“So much potential so little consistency!”

Ojai Beverage Company
Ranked #5 of 97 Restaurants in Ojai
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I truly enjoy going to the OBC. You can buy a bottle of wine (or beer) from the liquor store and they'll pour it for you. The ambience is comfortable...BUT...the preparation of the food is so inconsistent that I think they have no recipes and a new cook every night.
The first time I ordered their "adult" Mac 'n cheese...it was perfect. 3 cheeses melted together with a crusty breadcrumb topping: ultimate comfort food. The next time, it was a notch down, but okay. This week it was horrendous! It was macaroni tossed with tons of bread crumbs and out-of-balanced cheese. There was 3 of us sharing it and none of us could tolerate it.
Another time we ordered spicy italian sausage link grilled and served with sun dried tomato, marinated artichoke heart, red bell peppers, fresh basil, garlic oil, and a pomegranate jalapeno & arbol chili sauce. It was fantastic! Spicy and lively. The next time we ordered the same thing and it was so hot (I think the cook used habenro instead of jalapeño) that not one person at the table could eat it. I usually order Blow Your Mind Chicken: Shredded all white meat chicken simmered in hot & tangy buffalo sauce, with crumbled bacon and gorgonzola cheese served on belgian endive for a crisp finish. It is fantastic! But, once in awhilenitbcan be so hot that it burns your mouth. Now I enjoy spicy food...many people can't handle as spicy as I can. With a little more attention to the kitchen, this place could soar.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

We didn't eat here but tried the wine tasting and beer tasting. The staff was very friendly and we enjoyed shopping at their great selection of wine and beer. I would like to go back and try the food.

Reviewed December 23, 2012

My wife and I love this place! The owner George is a very nice person and runs a great restaurant/bar/wine&beer store all in one. Great concept and we love it! It's a casual atmosphere with great service. George and his staff are always very welcoming and friendly. We love sitting at the bar and meeting all sorts of people, both locals, and people like us just visiting. We've met some great people at this place and had some really fun and interesting conversations, while enjoying great beers and wines, and some tasty food prepared by their chef, Angel. We especially recommend the chicken tortilla soup, and the soft and warm pretzel sticks. Both are delicious. The front of OBC is a store, and George has an excellent selection of wines and beers, and he's extremely knowledgeable in helping you pick out some great selections to take home. They also have a pet friendly outside patio for drinking/dining.

Overall, OBC is one of our favorite places in Ojai and highly recommend it!

Thanks George. Larry from Redondo Beach

2  Thank SoCalBeachDude
Reviewed December 21, 2012

I liked this place better when focus was towards wine. Still a nice place to relax and taste. They have a great retail selection.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

Extensive beer selection. Average food. Terrible seating. It is crowded and loud inside and the side room feels and looks like you are eating in a garage. The pricing is too high for the quality of seating and atmosphere you have to deal with.

Been to Ojai Beverage Company? Share your experiences!