“Decent for lunch - hit and miss.”
Review of Hip Vegan Cafe

Hip Vegan Cafe
Ranked #11 of 97 Restaurants in Ojai
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Let me start off by saying the waitstaff was VERY attentive and helpful. The woman working at the counter was just so friendly and pleasant to be around. A great asset for the restaurant.

My husband and I had the tempeh burger and Reuban wth seitan. Burger was average. Nothing fantastic. But the Reuben....WOW! One of the best vegan meals I've ever had.The seitan is thinly sliced and the dressing was delicious. I'm getting hungry just typing about it!

We also had the infamous date shake with cacao added, per suggestion, and maybe it was overhyped but we found it to be just average. It was very "banana-y" and we didn't taste must cacao or date in it. It might have just been the person making it that day.

The restaurant itself isn't much for ambiance, but for lunch, that didn't bother us. Overall, the reuben and the waitstaff would make us return again.

2  Thank Lisa W

Reviewed July 9, 2012

They make some great Soups and Unbelievable Desserts.

1  Thank renOC3000
Reviewed July 5, 2012

We had a really good lunch here. The food tasted really good, healthy, and fresh. And you must have the date shake -- amazing!!

1  Thank Lkup
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Good food, nice people but didn't seem very hip to me.

Reviewed June 21, 2012

We sought out this restaurant after reading great reviews on Tripadvisor. So glad we did! We spent an afternoon visiting Ojai from our base in Santa Barbara, we couldn't find Hip at first as it's way past all the shops on the main street. You have to walk a good 10 minutes or so and it's tucked away, although on the main road the entrance is actually behind the building but there is a sign outside inviting you in. At first I was a little unsure if I wanted to go back there for dinner. It's quite a basic looking place, and, not being vegetarian as such I wasn't sure what to expect. However my body was craving some 'clean' food as I felt like I'd been gorging on junk food during our trip so we decided to take a punt and book a table.

There's a cute little outside eating area and it has parking to the rear. We sat outside for dinner. I'm pleased to say the food was delicious. We had a fruit smoothie each which was divine and freshly made, a hummus platter, again all freshly homemade. I ordered a 'small' salad...let me tell you it wasn't small at all!! It had lots in it too, salad (obviously) beetroot, salad onions, tomatoes, cabbage, cucumber, a veggie nut pate (which was gorgeous) and you can order from 3 different types of dressing. It was so much food I couldn't finish it. The lady on another table was eating a large salad...it's enough to feed a small family (and I have a large appetite!). My husband ordered the special of the day which was a veggie moussaka and he loved it.

Don't be put off if you aren't a veggie, the food is full of flavour, really fresh and very filling, it's the perfect antidote to all the rich fast food on offer everywhere else!!

2  Thank TheHotelInspector73

Been to Hip Vegan Cafe? Share your experiences!