“A good dog friendly hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Capri

The Capri
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Ojai
Los Angeles, California
“A good dog friendly hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2014

My partner and I wanted a decent hotel to spend the night in before heading for an early morning hike near Ojai. I called to make the reservation and asked for one of their patio rooms so that our dog could have a little outdoor space. The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. We enjoyed the hotel's vintage flare (our room had a record player and records) and the DVD selection you could borrow from. The hotel suggested we hit the Deer Lodge for dinner which we also enjoyed. My only criticisms would be the price (we paid $180 for just one night) and the AC which was really loud. We had to keep it off at night so we could sleep but then it just ended up being too hot to sleep. Overall we enjoyed this stay and are definitely thinking of going again in the near future.

Room Tip: Ask for a patio room if you have a dog or want some outdoor space. (The patios are smoker friendly).
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2014

I luv Ojai. Will never stay at this hotel again. Dirty in places that you can tell they don't clean well... drapes, shower curtain, lounge chair in room (looked like blood..yikes), walls, jacuzzi. Staff, including owner are surly and don't like groupon, even though they participate in the program. I was told they don't receive that much money from coupon so with that mentality I can see why they treat customers with contempt.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Nineteen59

Travelers are raving about these Ojai hotels

Los Angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014

Let's be frank: it's a 1960s-era hotel (complete with Fred Flintstone-style fireplace wall in the lobby) that new owners have spiffed up a bit but it's still a little rough around the edges. So don't consider this a direct competitor to the Ojai Valley Inn ($350 and up a night), ok? However, for the $$ we felt it was a great deal. Details:

It's got location near central Ojai; we brought our bikes and didn't use the car all weekend.

We had room 101 - a patio room with an extra huge patio area, complete with an outdoor vinyl lounge-y daybed kinda thing. Nice.

Interiors: Acid green walls and white furnishings + white trim, with black-n-white decor accents. (Bargain basement Kelly Wearstler…fun but frugal.) Homorous touches: Disco color changing light on the patio, bathroom goodies in a brushed aluminum lunch box, MREs as part of sassy in-room snacks. Good bed with good mattress. Big TV + smarty-pants 70s-80s selection of VHS tapes with VHS player.

There's a pool and some really nice mature landscaping (palms, trees, etc) thanks to the overall age of the property. Family and pet friendly. Very happy with the value proposition here.

Room Tip: Ask for patio room (easiest load in, load out because no stairs.) Room 101 specifically is the swan...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Akimbeau
Long Beach, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

What a cute mid-century boutique hotel! This has got to be the best deal in Ojai. The rooms are a great size with modern furniture and even a record player. If you come with a pup, ask for a first floor patio room -- the patio is huge and a great option even for bigger dogs. Location is also walkable to the main dining and shopping district - only used our car once all weekend. The staff was very kind and helpful and overall our stay was quite wonderful. Not a "luxury" experience, but the perfect choice for an affordable weekend away or family trip!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Julienm102
Santa Monica, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014

WOW! The Capri is exquisite stylish atmosphere. The colors of lightness and freshness are delightful surroundings for good feelings and memorable time. Also, I have never been n a cleaner hotel anywhere at any price ever. Amazing! Really! The place should be labeled "Boutique", as the grounds and furnishings are impeccably beautiful. The swimming pools are so nice. There's a child's pool and a jacuzzi, too. Streamlined high-quality Italian design furniture is inviting for romance, family and business. From the lobby thru the very boutique grounds, to the room, this is a gem spot. The room had a record player with great records, (fridge, microwave etc.). I played it when I woke up. The local treats in the room delighted me. I slept so good in that super clean bed and room. I look forward to reading some good reviews on this place. I had excellent customer service, and so did my husband. FIVE STAR BOUTIQUE, and Ojai is unique! Loved it, and will tell all my friends from LA to go and relax in style here.

Room Tip: Bring a swimsuit.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank anne s
San Diego
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2014

Decent place, kind of funky but IT IS IMPOSSIBLE to get anyone on the phone! No one is ever at the front desk, no one ever answers the phone. I've stayed here a few times as it is located just were I need it for business but almost every time I'm worried that my reservation is lost. A little town mentality I suppose? So frustrating.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Kim B
Carlsbad, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014

Seriously, one of the BIGGEST let downs when it comes to a hotel. The groupon I purchased made it look so amazing. The pictures were beautiful, made it look like a five star boutique hotel.

This was NOT the case. Here is why...

Arrived Friday for one night. Tried to check in at 2pm, and the man working the front wasn't overly friendly or nice, he was just... monotone. He said the room would need twenty more minutes, so I told him okay, my man and I will be reading at the pool. Half an hour goes by- nothing. I go in inquiring if it was done, he said yes. Okay, thanks for letting us know. Jeez.

The jacuzzi wasn't working- the ONE thing I was looking forward to most. The pool was filthy- I understand it was windy, but someone needs to clean that top layer of nasty. The room had Ikea Hack furniture which I thought was hilarious. No iron in the room, not hair dryer. The bathroom was quickly repainted and you can see the paint rolls where it was done in a hurry. Not classy. There were two screws sticking out like they moved the towel holder down, and just left the past screws there.

There were cobwebs outside on the light fixtures, it just wasn't clean. It was presentable enough to get by, but if you REALLY look closely, you'll notice it's not as wonderful as the pictures.

DO NOT expect a call back if you make reservations. I finally made one after calling twice. I called twice a few days before to confirm we were set, and no one answered. I called again and was halfway leaving a message when someone picks up the phone. Were you seriously screening calls? Really?

I didn't even take pictures of the room and THAT says a lot, it wasn't worth my time.

This was not the same hotel I stayed at to deserve five stars- I want to know how I had such a gross experience.

To cap this off, their customer service was nowhere compared to even giving it a star rating. I know it's a little harsh, but this was not a place I'd ever return to. If you bought a groupon, I hope you have a better experience than I did.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Stacy M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ojai
Casa Ojai Inn
Oakridge Inn
#1 of 1 in Oak View
BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn of Ventura
Ojai Valley Inn & Spa

Been to The Capri? Share your experiences!