“peace, quiet and nature”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ojai
Pepper Tree Retreat
Ranked #5 of 9 Ojai B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Pepper Tree is an excellent place to go to slow down the pace of life and to "get away from it all". The location is wonderful - a bit outside of the town of Ojai but easily accessible. The grounds are lovely and there are no TVs in the rooms. Mine had a huge bathtub and a sunroom which had glorious view out of all of the windows. I went to a local gym on a day pass so I did get in some fitness, too. The staff is friendly and helpful and unbotrusive. I felt refreshed after my two night stay! I would highly recommend Pepper Tree if you are loooking for peace and quiet. Less than two hours from my home in Rancho Palos Verdes.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Pepper Tree Retreat

Reviewed August 1, 2012

A lovely, relaxing place. One is surrounded by towering trees and charming garden areas. In the stillness can gather one's thoughts. A most beautiful library.You can wander the grounds and sit to contemplate in many different areas. One can feel at peace.

Room Tip: The Lennon room -- feel like you are in the trees.....
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I agree with many of the reviews written here. It's a very peaceful, relaxing. The fact it was remote was a real plus for us. The staff was great - warm, welcoming, and informative. When you stay here, you're staying in a home, so it's not going to have many of the amenities you would have in a hotel or more conventional B&B. So if you go in with the right expectations, you'll be satisfied. We stay in the main house right off the lobby. It was a bit noisy during the day with folks coming and going – but not too bad. It was very quiet at night. In fact, it was fully occupied and we didn't see many people. I like having the living room and wonderful patio steps away. The bed was super comfortable, but pillows were a bit hard. Glad we brought our own (we usually do.) Breakfast was good – simple and healthy. Coffee and tea were available all the time. You don’t miss having TV, but thankfully they have internet. We loved walking in the groves, picking oranges and enjoying fruit the way it should taste. I’m giving it 4 dots/stars because of the location, staff and feeling. I’m not comparing it to the more plush digs you’ll find.

Room Tip: Avoid the room off the entrance if you want quite
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank YR-LGB
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Wonderful, welcoming people and beautiful, peaceful lodging...how could we want for more? It was relaxing perfection, and very conducive to creativity, which was exactly what I needed. I recommend this place to anyone wanting to absorb the spirit and tranquility of Ojai and nature. This retreat is worked into its surroundings instead of taking over. Enjoy!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 15, 2012

This has been two days of pure stress relief for me and my family. We have had such a wonderful and peaceful time away from the rigors of day to day life...Ojai town is also uniquely rich in culture and has a tremendous selection of culinary treats...my choice for a return trip as and when I can do so...thanks to the retreat team...Anat/Norma/ Micheal and others.

Room Tip: Low season time may be better...rooms with kitchen are really good!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Murali_Iyengar
Reviewed July 10, 2012

The Pepper Tree Retreat is located outside of the town of Ojai. No phones, no tvs, no distractions! The grounds are full of life and noises from nature. Close to areas to go for a hike or just stay at the retreat and meditate. A great place to get away from the world and focus on inner peace. While we only stayed 2 nights, we did enjoyed Meditation Mountain, hikes, shopping in Ojai and don't forget the farmers market if you are there on a Sunday. Be sure to stop by The Hip for very good vegitarian food, it's yummy!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank beetraveller40
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We traveled to Ojai for our anniversary and the Pepper Tree was the recommended place to stay. When we learned more about the Tree, Krishnamurti and the history of the place, it just made it even more rewarding. They have only recently began offering a Bed and Breakfast style service. Previously it was exclusively offered for extended and group retreats. There is a rich history of Artists, Writers and creative dignitaries having stayed here. They do also make an effort to keep the cleaning chemical smells to a minimum, which my wife really appreciated. The property has several small citrus groves, Guests are encouraged to eat the fruit right from the Trees!

Room Tip: We had the Lawrence room, Named for D.H. Lawrence who stayed here. It is actually a small bungalow o...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple