“GRAINS & GREENS”

Feast Bistro
Cuisines: American, French, Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Using mostly local food, our culinary team produces amazing worldly flavors in front of your eyes! Our open kitchen and cozy dining room provide the ambiance of enjoying a relaxing meal as though you are in your best friend's kitchen. Our intimate, pet-friendly patio tucked in the back of Ojai's historic Arcade is also a favorite spot to unwind!
Reviewed June 30, 2014

WE love going to Feast Bistro. It is always a favorite for us as we usually have dinner once every other week. WE love the GRAINS & GREENS - always fresh & interesting.

2  Thank Cpsidwell

Reviewed June 17, 2014

We made a reservation and arrived on time. We were given a "special" menu as well as the regular menu. We proceeded to order off the regular menu and were told that the food on the regular menu was unavailable. The food on the "special" menu consisted of tortellini in a cream sauce, an entree of grains, pasta with vegetables, chicken breast and swordfish. All four of us ordered the swordfish after being told by the waitress how delicious it was. The waitress returns and tells us there is no more swordfish available. It's now 6:45pm; how could they sell out so quickly? The place is not bustling with people.

There's really nothing else we want on this menu but our wine came so we felt stuck. Two of us order the chicken and the other two order salads. BTW, we also told that they ran out of toasted almonds for their "special" beet salad. Oh, and someone "forgot" to turn the fryer on so they can't make their signature fries. We ask for bread, at least, and are asked if we want vinegar with it. What???? The hostess/manager (whatever she is) comes over to ask if we are satisfied. We say no, we are disappointed because we should have been told when we made the reservation (or at the very least when we arrived) that the regular menu was not available. Also, we all wanted the swordfish which is not available. She tells us that there is more swordfish coming and will check with the kitchen as to when it will arrive. We tell her we will happily wait for it as we are not in any rush.

Time passes and we are told they have no bread and our default selection entrees arrive: the chicken and the side salads. The chicken portion is tiny - really it looks like one breast was cut in half. The whole dish looked like airplane food. My spring salad consisted of bagged greens, 3 carrot ribbons and 4 itsy-bitsy pieces of apple. Was a monkey running the kitchen????? Since we were celebrating a birthday at our table, we were brought a plate of blackened spit with a candle in the middle. They said it was their lava cake, but it was a mashed up, gooey substance plopped on a plate with a dollop of whipped cream next to it. It looked like it was scooped out of a baby's diaper. It resembled lava cake in neither taste nor appearance.

The hostess/manager (whatever she is) comes by once more and again asks us if we are satisfied. We tell her how unsatisfactory the whole experience has been and two men at a neighboring table yell out "Here, here!" When we tell her we will not be returning, she starts arguing with us and then huffs away. For this, we had the honor of paying $145. We were offered no discount, no apology, no nothing!

Do yourself a favor and NEVER go here. The chef/owner has a reputation for having a bad attitude and they clearly don't care about their patrons. I have never wanted a restaurant to fail but I hope this one does. Ojai is a very small community and word gets around. Shame on this restaurant.

2  Thank kms14119
OjaiBound, Owner at Feast Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2014

kms, My name is Beryl and I own Feast Bistro. Michele (your server) and I had the most communication with you that evening. The first thing I would like to say is thank you for not taking your dissatisfaction out on Michele. The second thing I would like to say is you're right. We fell down on the job. I could make excuses, but I'm not going to do so. It was your father's birthday and we appreciate that he wanted to join us for it and are sorry it was disappointing. We would like to try to make it up to him by offering dinner on the house. Obviously he and your mother had been in before as they are locals and obviously our service and product was not up to our normal standard. If you and your husband would like to join them, you are more than welcome to do so. Please feel free to contact me at Feast, 805-640-9260. If I am not there, I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thank you. Beryl Schwartz

Reviewed May 7, 2014

Great service. Great food. The selections had uniqueness, but not crazy. Need more solid type of chairs on the patio--plastic not always the most comfortable to sit in..

Reviewed April 15, 2014

This little spot has a true bistro atmosphere. The cooking happens in the front of the restaurant in a small space. It doesn't look like there's enough room to "do it right", but they do!

Reviewed March 17, 2014

What a gem. We sat up front by the "kitchen" and thoroughly enjoyed the activity and interaction with Chef Susan. The food was fantastic. We were lucky enough to be visiting pre St Patrick's day and they had corn beef and cabbage as a special. My husband said it was the best he had ever had, We will definitely be back on our next visit.