“"I Wish I Could Have Given Them A 5"” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Capri

The Capri
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Ojai
Irvine, California
“"I Wish I Could Have Given Them A 5"”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2012

I have always been rather generous about my reviews and typically wouldn't even do an online review unless it's a positive one. I just came back from a family getaway in Ojai and stayed at the Capri Hotel. I must admit, the reviews here have helped me decide to book here. There are so many positive reviews about this hotel and rightfully so.

We arrived around 4:00pm to check in and as soon as I walked into the lobby, I was very impressed. It felt like I was transported in Palm Springs during the 60's. It was quaint, artistic and tasteful. My husband was the one who checked us in so I had no interaction with the front desk then.

We knew going in that this was going to be an old hotel so we knew to be more forgiving. I was an International Flight Attendant in the past, now Author, Speaker and Business Consultant so I am used to 5-Star Hotels but can also appreciate some 2-Star Hotels.

When we walked into our hotel room, it was quite nice and well appointed. There were thoughtful details, iPod/iPhone alarm clock, mini-fridge, flat screen TV and snacks. It had a beautiful shade of light green contrasting the luxurious white beds. It felt very cozy. The balcony was a nice touch as I like being able to sit outside without being in the sun too much.

The grounds are very lush and while not too well manicured, it wasn't offensive. It was acceptable. The pool area was very serene and they have 2 beautiful cabanas, which were to my surprise, free! In some resorts, people rent them for the day!

Why did I give them a 3? When we got back to our room to get ready for dinner, we noticed that our phone didn't work so every time we needed to ask the Front Desk for something, we had to use our cell phone. When we told them about it, they just said: "Sorry about that..." We figured, no big deal, we'll be okay with no phone. Then I tried to use the wi-fi connection, which basically came with the package we opted for and an hour of trying to connect, I couldn't connect. So we called Front Desk from our cell phone and told them there is no wi-fi. They just said "Try again later, we're working on it... "

We went out to dinner at this incredible restaurant which I found online, and I will be writing a review on them too. When we got back from dinner, I tried to connect to their wi-fi and again, couldn't. So, we turned on the TV to hopefully catch a movie and after much trial and error, we realized that the TV is not working either. We called Front Desk, who came up to our room at 9:30pm, but unable to fix the TV and again simply said "Sorry..." Oh and the worst part of it all? The A/C unit was positioned right next to the bed with the thermostat not working and vent blowing on the person sleeping on the bed! It was horrible that we had to use pillows to deflect the cold air.

I understand there wasn't anything they could do at that point but what was really disappointing was the attitude of the staff. We don't expect the staff to do the impossible but it would have been more forgiving if they at least showed customers that they CARE. I think that is the word... they didn't CARE as much, and the interaction with the Front Desk was rather cold. One thing they have going are their Housekeepers... they are very kind and made sure we have what we need.

Would we go back to this hotel? Probably. At $189/night, it is still one of the more reasonable hotels in Ojai. However, it will not be our first choice. We'll just be more prepared to expect not to have the more common hotel services like in-house phone, TV, wi-fi and working A/C as well as prepare not to have interaction with the staff, except their very hospitable housekeepers.

Room Tip: The balcony/patio rooms overlooking the pool are nice. We had a room on the second floor but just k...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank EmmaTiebens

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2012

I tend to always see the glass as more than half full, but a rip off is a rip off. AND we paid as much as really nice hotels in Manhattan Beach where you have Amazing service. THAT'S what was annoying... Costly and cheap looking. Yes the rooms DO have a fresh coat of paint and cute furnishings, but they are a smoke screen to some big problems. Let's break it down...the good and the bad:

FRONT DESK
Bad: Christopher was at the front desk when we arrived and said "Welcome to the Ojai Capri" with an absolute unwelcoming face. It always amazes me when I see people who can say hello with a completely blank expression, no smile whatsoever. We tried to jolly him out of his mood by being up beat, which at least got him to smile. THEN get this...I asked him a totally normal question for a first-time visitor, "What do you suggest we absolutely not miss in the way of a restaurant or something to do?" His response was, after a shrug and stone faced, "Anywhere you go is okay." Wow...just makes you want to dash off to all those "okay" places!! He's just not invested in the guests.
Good: fun looking lobby with paintings and cool furnishings.

"HEATED" POOL
Bad: All the guests at the pool had the same reaction to putting a toe in the pool. "YIkes!!" Yep, as cold as tap water. Although they advertise a heated pool, it's not. BIG disappointment since we don't have a pool at home and planned on spending hours there.
Good: clean and if you like it cold, it's great!

"FREE" DVD RENTAL
Bad: There's even a card in the room saying it's free. Nope! Not the case. $2 per movie.

DVD MACHINE DIDN'T WORK
Bad: The machine was broken to top it off. Movie night was ruined for us.

INTERNET DIDN'T WORK!!
Bad: Really??! Their free Internet ONLY works here and there and in SOME parts of the hotel. Christopherm told me the signal isn't that good when I asked about the Internet. Instead of excuses, how about getting a better router?! Problem solved!
Good: it works sometimes...if you're lucky

HORRIBLE BED
Bad: If myou could sleep over the creaking, you'll wake up with sore hips or sore back.
Good: nice comforter

TOILET PAPER...EVEN THAT IS BAD!
Bad: Right from the bargain bin. It's the one ply VERY rough stuff. They just keep skimping at every turn.

THE BALCONY
Bad: Almost funny! Two plastic chairs and a very high table you could even sit at. Who decorated that !patio?! We actually started laughing because it's just so...."Huh?!" Oh! And the balconies are designed so that the people below you can look right up at you. The balconies below jut out so when the guests below walk forward, they can just turn around and say hello to you! No privacy at all.
Good: pleasant enough view

This place DOES make you look forward to going home.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Lemmeintrip B

Travelers are raving about these Ojai hotels

Los Angeles
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2012

Reading some of these reviews, perhaps they have made changes since we stayed here in January - but we found the hotel very disappointing. The room was okay, nothing more, the bed was comfortable enough - but the grounds were disgusting. Our balcony was not clean, and we didn't enjoy the view of run down decks from the rooms below, and an unattractive yard area - nothing like the pictures on their site. Staff was neither pleasant nor unpleasant. The breakfast area was so crowded that we skipped it altogether -- but not without taking a look at the offerings, which were also just okay. Again, perhaps they have made changes (I would call first to make sure). If they did clean up the outdoor area, I would give it a 3-4 rating (4 only because of the value).

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank kginca2
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2012

Loved the pool, garden, room, proximity to town. Chris at the front desk was very helpful. I plan to come back often

• Stayed May 2012
Anaheim Hills, California, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2012

We got a deal for the Capri on Living Social and thought it would be a perfect weekend getaway for our family and another family that we like to travel with. It was about a 2 hour drive from Orange County. The drive from Ventura to Ojai was scenic and the town of Ojai itself was a quaint, artist town that reminded me of Laguna.

The hotel itself was deceiving. From the outside it looked like an old motel, but once you stepped into the lobby you felt like you were in a modern hotel with a lot of retro 50's decor. The artwork in the hotel seemed eerily familiar and when talking to the hotel manager he told me that all the artwork was done by the singer and guitarist of one of my favorite bands, Love and Rockets.

The room itself was really nice. It looked recently remodeled. It had a large, flatscreen TV, DVD player, clock radio with a dock for your iPod Touch or iPhone. The one thing I thought was odd was that they had big, flatscreen HDTV's, but the reception was in standard definition.

There is a nice courtyard with a large lawn big enough to play frisbee or other outdoor activities.The pool area looked like it was recently remodeled with two cabanas, a hot tub, a small kiddie pool and a regular pool. Neither of the pools were heated, but the hot tub was, but it did not have bubbles.

The breakfast that was set up was fantastic. There was a selection of bakery items from local bakeries, cereals for the kids, waffles, fruit, etc. Plenty of food to fill you up and get you ready for your day.

I will definitely come back and stay here next time I'm in Ojai. My only complaints are that the pools are not heated and that the TV's are in SD instead of HD. Other than that, I highly recommend staying here. For the price, you get a lot more than you paid for.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Nigel Y
Chandler, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2012

In spite of the few inconveniences (e.g., no soap at sink, no foam cups in room for coffee, lack of tissues in bath area), we really DID enjoy ourselves at The Capri. We were gone sightseeing most of the day, but the times we had at our room & lobby (for limited breakfast) was most enjoyable -- thanks to Christopher, who made our visit pleasant. Town is delightful for a small one. He facilitated the registration process in spite of the few problems on my part where I had to phone a family member to gain the proper i-d. Beds were terrific.

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Ventura, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2012

This is a small, hotel that seems to have recently modernized their rooms (retro-modern). The pool area is great with BBQ for guests to use, Kids pool next to regular pool and spa.

Family friendly and couple friendly alike. The majestic views of the Topa Topa's from the cool lobby where they have huge Apple computer for guests usage and nice continental breakfast in the morning. Have a fire outside your patio room or chill at many of the restaurants within walking distance.

The gentleman at the front was helpful and accommodating.

We will be back

Room Tip: Down stairs (patio) rooms have private outdoor 'fire pits' and furnature
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple