“our new second home”

Ranked #1 of 9 Ojai B&B and Inns
Ventura, California
“our new second home”
Reviewed May 26, 2010

We wanted something that would not feel like a hotel, but like we live there. The Emerald Iguana has this feel and more. From the big beds, open patios, and lush foliage to the sound of the birds and the wafting smell of jasmine, you can really slip in to living there. The residential neighborhood location also makes you feel at home. We walked into town for most our meals and walked to the Pratt/ Foothill trail head.
The pool was wonderful to lounge by, and the staff was very informed.
We stayed in Feather. It was beautiful with rich colors. I only marked sleep quality at 4 because there are 2 high windows that can not be shaded. If you like to sleep in, bring eye covers for the 6 o'clock hour. We are early risers, but it would have been nice to have it dark a little longer.
We hated to leave, it felt so wonderful and relaxing. We will plan another visit immediately. Do not miss this slice of heaven in Ojai, CA.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Reviewed April 12, 2010

The pictures look charming but beware, a rude and unhelpful
staff awaits. At some point in your stay you will feel the sting of "wow, I just paid how much to be treated this way?" We are easy going and not hard to please but truly have been treated better at a $79 Hampton inn then this place. A real shame.

• Stayed May 2010
7 Thank Gyherte
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed April 2, 2010

My sister and I stayed here and had a wonderful time.

• Stayed March 2009
Los Angeles
Reviewed April 1, 2010

First, the place is just so beautiful - cute little cottage-like structures surrounding a middle pool area - and oh, so quiet. We had a fantastic stay! We were in the Gecko cottage, which is a two bedroom with a kitchen. My only complaint is that one bedroom is huge, while the other is tiny - which makes it difficult when your party is two couples and you have to duke it out over who gets the larger room. But that is a minor problem in the grand scheme of things. Breakfast by the pool each morning was heavenly. So were the late night hot tub sessions (but be warned, the pool area closes at 10pm and they strictly enforce that). It rained much of the weekend we were there, but we didn't care. We often found ourselves sitting on our front porch area watching the rain and just taking in all of the nature and silence around us. The staff was super friendly and gave us some great recommendations on things to do in the area. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 26, 2010

I love this place - it's like a secret hideaway in a tropical forest. Very romantic and tranquil, although still in walking distance to 'downtown' ojai. It's also very near two trails - the Pratt Trail which winds through a canyon and follows a stream as it climbs into the foothills, and the Shelf Trail which is popular with locals for dog walking and has amazing views of the Ojai Valley. They don't have a restaurant, but do serve a really nice buffett breakfast out by the pool. We had a splendid time and would return at the drop of hat!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bdubois
carson,california
Reviewed March 6, 2010

This place is too cool. My wife and I prefer a Bed and Breakfast to Hotels and I am always on the look out for a unique B and B. Everything was great, from the tropical landscaping to the unique furnishings. I thought the rooms had been recently refurbished because everything looked so new. I was told that everything was original and they take pride in all of their rooms. My wife said she wanted to come back even before we were unpacked. They take pride in all their rooms and it shows. Its off the beaten path but within walking distance of downtown. I always check TripAdvisor before booking a room. It had great reviews but I was a little hesitant after reading one reviewers statements about racism. My wife and I are African American and I am happy to say the staff displayed no signs of this. I don’t remember the name of the person that checked us in but she was very helpful and offered to take pictures of my wife and I. The following morning I met Sherry. She works there in the mornings. Sherry was very nice and has a great personality. She even showed us some of the other rooms. I plan to return this summer for a golf weekend.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank claude j
los angeles
Reviewed February 3, 2010

Stayed for a weekend with 3 adult sibs and Mom for her 70th bday. It was absolutely lovely. May be the best location in Ojai --even better than the fancy spas. A quiet, clean, beautifully landscaped spot at the very end of a quiet street, at the north edge of town. Shady and green, with each little house or cottage having a sense of relative privacy. We stayed in Raven, a two bedroom cottage, each w/ it's own bathroom. Had a full kitchen -- you can bring all your own groceries and save $ on meals! Just be sure to bring pots/pans/dishes because they didn't offer much in that dept. Cons: The complimentary continental breakfast w/ "warm" muffins is really a table placed out in the morning cold, with saran-wrapped muffins and bagels. Not too bad (there was coffee, juice and fruit too), but not as fresh as we expected. Also, in-room massages were disappointing; turns out that the hotel's "own" spa menu is actually beholden to their being able to book-in one of the town's many masseuses. Two of us had "Kiki" who was great; two of us had really mediocre massages that felt like a real ripoff. We told the hotel, and they credited us 20%. Overall, a great spot though - feels like an exclusive B&B without the pretentiousness. I'd go back again!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family