“C'Mon, Get it TOGETHER!”
Review of Ojai Deer Lodge

Ojai Deer Lodge
Ranked #33 of 98 Restaurants in Ojai
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: The historic Deer Lodge serves the authentic Ojai experience in a warm, rustic environment that has been in continuous operation since 1932. We offer farm-to-table dining with fresh product sourced locally from local farms. Enjoy quality meat, fresh local seafood, gourmet burgers and classic comfort food selections including Mac 'n Cheese, organic (and famous) Fried chicken and our weekend BBQ. We offer a selection of 20 craft brews and a wine list comprised of the best of the Ojai Valley. Evening transitions to a lively music scene featuring the best of Ojai talent an national talent.
Reviewed February 11, 2014

I want to start off by saying I REALLY want this place to improve to the type of place that it's setting and history dictate, and written from the selfish viewpoint of a long-time Ojai citizen chronically bemoaning our lack of dining choices.
My Fiance and I tried this place about 9 months or so ago when new ownership took over with a lot of hoopla about focus on the food and revitalization. We both had burgers as they were claiming this was their "sweet spot" and their particular take on a Caesar Salad. the salad dressing was watery and pretty nondescript bordering on tasteless, and the burgers, ordered medium rare, were as over done as hockey pucks. the service, while friendly, was slow and edging towards inattentive. So, last night I decided to give it a try again with my 16 year old with hopes that the previous experience was just a "bad night" for them. Sadly, it apparently wasn't...The Caesar was virtually the same, an utter rip-off for a small costing $9 that doesn't taste good enough for my Caesar loving teenager to want to finish it! He gave a good report on his Watkins burger, but the fries are huge chunks of potato with really no flavor. My patty melt, ordered medium, was once again done "well", and sadly the best thing about my meal were the onion rings (hard to screw those up) and the draft Firestone DBA. what's so sad is that this place is SO COOL, but I have to say that I will only drop by their for the occasional drink and listening to music, NOT THE FOOD!

1  Thank Barclay H

Reviewed February 5, 2014

My family and I visited the deer lodge in good spirits and ready for a few night caps following the new year. After old times at Deer Lodge, we noticed the place has taken on a soft approach to what it was. The old market next door has been turned into a stage/family area, not single scooter was outside, and no smoking signs plaster the area; I was quickly scolded for lighting my puro. In my amazment of what appeared to be regulars to the bar thru their knowledge of the staff and the staffs reciprocal attitudes, marijuana activities from the group emerged in plain view of other patrons and my family. When I approached them and requested they move their activities to a more appropriate location away from the public, I received the lackadaisical attitude and snickering with our waitress shrugging her shoulders. It is apparent a legal puro is banned immediately, but smoking marijuana is acceptable here. Besides the culture the Deer Lodge is engendering, there is a good selection of schop beer and singles. Expect mixed drink to be under poured. I didn't try any food so no rating on that. I really want to regain my positive attitude towards the deer lodge.

Reviewed January 27, 2014

We stayed at one of the hotels the restaurant owners manages. There was a mix-up with our reservation so they gave us a discount to eat dinner at the Deer Lodge.
We loved the building. I'm sure it's a very new building but they made it look like a rustic wooden lodge. Decor inside was not overdone, just enough to keep it authentic. It was a bit cool so we ate inside, even though they had plenty of outside eating space.
The clientele appeared to be a good blend of locals and tourists. I always consider it a good sign when plenty of locals are eating in a restaurant.
The service was very good. The food was decent, with limited options. I had the Wild Boar, which was cooked how I like it. It was a bit too sweet with the whiskey glaze. My wife had a medium rare sirloin steak, which had excellent seasoning but a bit tough.
For dessert, I had the Warm Brownie Sunday. It was very light on the ganache and the brownie itself was more of a piece of chocolate cake than a brownie. My wife had the bread pudding, which was a much better option.
I'd go back but probably try one of their burgers. They looked really good.

Reviewed January 22, 2014

We had gotten a voucher for $15 off our meal from an Amazon Deal we got with our hotel offer at The Capri. After reading some not so good reviews of the Deer Lodge we decided to go to lunch there on a Sunday. It was easy to find and we parked on the street a few feet from the entrance. When we walked in we were greeted by a wait person and told we could sit anywhere, so we chose the bar. We ordered bloody marys and a BLTA to share. Their bloody mary's came with a huge slice of bacon which was a nice change from the normal celery garnish which was cool and the BLTA was good too. Our bartender, Brad, was nice, cheerful and attentive. We had a very nice lunch and the BLTA (bacon,lettuce, tomato & avocado) was priced the same as the regular BLT we usually order in L.A. so it was super to have the avocado included in the price. They were showing the football game on the TV's at the bar so we got a glimpse of that too. All in all our lunch was a good one and we will come back again to the Deer Lodge the next time we are in Ojai.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

we stayed at the owners inn and had been given quite a build up for this restaurant, so had high hopes that were not met. Appealing decor and location out of town (but hard to see in the dark of night so be careful), farm to table - but taste was wanting on the fried chicken and tri tip was way overcooked - gravy was quite a disappointment taste wise on the mashed potatoes too - so do not waste your time there. maybe the steaks were the way to go. would not go back.

Been to Ojai Deer Lodge? Share your experiences!