All reviewstile floorsstained glassin room jacuzzicomplimentary wine and snackspool was heatedmediterranean feelterra cottaspanish missionother hotels in the areathe main dragbike pathpleasant staybed was comfortableprivate patioarchesdiaperspluses
Reviewed February 11, 2011

Some negative reviews notwithstanding, we booked this inn for our wedding guests in January, 2010, and hand-picked the rooms we wanted. We established a good relationship with the manager, Sylvia, checked on the rooms, and told them exactly what we needed. The result was excellent - our guests from Virginia thoroughly enjoyed their stay.

The location of the Chantico makes it well worth any inconvenience you might encounter. From the inn you can stroll down to the Spanish-style arcade with its shops and restaurants, visit the Museum, and relax at the Ojai Roasting Co.

• Stayed: March 2010
Reviewed January 4, 2011

First I was promised a room when I made the reservation. Arrived to check in and the room was given away. The receptionist was courteous and gave me a discount for a different room. OMG the room had NO HOT WATER and the mirror was so scratched it looked like a 2 year old had cleaned it with a Brillo pad. I was upgraded to another room that was OK. Although the furniture was dingy and dirty and there was used empty packets of sugar for the coffee in the room. So I went for coffee in the lobby, what no cream just creamate how cheap are they? The place certainly needs new management and upgrading to make it have the charm that is possible with some work on the details.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank walkingfeather
Reviewed June 6, 2010

We booked this hotel because it was literally the last available room in town. We were were prepared for the worst because of the negative reviews, but we ended up being pleasantly surprised. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable and the staff was courteous and available. The room had everything we could've wanted...perhaps a little too much: fireplace, jacuzzi, sink, wetbar, flat screen tv on the wall...not one inch of space was wasted in that room, but we were extremely comfortable and the furniture gave it a bed and breakfast feel.

My only suggestion would be to book a room upstairs because the tile floors can be noisy in the morning with people wheeling suitcases around overhead. Breakfast was fruit and muffins served in the lobby which has a nice sitting room. We'll definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank smithster818
Reviewed May 28, 2010

My mother and young son and I spent 4 days in Ojai and are DELIGHTED with our choice to ignore old reviews and stay at Chantico Inn. The management must have read the reviews as well because we felt like were staying in a different hotel from what we had read about. Our rooms, rugs, towels, linens, beds and robes (plush ones provided by the hotel) were all immaculate. The decor was a wonderful mix of tasteful antique and clean remodeling. The pool and hot tub were pristine. We would stay here again in a heartbeat and we are very particular travelers. The location, too, could not have been better.
Ignore the reviews and stay here. The reviews will get up-to-date soon enough.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed December 31, 2009

There are ups, and there are downs. Let's start with the ups:
1. Feels like a bed and breakfast (this could be an up for you...not for us, it is advertised as a hotel and that is what I like).
2. Nice patio (although it is kind of open and public)
3. Good shades on windows for sleeping in
4. Nice flat screen tv, microwave, mini-frige, coffee pot, complementary glass of wine
5. Good location
6. Free wireless internet, but you have to ask for the network information to log in

Downs
1. Booking our stay and changing the dates was a major fiasco
2. The handicap spot with a sign and all "is left over from the previous owners and is no longer honored"....so there is no handicap parking
3. Missing a all light bulbs in the vanity area so we had to move a lamp so we could see to brush our teeth
4. The cleaning lady threw out a bucket of cleaning chemicals right under our car as we were unloading so we had to carry our luggage an extra 10 feet so it didn't get wet...my shoes still smell like cleaning chemicals two days after
5. The walls are paper thin
6. I'm 5'7" and the top of the mattress on the bed is at my rib cage, so you either have to be a good jumper/climber to get in bed or request a step stool to get into the bed (which may or may not get delivered)
7. The office closes at 10, so you better not need anything after then or arrive late
8. The rooms are very stale and seem to be furnished from a thrift shop/yard sale
9. I'm still confused why there is a jacuzzi tub in the middle of the room with 2 beds (seriously, it is in the middle of the room with no means of privacy), and just a regular shower in the room with one bed....is this a swingers joint?
10. No gym