“Unexpected Comfort & Cuteness in Ojai”
Review of The Capri

The Capri
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Ojai
Los Angeles, California
“Unexpected Comfort & Cuteness in Ojai”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I found the Capri by chance when I needed to stay in Ojai overnight at the last minute and found this adorable place. The Capri is a small renovated motor inn that's been done over in a minimalist, hip contemporary style, granted with a lot of Ikea but still fresh and cute. it's super reasonable and basic but has (almost) everything you need for a comfortable stay.....clean rooms with cable, small fridge and a new cool line of cruelty-free bath products, coffee in the morning in the lobby and a pretty pool area and a lush green lawn. Plus alot of the rooms have a balcony or patio. The only things missing were a more comfortable bed and bathtubs. I happened to visit during a time they were having trees cut down and it was a little loud for the whole day, there was no notice so it might have been nice to forewarn guests or offer wine at the pool to help ignore the constant chainsaw noise. I could see how Christopher who's the office manager might come across as a bit moody but he he was really great and super helpful, going out of his way to make a room transition easy even when I returned from the hotel 2-3 hrs later than expected. I will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs balcony room
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Ventura
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I have stayed at some very nice hotels but this one stole my heart. Its small but has everything I need since I travel light. The pool area was so relaxing and beautiful. I especially enjoyed the Cabanas when I wanted to take a short nap. There are no poolside services but I am certainly capable of bringing a small ice chest with everything I need. There is an adorable market right down the street which you can get anything you might want for a small getaway.
The water is not heated but the warm weather in Ojai makes the natural temperature perfect and refreshing.
The rooms are simple but spacious and have patios or balconys. The type of guests who stay here are friendly and not pretentious which makes you feel like you are welcome.
I am definitely heading back here soon.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Cynthia S
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed June 12, 2013

The pool was wonderful! There's a nice lawn courtyard, fire pit & lounge chairs. If you're looking for a nice place to sun bathe and float the Capri is great. They offer bikes for guest use & offer a breakfast of coffe & packaged danish. Rooms are bright and clean but not fabulous. Overall town is quiet, with many great restaurants.

Room Tip: All lower level rooms have a pool side patio, but not all patios have access to pool.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Madera, California
Reviewed June 6, 2013

The lady here is nice, otherwise I would have given the service a one star. The youngish hippy guy at the front desk was not so nice. The bathroom lights (all the lights) are on a timer. We did not know this and when my daughter was taking a shower at night, the light went out on her. She fell and bumped her head and fell again trying to feel her way out. She wasn't seriously hurt but could have been. When I told the guy (Is his name Christopher? I'm guessing it is by the other reviewers similar complaints), he merely said that's just the way it is and the same thing happens to him (perhaps, maybe one too many times). No concern, no apology, just a get lost look, which is his permanent expression.

Also, the website says they have in-room coffee makers. They don't. There is this redundant water pitcher heater (redundant because there is a microwave below it that can do the same thing faster). If I know in advance my room does not have a coffee maker, I bring my own. But alas, I was falsely advertized this feature and was even more disappointed when I found out the lobby doesn't open until 8am. We had places to be and couldn't wait. Some people (me) cannot function without coffee. I cannot drive or even talk. I had to get my husband to drive into town for expensive coffee on both mornings. I found that to be an unnecessary inconvenience. Christopher acted inconvenienced that I even brought it up.

The free breakfast is basics like yogurt, cereal, bread. The orange juice was in a carton and had expired two months prior. This concerned me since the milk was in a machine and there was no telling how old it was.

On a good note, the hotel is pretty and beautifully decorated with a nice pool and a park-like setting. I'm disappointed that the location is ideal, the rooms roomy, and the cat (Nicco) sweet and I will never get to see them again (unless I hear Christoper has left).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
9 Thank k d

Travelers are raving about these Ojai hotels

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Our First Visit in May 2013 .... Lovely 3 night stay, nice food, very warm and friendly welcome made it more of special happy experience, with great prices, clean and comfortable room, Perfect Area situated by the sea and near Local Attractions. Highly Recommended and definitely worth a return visit.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Seemingly retro, cool vibe turned into nightmare upon encountering manager named Christopher and sidekick Deseree. Managager threatened to call the police on me (screaming in my face) when I asked him why HE was 20 minutes late opening the lobby in the morning for coffee. The police? In Ojai? In hindsite, I wish he had called the police. It might've brought my overall experience and this review to some sort of honest and revealing closure. Physically charming but somehow emotionally abstract property seems to be attributed to this erratic behaving man and the the most apathetic desk girl person I have ever encountered. As for the room, it was bizarre, decorated in garage sale like large pieces of...lawn furniture? Bowls of old school candy for snacks. Limited towels, soap, etc. It was as if the help was on vacation or unsupervised. In fact, the whole place feels unsupervised. Like the staff's parents own it or something and they're on vacation too. I left shortly after being screamed at, got away physically unharmed with all my belongings, and was charged $145 to my credit card. Believe me this hotel, even with a nice staff, would be worth about $35 tops per night. Just a really, really weird experience, like no other I've ever had in all my travels. Forever memorable and very difficult to shake off. I would definitely go to any other Ojai inn, or enter this one at your own risk.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank Hal W
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I went up for a relaxing weekend, and it was just that and more. The rooms are great, the pool clean & refreshing. I even brought my dog along, who loved the zen garden to roam around in. I would definitely go back again soon!

Room Tip: If you have a dog, I'd advise on the bottom floor room w/ a veranda.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ojai
Casa Ojai Inn
#2 of 9 in Ojai
Hummingbird Inn
Hummingbird Inn
#8 of 9 in Ojai

Been to The Capri? Share your experiences!