“Disappointed”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This restaurant has recently done a massive remodel and is quite beautiful to look at, but as we all know, if beauty is only skin deep, it is a short lived and disappointing beauty.
We had a friend visiting from out of state, and she really wanted fish. We thought we would have a very nice experience at Sea Fresh.
When we arrived at the restaurant I went inside and said hello to the 3 people behind the counter.
I received no acknowledgement from them. I waited. And waited. Nothing. Frustrated, I went back outside to my husband and friend and told them that I had been ignored. So, my friend, from out of town, went in and said that I had been ignored. Because she was more aggressive, she was noticed and we were seated by a tall blond huffy sort of person.
My fish taco contained really really fishy and dark fish. I had ordered halibut tacos, which should have been quite good. The other food was average. The formerly delicious appetizer zucchini was not good.
On another visit we were seated outdoors and had to move because of the smelly fumes coming from the gas fireplace. The server we had that time behaved rather strangely when we asked to be moved.
We have been going to this restaurant for many years. It looks lovely and they have done a beautiful job with the remodel. However, I hope for their sake that they get their stuff together and find a better staff and by all means, a much better cook.
As for us, I don't think we will return.

1  Thank Elesem57

Reviewed October 20, 2012

I have been a fan of Sea Fresh for many years. They have always been the go to place for fish tacos with my family. They recently went through a major remodel. The place looks very nice. I recently went with a couple friends on a Saturday night. It was pretty busy, but we got seated right away. The problem was the service. We were rushed through our meal to the point of not being able to have a conversation. My meal was removed before I had a chance to object! The service ruined our night out. I feel bad giving them a horrible review. The food is still pretty good, but I won't go back.

2  Thank Joyce S
Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

We had been here years ago ane were not that impressed.
Recent renovations amd wanting seafood close to home, we gave it another chance.
Food was great! I dinged it a bit for lack of choices for smaller appetites. I usually order an app and a side for my dinner.... There apps are the same portion size as their main... minus the side and salad. I like places where their apps are smaller OR they offer smaller portion options (I don't like leftovers).
The service and the drinks were AWSOME!!
Atmosphere was clean and relaxed... NOT fancy... A pair of shorts and a T-Shirt would be fine.
Prices were very reasonable for the area. Our dinner bill was about $40. LESS than we typically spend on a Friday night dinner out in Ventura/Ojai (including adult beverages)!

Reviewed September 4, 2012

First time I've been to this place. It has a nice large outdoor patio with some partial views of the mountains so that's a plus. But at least on the day I went over the Labor Day weekend the service was rather slow, even though the place did not look all that full and the food was average at best. The menu selection is OK with mixtures of salads, sandwiches and of course fish dishes. The wine by the glass list is typical and uninteresting considering there are a number of wineries located in Ojai, but none of their products made it to the by the glass list. Still, I like to give a place at least two chances so I will go back a second time, but as they say the first impression counts and from that perspective I was far from impressed.

1  Thank ChrisinSOCA
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Would not recommend this place amongst many of the fine restaurants in the area, maybe a good stop for a quick lunch, but below average for dinner. We left disappointed with food and service.

1  Thank Robbienelson123