“Great deal, pleasant experience”
Review of Hummingbird Inn

Hummingbird Inn
Ranked #8 of 9 Ojai B&B and Inns
Hanover, NH
“Great deal, pleasant experience”
Reviewed March 13, 2012

I stayed at the Hummingbird Inn for two nights while I was in Ojai for a friend's wedding. The exterior screams "dingy motel" but the rooms were actually quite nice. I booked the "suite" which had a full kitchen and living room. The decor was a nice mix of modern and antique. I loved the comfy leather couches and huge flat-screen TV in the living room.

The breakfast was decent for a free hotel breakfast. It had the usual fare: yogurt, cereal, toast, pre-packaged muffins and a make-your-own waffle bar. The best feature, to me, was the incredible selection of tea. There were over 10 different flavors, including exciting options like coconut chai and lavender rooiboos. Both coffee and tea were available in the lobby all day. There were also cookies available during the afternoon.

I found the staff to be very polite and helpful. They even went out of their way to lend me tape and scissors when I needed to wrap a gift to bring to my friend's wedding. Overall, I would say that this isn't a 5-star hotel by any means, but they do a fantastic job for a very reasonable price. I would definitely stay here again if I come back to the Ojai area.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank NHTravelChic

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Los Angeles
Reviewed February 21, 2012

I recently won a lawsuit against the Hummingbird Inn. For the full story of what I and a group of friends I was with experienced, see my March 2, 2011 review of this motel. The lack of professionalism, dishonesty, disregard for hotel guests' safety, the poorest customer service, etc by owner Steve Edelson (dba Royal Oak, Inc) and his staff came shiningly through in the courtroom. Although it is my understanding that some safety improvements have been made since my stay there over a year ago, nothing will change the lack of regard for customers, including Mr. Edelson's unwillingness to ensure the basic needs of guests are made - simple things such as ensuring rooms consistently have hot water, staff is at the Inn to address issues in the evening, etc. Shocking, but true. He also owns the Capri and El Rancho in Ojai - please be careful as Mr Edelson hss ruined many people's vacations.

Room Tip: Just do not stay here - not worth it.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank CormanLosAngeles

Travelers are raving about these Ojai hotels

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 4, 2012

I booked a 2-night stay thru LA Weekly deal at the Hummingbird. The room was clean with all of the appointments that we were expecting but too few towels that felt like sandpaper. The breakfast was disappointing as most of the food was already gone by the time we got down to the breakfast area. The front desk service was horrible. When asked where we can find a great massage or restaurant we were told to look at the brochures. The front desk person also forgot to give us our $30 certificate at the Deer Lodge. Also was not helpful when we inquired about splitting our days across two visits. Horrible management. This place is good if you are looking for a down and dirty motel experience.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else - closer to downtown area like Ojai Valley Inn Spa.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank bon_vivant_310
Victorville, California
Reviewed November 8, 2011

Nice place. Towels were cheap,old and rough. Otherwise it was a very nice place for couples or friends doing a get away.Great little semi private sitting areas around you room.

Room Tip: Bring your own glasses for wine and such, they use paper cups.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Kris C
Sacramento, California
Reviewed September 25, 2011

Cute place - rooms look just like the pictures! The room was comfortable, cozy, and clean. Absolutely LOVE the "BeeKind" products - smells so good! Friendly staff - polite and attentive. Good breakfast, too - waffles, oatmeal, assorted cereals, toast, bagels, fresh OJ machine. mmm Great value for the price.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank JustShel
California
Reviewed August 23, 2011

Since returning from my recent trip to Ojai, I have attempted to reach out to the owner on several occasions, regarding various concerns that I had with my hotel stay (regarding the way we were treated by management and the horrible poor condition of the supposedly renovated/remodeled room), all to no avail. Upon arrival, I was charged the entire 2 day stay (by the way, the room was paid in full 3 months prior via a Home Run deal). Yesterday, I was informed by management that the owner would NOT be contacting me period and that the owner didnt feel that anything was wrong with the room. What an awful way to conduct business!!!! Several issues of concern: Air-conditioning unit – very loud when running and not fitted or sealed properly in wall; Old water stain and cobweb on ceiling; Uneven door resulting in gap at top of closed bathroom doorframe; Inside bathroom view with uneven door closed - chipped and cracked paint around bathroom door and bathroom doorframe; No security chain on inside of entry door to our room; Old stain on bed linen; Ill-fitted fan cover over air duct in bathroom; Cracked shower curtain rod; Shoddy paint job to cover possible mold(?) stain on wall above bath; Chipped and cracked paint job on the bottom of the bathroom door I am both shocked and appalled by the way Hummingbird management handled this situation and that they have assumed absolutely NO responsibility, refused to refund our money and furthermore treated us very poorly. Quite frankly, I cannot understand how the owner is conducting/operating business in the manner that he is. I have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau as well as AAA against the Hummingbird Inn. Highly not reccommend this hotel....period.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
7 Thank glamgirl1
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 19, 2011

The Hummingbird Inn is my favorite, stylish/budget-conscious place to stay in Ojai...so I don't quite understand the cranky reviews. I stayed here for the Ojai Playwrights Conference in Aug. '09 and liked it so much I came back Aug. '11. And it's only gotten better in the interim. The exterior looks like a standard, old motel but the interior remodel - to our upstairs room - was gorgeous! Nice hardwood floors, a great bed and bedding, flat screen TV, and a beautiful sink and new tile work. It's walkable to town and a great farmer's market and the complimentary breakfast was one of the best I've had in ages. (Fresh juice machine and waffle maker.) I also love the renovation they've done on the lobby. Cute, sweet, modern. This isn't a 5-star hotel...but a cute, affordable, little boutique-y oasis in Ojai. (I saved $15/night over their website rate by booking on Hotels.com. Also, ask for an upstairs room. Great light.) For the price and aesthetics you can't beat it. I'll definitely be back!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business