“Wonderful place for lunch!”

Ojai Beverage Company
Ranked #5 of 98 Restaurants in Ojai
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed April 28, 2012

My wife and I stayed in Ojai for two nights - we love our food so I was careful to scope out the restaurant scene before our visit, earmarking a few of the best-reviewed places for potential visits. The Ojai Beverage Company was on my list as it sounded like a quirky, fun place to visit as well as offering reputedly excellent food. We were certainly not disappointed!

The entrance to the OBC is on the south side of E Ojai Ave, just a few blocks from Libbey Park. The concept is a kind of dual purpose shop and dining area - you enter through the shop where there's a huge range of bottled beer and wine available, and then there's a dining area and bar towards the rear. The dining is informal, with simple wooden tables and chairs, with printed menus and a chalkboard with 20 guest beers on tap. Alright! The meals are very affordable too, so eating here won't break the bank.

The food is fairly simple but we found it to be excellent - we got two or three smallish dishes and shared them tapas style: truffle fries, foccacia bread with olives, tomatoes and feta, flatbread with asparagus, goat cheese, pepper and mushroom. We had a beer each and our server was very knowledgeable about the range on offer, helping us to choose drinks that went well with our food and that weren't too heavy or high percentage alcohol (there are drinks other than beer available for diners, by the way). In fact our server, a young man who seemed to be serving at the bar and running the checkout in the store area as well as waiting tables in the restaurant, was super friendly and a credit to the OBC - he was calm and helpful despite seemingly having three jobs to do!

There's a really nice atmosphere here with friendly locals mixing with tourists, and the quality of the food and drink on offer meant that this was one of the unexpected foodie highlights of our trip. We will definitely be back on our next visit to Ojai. Best lunch in town!

Reviewed April 23, 2012

Hugh selection of wonderful wines and unique beers. The small restaurant in the back is a great place for an early evening glass of wine or beer.

Reviewed April 20, 2012

Do not miss this if you like beer, wine or excellent food. I was so surprised and would have not stopped had we not been told to make this a must on our list of places to go in Ojai. We used a two for one coupon (Hotel lobby coupon book) for beer tastings and we tried a lot of beers. What a deal. But the real big surprise was the excellent food. It took a while to be prepared but it was fresh and delicious. I recommend the Greek salad, and the club sandwich. The pulled pork sandwich would have been great but they must have run out of pork!

Reviewed April 15, 2012

My husband and I had a great time here. I tasted wine and he sampled over 15 beers. George was taking care of us and he was really informative and friendly. The fish tacos are AMAZING.

Reviewed April 14, 2012

What an amazing venue! One walks though a huge liquor display filled with a large variety of wines and other liquors. Then there's the beer selection! I've never seen so many varieties of beer, many of which can be ordered at the bar. They offer beer and wine tastings too and have a great small menu with excellent food. There is bar and table seating and then table seating in an add on area with lots of windows. This place hops during happy hour and weekends and can get noisy so pick you time according to what you are looking for. You will talk about this place for awhile, I assure you.