“Lacking Hospitality”
Review of Blue Iguana Inn

Blue Iguana Inn
Ranked #2 of 9 Ojai B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Before booking I read the one- two- and three-starred reviews on Tripadvisor. I convinced myself they were all written by problem lodgers or extremely picky people. I no longer think that.

PROS

Beautiful facilities. The grounds are lovely. The rooms are furnished with artistic elegance.

Our suite was pleasant and roomy. The king-sized bed, in particular, was large and comfortable. Plenty of drawer and closet space.

Another reviewer thought the showerhead was a problem. Not in our suite. My husband thought the shower was one of the best he’d had while traveling.

We experienced no street noise or noise from neighboring lodgers. Our suite (halfway back) was quiet and well-insulated.

CONS

Kitchen--No casserole dish of any kind for the microwave or the oven. One large glass container had to double as the dog’s drinking bowl and a serving dish. No dish draining rack. No sink stopper.

No instructions for working the satellite television. No list of local channels. A very small selection of videos to choose from (one shelf in the office to supply everyone). One extra blanket for the bed. One small sponge. Etc.

A sign in the breakfast room asked that we not take more than our share of the food (whatever that means). A sign in the bathroom reminded us to conserve water. (Trust me, we do.). We were reminded to keep our dog on the leash, to keep our dog off the furniture, to pick up after our dog (we always do),not to lose our keys, observe quiet hour, etc. etc. The admonitions kept coming. We do all these things anyway, and we didn’t appreciate the incessant reminders.

The first night of our stay, a large dog was tied to the railing of the office near the door when my husband tried to enter. The dog lunged and snarled and came close to attacking him. Later, the same thing happened again. My husband reported this problem to the attendant. Her response? Nothing. Not: “I’m so sorry I’ll speak to the owner.” Not: “That’s unacceptable, please accept our apologies.” She said nothing.

The breakfast consisted of a bowl of fruit, dry cereal, a few golf ball sized pastries, and hardboiled eggs.

We won’t be back.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BetsyJ
Iguanapwr1, Manager at Blue Iguana Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

We are sorry this guest did not fully enjoy their stay at the Blue Iguana. We make every effort to provide the best possible product and service, thus our check-in form does list property policies, especially for guests staying with their dogs.
We keep our kitchens stocked with a basic set of pots, pans and cookware, although additional cookware items are gladly provided upon request.
Our complimentary continental breakfast includes a variety of bite site muffins and pastries served along with full sized English muffins and bagels served with butter and cream cheese. We also serve a variety of fresh fruits, yogurts, cereals, hard boiled eggs, orange juice, milk, coffee & tea.

Reviewed November 29, 2013

The room itself was beautiful, fitted with every amenity, from the plumped pillows to the coffee and snacks. Our room was quiet, in the back with a lovely bamboo screen in a carefully landscaped environment. The staff was attentive and very helpful. Amazingly inexpensive, at least for our timing (just before Thanksgiving).

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 25, 2013

My sister, niece and I got a big two bedroom suite, with a large living room, and a small kitchen. Very reasonable! Perfect for a quick trip out of LA. We did the hot tub, then ordered dinner in... and just laughed all night long! Couldn't have been better!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Wanting a peaceful Halloween night getaway, the boyfriend and I stayed here and just LOVED it. I can't wait to come back! Just off the main highway in Ojai, it's a quaint compound of many outbuildings. Our room was right next to the pool and jacuzzi. We enjoyed a lovely evening dip in the jacuzzi and the pool looked immaculate (it was too cold out to try it though).

Everything was just right - comfortable bed, friendly staff, located not far from downtown Ojai and restaurants. The big bathroom was exceptionally nice with a great shower. The room was warm and inviting, with a small porch and fridge stocked with various drinks. Rustic, warm wood furniture in the room gave it a cozy, cabin feel. The breakfast house is a little walk across a nice green courtyard. Parking is very easy, free, and close. Nice artful tiling throughout the grounds adds an eclectic flair - this includes the blue iguana fountain that greets you as you walk to the lobby.

We brought out bikes and found the Ojai Valley Bike Trail right across the street from the hotel. We ended up biking to Ventura Beach and back (34 miles) along this wonderful trail with amazing views. I want to move here!!

All in all, a really good value and quiet, comfortable stay. The only downside I can think of is that we could hear the people in the room next door but not a big deal. I could stay here a week -- I didn't want to leave.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 8, 2013

My good friend and I decided to go Ojai for a couple of days of relaxation and shopping. The hotel surprised us with a wonderful room with spacious room and fireplace. The bathroom was clean and very roomy. The queen sized beds were really comfortable and we both slept well. The room was quiet and we both relaxed and enjoyed the ambience. What a good value! Looking forward to coming back this time with my husband!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 29, 2013

My 2 adult daughters and I stayed at the Blue Iguana while attending the Ojai Yoga Crib.
We had 2 separate rooms on the same floor in the back of the hotel. Our rooms were spacious,
cozy and clean, with mini-kitchens and nice amenities in the bathroom. The staff is over-the-top
helpful. We enjoyed our continental breakfast in their cozy breakfast room nearby before we left
for a full day of asanas.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 27, 2013

The blue iguana is simple and beautiful, very comfortable like someone really thought about every thing you would need in a room. makes you feel like you are at home. I only met 2 members of the staff and they where very welcoming and extremely helpful. i would defiantly go back and defiantly recommend it to any one visiting Ojai.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family