“One of the worst motels I have ever stayed in”
Review of Motel 6 Oceanside

Motel 6 Oceanside
Ranked #22 of 27 Hotels in Oceanside
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I had to move my daughter from Utah to California because she had married a Marine stationed at Camp Pendleton. We had to meet him at this Motel 6 because their apartment wouldn't be ready until the next day.

We didn't arrive until almost midnight. From the outside it looks like your typical Motel 6, but once inside it was horrible. It was dirty, the beds were terrible, the sheets were dirty, and the blankets had holes in them. Because it is right next to the freeway, the road noise was very loud. I literally didn't sleep a wink all night! There were also a lot of questionable people hanging around in the parking lot. The person at the front desk was not helpful and very rude.

I stay in a lot of motels and hotels and usually I am very forgiving and tolerant. However, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone!!!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank SunDancer1

Reviewed May 16, 2012

The Motel 6 is located directly by the exit of Highway 76, so it is really easy to get to. The downside: It is very noisy, especially in the rooms facing the highway. My room was on the 3rd floor...kinda quiet..but it was very, very basic. Very little furniture, just the tv, plain walls, not a single decorative item...not even a picture. There was no coffee-maker, no hairdryer, not even soap in the bathroom. The room was just big enough for a solo traveller. If a couple were to stay there, it would get crowded. The room was very clean, though. The carpet had actually been steam-cleaned the day I checked in. Wireless internet was available at a charge of 2,99$ per day. Staff was very friendly. Various fast food restaurants are just across the street. So for a one-night stay this place is just fine.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank hallomainz
Reviewed May 2, 2012

Not just "often" but over many years. This property has its ups and downs but I believe is now on an "up." The staff were uniformly friendly, and the property seemed safer than it had in the past. The location is terrific, just off Hwy 78 and easily seen from the road, though this means extra room noise. The price is fine for the area, and there is coffee (nothing else) in the lobby from 7 AM. Easy walking distance to fast food, and no more than five minutes' drive to lots and lots of shops. Typical Motel 6.

Here are some things I didn't like too much: most places now have free WiFi, but Motel 6 still charges $2.99 a day. The bandwidth is limited and when things get too congested, the signal drops, after which you lose your website and are redirected to Motel 6 home page. What's up with that? Cheaper motels than this offer free WiFi, also considering that this "no frills" chain doesn't have things like shampoo available. Water in the bathroom tap came out in a needle spray so restricted that it is actually hard to wash hands. The shower however was "OK."

I will keep staying there as long as they stay open and don't start raising prices too much. It's really a decent value.

Room Tip: To minimize noise, try for the corridor linking the one side facing the surface road and the other...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 7, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed in Oceanside for 2 days at the Motel 6, and we had a terrible stay. This hotel was inhabited by shady, noisy residents who had decided to live there. I actually got scammed into giving someone money at a gas station, just to find them staying down the street at our hotel! The walls were thin and we were kept up all night by the noise. The shower was awkward, the toilet seat was peeling, and the doors would not close without slamming them. The hotel is at a convenient location, it does have laundry facilities which came in handy on our trip, and it is pet-friendly. My girlfriend used to live in the area, and she recommends the Motel 6 in downtown Carlsbad if you want a good deal.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Matt O
Reviewed October 25, 2011

It is pretty much a standard Motel 6, no frills but really close to the beach. The price was right, it met our needs which was a place to sleep and do laundry. The rooms are clean including the bathroom. Check in was easy in and out. There are a lot of military/ military family there, so it feels pretty safe. Pretty quiet, we were on the third floor but when you closed the window it did block all outside noise. Close to the freeway if all you require is a safe quiet clean place to sleep this fits the bill. I don't think I would plan a vacation stay here, but it is good for a weary driver.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 15, 2011

I stayed with my family for a quick beach trip. The room was very clean and when we needed extra towels the hotel was very accommodating. The pool was very clean. The location is terrific if you are unfamiliar with the area. Easy on and off the freeway with lots of local dining so you don't have to travel far. Best plus was the room was extremely affordable for a family.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 30, 2011

pros:
friendly staff
walking distance to many restaurants and stores exmpl. Wendy's,Starbucks,7 Eleven,ect.
plenty of places for dog to go do his bathroom duties
I could hook up my DVD player and Xbox 360 for some other entertainment besides flipping channels for something to see on TV besides reruns and idiotic reality shows.

cons:
having the both of us show IDs? what is up with that? and then photo copying it?
security around the place,its a good thing but,then police circling the place like sharks as well.
$60 was not a bad price,but also having to pay for internet too and it was not that great.
little league team kids running up and down breeze way making too much noise.

would I stay here again? only on the weekdays when its cheaper,this place definately is NOT worth 99 dollars a night,not by a long shot.
did I feel safe staying here? yes
would I be leaving anything of valuable laying around in sight? NO!!! (common sense)

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple