New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Western Trail Rides

Western Trail Rides
Ranked #10 of 44 things to do in Ojai
More attraction details
Owner description: A western horse back trail experience in the beautiful Ojai Valley. Come explore the natural forest and meadows in a preserved state, as it was hundreds of years ago. An outing that everyone should see and that will never be forgotten.
Ventura, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“False Advertisement”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

I called Western Trail Rides today and inquired about arranging for a group of women (between 5 and 10 people) for a trail ride. The woman who answered my call informed me that she only takes one or two people at a time. However, on Western Trail Rides website they state, "Tell us how many are in your group (just yourself or enjoy a private trail ride with family and friends), your riding interests and your skill level and we'll create the perfect trail ride." Clearly, this is not true. Suffice it to say, I will not contact nor recommend this business to family, friends or acquaintances.

Visited September 2013
4 Thank Audrey E

Los Angeles, California, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A Great Way to Celebrate!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

I took my boyfriend for his first horseback ride for our 3rd anniversary. Melissa was very patient and encouraging since I told her it was his first riding experience. She set us up with a gorgeous sunset ride, with the setting sunlight streaming through the tree branches and tall grasses swaying in the breeze. She walked in front of us and there was another person on horseback behind us, for safety. Melissa chatted with us along the way, telling us about the area and pointing out various natural aspects. We saw a lot of rabbits and even a deer! I loved Will (Willing Spirit) and McGinnis was perfect for my BF (not only was McGinnis an easy ride, they are both redheads! And my boyfriend had just done an animation project on Terry McGinnis from Batman Beyond.) We had a beautiful hour-long ride, and I would definitely go back! The prices are reasonable, too.
One caution: if you want photos, bring your own camera and ask Melissa to take pictures. She had a camera but when I asked if she could send me photos after the ride, she said she doesn't email! Luckily my boyfriend's laptop has a built-in card reader and Melissa was nice enough to let us interrupt her dinner to download the photos.

Visited June 2013
3 Thank Taylor R
Santa Monica
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Very Memorable Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

My boyfriend and I did a sunset ride with Melissa and I could not have been happier with the experience. Melissa is a real cow girl that loves her horses dearly! It's beautiful to watch her with her "boys." The trail is serene, relaxing and the horses are so calm. Melissa is a true professional with so much knowledge about the horses, the land, the fauna/flora and the town of Ojai. The three of us had such a great time talking, laughing and taking in the gorgeous scenery. The landscape is just stunning with the sun setting behind the mountains and turning the adjacent mountains a light pink hue. It was also my birthday and Melissa even called me earlier in the day to wish me a happy birthday! Who does that! Melissa also checked in with us during the ride to make sure we were comfortable and happy. Such a memorable way to spend my birthday. Thank you to Melissa for helping make my day even better.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Donna G
Los Angeles, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“So Magical!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

My boyfriend suprised me by taking me horseback riding for my birthday! I had never been before and he had only been a few times. The own was so sweet and great at giving direction. She gave him the newbe horse and me the more experienced horse. It was great fun. I picked up on how to ride pretty quickly and my horse was friendly and easy going. She even gave me a little running jump at the end of the trail ! And my boyfriend found a new strength.

If you have allergies remember to take a Claritin!

Visited May 2012
3 Thank Rani O
Los Angeles, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Melissa is Awesome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

Fantastic, scenic, relaxing ride with a true cowgirl and horse lover! The horses are beautiful, the surroundings gorgeous and Melissa is a delight.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank mrstuck

Been to Western Trail Rides? Share your experiences!