“Tamales are so good, I haven't tried anything else on their menu”

La Fuente Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #46 of 97 Restaurants in Ojai
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: La Fuente is a family operated restaurant that offers authentic Mexican food as mole,carnitas, menudo, posole and other daily specials.Other selections include tamales,chile rellenos,tacos burritos and traditional hand made tortillas.
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Hidden in the back corner of a strip mall,you will find some of the best tamales of Ventura County. My favorite is the green chile cheese, with light masa and plenty of filling. I get their tamales and hot sauce to go since there are only a couple of tables out front in the parking lot. Grab napkins and a fresh grilled pepper off their counter. You can buy tortillas so fresh you can watch them press the masa and grill them for you. Menu includes breakfast burritos, and numerous other choices, but the tamales are so good, I haven't tried anything else.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

We visited this restaurant as part of the Eating Ojai Tasting Tour with Allison Costa (I did post a review of the Tour too); we tasted two different tamales (cheese and pork) both delicious and fresh ; they owner was so nice to explain us about her tamales and other foods that make daily at her restaurant that after the tour was over we all came back and bought tamales to take home.
The tamales are huge and she explained us to use the steamer at home to make them taste as they tasted at the restaurant; keep in mind that these are the tamales that they sell at the Ojai Farmers Market on Sunday too and I'm so happy that I shared these with family and friends because they love them (I took home the pork, cheese and chicken) all amazing! I wil move to Ojai if I could and actually try to visit every couple of months but for some reason I never tried these tamales and now because of my family and our friends want more tamales I'll probably will visit more often.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

We were lucky we went to LA Fuente for dinner early. When we got there we saw that they close at 6:00 pm. I had a coupon from restaurant.com and did not know what to expect. There are no interior tables, only plastic tables outside. It is best to get it to go which worked out better for us. The chile rellenos were good but the tamales were better. We had the chicken tamales and they were very good.

Reviewed March 29, 2012

We followed a tip from our inn keeper that this is the best place to get authentic tamales. It was awesome. Tamales were tasty and their red sauce had wonderful flavor.