to the smallest detail. We (2 adults, 2 teens) loved the 2BR cottage, pool/hot tub & breakfast (included). Beautifully decorated, clean & comfortable. Close enough to Santa Barbara for a day trip or even dinner. If I lived in CA this would be a favorite weekend destination.

• Liked — Overall atmosphere
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Marcos
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2008

The Blue Iguana Inn is marvelous. This is our 2nd time here and we loved it even more than before. Creative sculptures and artwork complement the meticulously cared-for, colorful gardens -- photo ops galore! (Check out the dragon meandering around the spa and pool.) This time of year the roses were prolific, leading us down a colorful, fragrant pathway to the room.
Decor was charming Southwest style; bed felt like sleeping on a cloud.
Continental breakfast included almond croissants, hard-boiled eggs and mini-cheeses as well as fresh fruit, some grown in the Ojai valley. Fresh OJ too!
Staff was uniformly cheerful and helpful - not a sour face to be seen!
This serene hideaway in Shangri-La was ideal for us.

• Liked — Loved it all, especially the creative artistic touches indoors and out.
  • Disliked — Distance from town - but that wasn't a drawback unless one had to walk.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple