“Bad management and poor service trump good food”
Review of Feast Bistro - CLOSED

Feast Bistro
Cuisines: American, French, Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Using mostly local food, our culinary team produces amazing worldly flavors in front of your eyes! Our open kitchen and cozy dining room provide the ambiance of enjoying a relaxing meal as though you are in your best friend's kitchen. Our intimate, pet-friendly patio tucked in the back of Ojai's historic Arcade is also a favorite spot to unwind!
Camarillo, California
“Bad management and poor service trump good food”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

This restaurant serves tasty food, but everything else about the experience was disappointing. When we arrived, we watched one waitress rush around taking orders for half a dozen tables, while three other employees stood around. Later when the place filled up it was all hands on deck, but I never saw the floor staff working together as a unit -- a sure sign of poor management.

More troubling was the air of snootiness in the room. The manager/owner doted on a handful of guests who I gathered were regulars, igoring the rest. My party didn't require extra attention, but the manager's time would have been better spent working the whole room, directing waiter traffic, backing up the bus staff by picking up dirty plates, etc. -- the things a good restaurant manager does.

As I was paying the check, one of the chefs came over and asked how the meal was. I replied that the food was delicious but that my meal (mushroom ravioli) had been delivered lukewarm. (I know the dish was good because I ate most of it for breakfast the next morning, this time hot.) The chef immediately looked at the floor, muttering in a hostile tone "ok, ok" as she left the table.

A good restaurant craves this kind of candor from a guest, and trolls sites like this one to learn what to correct to make the dining experience better. Most guests don't want to be perceived as complainers, and won't tell a waitress or manager what could have been improved, even when asked. When a guest offers constructive criticism, a waiter, manager or chef of a good restaurant will thank the diner and take the opportunity to kick the tires and see if the complaint has merit. Every well-managed restaurant undertakes this self-examination process as part of its corporate culture. It was no surpose that the Feast Bistro chef wasn't interested in feedback. By the end of the meal it was clear to me that this restaurtant isn't well-managed.

I would never go back. At a pricey restaurant good food should be a given, not something special. People come for an experience, not just a meal. The experience this restaurant delivered was well below average. If you are one of the in-crowd who is well-taken-care-of by management, bon appetit! For the rest of us wandering in off the street, there simply isn't any excuse for such bad management and service.

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank Gordon1957

Midwest
“Wow, wow”
Reviewed December 22, 2012

One of the best meals in my life. Feast Bistro makes fabulous food without the pretense. The atmosphere is casual, but cool. The food is outstanding. Mussels and clams were amazing. My husband had the fish of the day. I had duck. Just wonderful.

Visited November 2012
Boulder, Colorado
“Delicious”
Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

Exquisite food and warm inviting environment made a perfect location for a cozy conversation. The butternut ravioli was exceptional

Los Angeles, California
“Good food and nice ambiance for casual dining.”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I enjoyed the meal shared with my other half. We like to share meals. We ordered the garden salad which was very fresh and enjoyable and the pork posole for comfort food. But the best part of the dinner was the carrot cake which exceeded our expectations. Would go back to this restaurant.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Terry Y
Redwood City, California
“Really like this place”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Excellent personal service, great food cooked in a kitchen in the middle of the restaurant. Menu changes for each season and we had the fall menu. Duck and Flat Iron steak were seasoned beautifully and the sides were very good too. Try it out!

Visited October 2012