“Nice place, lots of rules.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Blue Iguana Inn

Blue Iguana Inn
Ranked #2 of 9 Ojai B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, California
“Nice place, lots of rules.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

I had a fine stay recently with my wife and our dog....though it wasn't perfect. To be constructive, I will share my concerns. From the minute you check-in there are a lot of rules. The pool closes at 5pm....well before dark. Too bad, nice pool. Quite hours begin at 9:30pm with no exceptions. I am not staying at my grandmothers house. I will watch my noise like a responsible person, but I didn't even venture our on one of our 2 balconies after 9:30pm as I didn't want a knock on the door. Also, our dog could not be left alone at ANY time in our stay or we would be asked to leave. Our dog is 10. Super quite, lays around most of the day. Not destructive. If my dog couldn't behave in a hotel room without me while I took my wife to dinner...then I wouldn't bring my dog. If there was an accident or he mis-behaved that day then that's what my credit card on file is for. Speaking of, they took my credit card for incidentals (normal), but then held an extra $100 on a separate charge just for the dog. Why? Just use the card you've already put on file. Annoying. This place is fine for what it is. We do have options, they should remember that.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Iguanapwr1, Owner at Blue Iguana Inn, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
We are very sorry this guest felt we have too many rules associated with our property. I would like to clarify what may have been some misconceptions as to these policies.
First, our swimming pool and hot area are open from 8am until 10pm daily. Our 9:30 "quiet time" is a suggestion to our guests (especially those who come in groups) to please keep excessive noise to a minimum after that time. We certainly do not monitor guest behavior unless excessive noise or disturbances that are bothersome to other guests are created.
It is true, that our pet policies are fairly strict. Unfortunately, this has become necessary because not everyone takes full responsibility for their pet's behavior and we have, in the past, had damage to our rooms and guest disturbances due to pets that were not properly supervised.
We appreciate all of our guests and strive to create a relaxing and pleasant environment for everyone has stays with us, thus we do have a few simple rules in place to help insure everyone has the best stay possible.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Hebrew first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

We spent two nights at the Blue Iguana and the stay combined a considerable amount of charm with fine service. The setting is magical with winding lanes and a flower laden fountain. We stayed in suite #1 and other reviews regarding noise were accurate. However, the provided white noise machines did a good job of dealing with the traffic noise problem. The shower worked well, towels were thick and ample and the decor of the rooms was original and comfortable. Service was prompt and invisible. We added a jeep trip to our stay and that too was handled with efficiency. The inn is a bit West of the town of Ojai but we enjoyed being outside the town and a delightful bike/walking path laid out on an old railroad right of way provides a nice flat walk to town if desired. The pool is cool, the hot tub hot and plenty of towels are available at each. The continental breakfast is laid out in a lovely setting to the rear of the property. My husband, adult daughter and I enjoyed the opportunity to reconnect in the lovely Ojai valley

Room Tip: When I stay again I will request a room to the rear if available but the setting provides a lovely a...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Medford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

I'm a family travel writer, but stayed at the Blue Iguana Inn in Ojai for a professional conference called Creative Alliance. It was the perfect setting for this retreat-type get together. The grounds are lush and beautiful, and of course peaceful. The continental breakfast each morning is above par, and the lodging is cozy yet elegant. We stayed in one of the bungalows with full kitchen and private patio. There's also a pool and hot tub (though small) and the inn is in easy distance to downtown Ojai. Could you bring kids here? Yes, and they'd enjoy the room to play on the grounds, but a quiet atmosphere is respected.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Culver City, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

It doesn't get any better! Beautiful grounds, relaxing rooms with great art, comfortable clean bedding, wonderful lighting, relaxing patios. I never wanted to leave. We spent our 23rd wedding aniversary here and our love just grew even greater. We felt so happy, when we went out to play around in Ojai, we enjoyed every moment.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

The Blue Iguana Inn exceeded my expectations in so many ways. Wish I could have spent more than one night, but even one night there is worth going. For the price of only a hotel room elsewhere, we had a one-bedroom suite with full kitchen, beautifully furnished living room, plush bedroom and spa-like bathroom. And their very generous continental breakfast was enough to keep us satisfied 'til dinner. I'll definitely return to the Blue Iguana Inn and strongly recommend it to anyone visiting Ojai Valley. I chose this hotel and our room based solely on their website, which I think depicts the accommodations very well. I have nothing but praise for the Blue Iguana Inn and its services.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
San Luis Obispo, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

This comfortable property is a good destination if you are headed to Ojai. The property is reminiscent of a vintage California mission-style motor court. It is well kept and clean with nice landscaping. The staff is very accommodating. We stayed in a two-bedroom suite - #1 - it is the closest property to the main (two-lane) road going in to Ojai. Although traffic noise is not that big of a problem next time I would request a room at the back of the property. If you want to be able to walk from dinner to your hotel, this is not the place for you.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the property - away from the main road
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

My husband and Is stayed in the Casita del Sol for 5 days because we aren't taking our honeymoon until December and we needed a little TLC time before the holidays. The Blue Iguana exceeded our expectations. The Casita is adorable with a beautiful private backyard and enormous front porch to sit, drink wine, play scrabble or just enjoy the lovely Ojai nights. And the price is MORE than reasonable. We loved every second we were there, found the ladies at the front desk very helpful for suggestions and referrals and can't wait to come back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple