“Satisfying, friendly, accommodating”

Azu Restaurant & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Azu Restaurant & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 98 Restaurants in Ojai
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Fox St.
Transit: Bus stop across the street.
Description: We at Azu believe the best dishes are made from fresh ingredients. We look to the local farmers that we know grow quality organic and natural produce, that help give our menu that special California twist. Our bar menu is filled with craft cocktails with juices squeezed right from Ojai's citrus orchards where are bartenders hand pick fruit to help make the perfect mimosa, martini's, and Richies famous Bloody Mary. We love supporting our California wineries, breweries, farmers, and hormone free companies. We buy locally and organically whenever possible and strive to add a California twist to our Spanish inspired menu. For over 10 years, Owner and Chef Laurel Moore has taken this inspiration and has created a ambiance and menu that has the feel of a mediterranean retreat, authentic destination, and local Ojai escape. We strive to provide the tastiest and freshest ingredients while preparing our dishes with the pure natural flavor of farm driven produce and flavors. We offer organic, vegan, Paleo, gluten free, vegetarian, and other dietary restricted options as well as healthy nutritional options for kids. Our dishes are designed to meet the needs of Everyone who walks through our historic doors. We cater to couples nights out, large parties and receptions, wedding events, Happy Hour connoisseurs, anniversary celebrations, outdoor dining, Tapas tastings, wine tastings, beer samplings, corporate events, and have a wide variety of Tapas and Celebration menus to choose from. Whether you are looking to escape from the hustle bustle of the city or are an Ojai local in need of a special night out. Our destination style atmosphere and farm fresh California Tapas, fresh juice cocktails, and local wine and beer, is the perfect place to find sanctuary within a culinary inspired establishment.
Reviewed April 8, 2013

During our 2-day trip to Ojai, we searched Yelp and Tripadvisor for restaurant recommendations. We find Yelp useful, but the reviewers are frequently pizza and hamburger oriented. Fortunately, we stumbled upon Azu, which was right up our alley: more upscale, adult in taste, high-quality food nicely presented in a tasteful refined atmosphere. (PLEASE don't bring your young children if they're loud.)

My sweetie ordered the half-chicken, which I would describe to you in more detail, except he inhaled it so fast I didn't see it. I ordered the "steak frite", which was a flat-iron steak with sweet potato fries. I LOVE flat-iron steak, but avoid fries, so when I nicely asked if there was any chance of substituting a veggie instead, the server pleasantly offered that they could probably provide sautéed veggies instead. I received a beautifully presented and sliced flat-iron steak (to die for!), and a scrumptious sautéed mix of mushrooms, broccoli, onions and asparagus.

The food was perfect (not too salty-- as is very common nowadays), the service was attentive and accommodating, the atmosphere in the front room was serene, bright, and visually pleasing, and the price was very fair (about $22 per entree). We will definitely come back and highly recommend this lovely restaurant.

1  Thank janwg1

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Had a very enjoyable dinner. The small plates are generous and everything well done. Nice atmosphere and attentive wait staff. We received an incorrect entree but it was quickly corrected and handled very nicely with complementary dessert. 30 percent off wine on Monday!

Reviewed March 27, 2013

just had dinner at azu with my wife and adult daughter. we shared a variety of small plates, as well as a larger salad and an entree. the dishes were all well prepared and flavorful. the mussels and the mushroom ravioli were standouts, and the chile relleno unique. highly recommended.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Great place for dinner - our hostess was very friendly, the rolls were wonderful & warm, we had the seafood paella, and the artichoke caprese appetizer - both were wonderful. You have to try Laura's Mojito - the BEST drink I've ever had.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

We had an amazing dinner at Azu.
Everything was perfect.

We made reservations over open table and when we arrived we were seated immediately. Our server Richie was very attentive. We ordered the vegetable Paella as an appetizer and it was delicious, very fresh with a unique taste to it. I ordered a lemonade and int was probably one of the best lemonades I have ever had (and I drink a lot of lemonade :) ). My boyfriend had the sea bass and I had the roasted chicken and both our meals were delicious. For dessert we chose the chocolate souffle, which was served hot, with chocolate sauce and whipped cream. For me the highlight of the dinner.

On top of that, everything is prepared with local, organic ingredients, which makes it even better.

If you are in or around Ojai, make sure and stop by, I can only recommend it.