“DO NOT STAY HERE. DISGUSTING. HAD TO LEAVE” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Extended Stay America - San Diego - Oceanside

Extended Stay America - San Diego - Oceanside
Ranked #18 of 27 Hotels in Oceanside
Frisco, Texas
“DO NOT STAY HERE. DISGUSTING. HAD TO LEAVE”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

Originally booked for 6 nights. The girl at the front desk wasn't so nice. As soon as we got off the elevator to our floor we noticed many, big, black marks on the floor, about 10" in diamater, like paint or ink. Disgusting and dirty.
We get into our room and start putting things away and my daughter notices blood on the bedspread. About 15 drops of fresh blood. I travel enough to know one of the signs of bedbugs is blood spots on the sheets but what was this??? Went to the not so friendly girl at the front desk and told her about the blood and how we weren't expecting the hallway to be so dirty.
Her response was to send up a new bedspread. Since we checked in late a night, we had to stay that night but I asked to cancel the other 5 nights.
She offered to refund us for all 6 nights due to the problems. Just checked the visa bill. I was still charged $73.00 FOR WHAT?? REALLY??? WOW!!!
Can you imagine having to sleep there under these conditions? YUCK.
I didn't take the time to check reviews of this hotel as I usually do because I was helping my daughter move from one apartment to another.
I will ALWAYS check reviews before I book from now on.
This honestly was the worst place I have ever booked.
I travel quite a bit.
Don't even try it.

Room Tip: Don't book there!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank marie g
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Oceanside, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Marie - Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel. Given our company's commitment to superior guest satisfaction, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. Please understand how truly sorry I am.

Our housekeeping staff strives to provide clean rooms to all of our guests. To do this, they clean rooms every 7-days during a guests stay, and more often upon request for a minimal fee, as well as once a guest checks out. From there, the Manager inspects each room ensuring it is ready for a guest to move into. I am very sorry if you did not find the hallways or linens met your expectations. Please know I am working with our staff to ensure this does not happen again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
York, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

This hotel is really cheap. On some dates it's cheaper than the Motel 6 by Palomar road close by.

Stayed here for 3 months on business. I was lucky to get a room which didn't smell or have insects. One of my partners however had cockroaches and spiders in his room, and when my father visited his room smelled of dog real bad.

Walls and floors are paper thin. So noisy people in rooms nearby can be a nuisance. I had someone who stomped on the floor for a couple weeks above me, fortunately one day he left.

The kitchen's pretty underequipped for anything but one or two people at most living mostly on microwave food.

One good point is the staff, although front desk operates only from 7am to 11pm all of the front desk girls were very friendly and helpful, as well as the housekeepers.

All in all I got used to it (including the funny people - I must say they all turned out to be harmless, and I never came across any episodes of police being called in or anything) but it can be a nasty experience based on how lucky you are. There are acceptable rooms so make sure to request to be changed (second or third floor rooms seem to be better, you don't seem to get as much dog smell and you definitely don't have to put up with people walking by your window) if you wind up in one of the (many) unacceptable rooms.

In this case, you do get what you pay for, and everything's stated up front, no funny surprises.

Room Tip: Don't get rooms on the ground floor. Do ask to be changed if your room smells or is dirty. There...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Oceanside, responded to this review, September 4, 2012

As well, I am sorry you were disturbed by outside noises. Our hotel is built to ensure you are not affected by these types of disturbances; however, sometimes guests can get a little out of hand. We work hard to keep this from happening and will continue to do so for future guests.

Travelers are raving about these Oceanside hotels

Camp Pendleton, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

I have been staying here for about a week now, and am not impressed with this hotel at all. The outside of the place is misleading...it looks nice on the outside, but the inside is a totally different story. The halls smell so bad, like animal pee. Avoid room 109,as it smells HORRIBLE!!!!!! The moment you walk into that room, you are overwhelmed with the strong smell of dog pee, and mildew!!! The carpet is wet by the a/c, so obviously there is a leak, and has been for sometime, you can smell the mold/mildew! Dont know how they are even able to rent out that room! Its that BAD!

We are currently in a different room, and it is supposedly a queen suite...wrong! That bed is no bigger than a full. It is super uncomfortable, pillows are poor, blankets dingy!

Because we are having to stay for a period of time, we needed a place with a kitchenette. What a joke this kitchenette is! 2 burners, 1 pot, 1 pan, 2 plates, 2 bowls, some silverware, and 1 spatula. Not even plastic spoons for cooking. No small thing of dish soap. There was 1 roll of toilet paper on the holder, no extra roll, not even a plastic cup in the bathroom, no extra soap, no little bottles of shampoo, NOTHING! Thank God that I brought extras of those things.

The tv is CRAP! There are something like 20 channels, and unless you like watching nothing but the news, then you are pretty much out of options. They have 1 cartoon channel for kids.

The stairwells SMELL HORRIBLE!!! I understand that people stay there with their animals, and do have accidents, but dont you think that the hotel would invest in shampooing those carpet areas regularly? There is no way that they have been clean in a long time!

The only reason that I am continuing to stay is because of the online price that I was able to get. I cant beat it. So, I just suck it up, and deal with it, until I am able to check out of there and move.

The laundry room is ridiculous as well. $2 to wash a load of clothes, and then another $2 to dry them? Crazy!

Because of the experience that I am having with this hotel, I doubt that I would ever stay here again! Motel 6 looks a lot nicer now!!

Room Tip: STAY AWAY FROM ROOM 109!!! Unless you like the smell of mold/mildew and dog urine! It is really THAT...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank USMCWIFE1029
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Oceanside, responded to this review, August 22, 2012

The experience you described is truly regrettable. We strive to ensure that our guests have an exceptional stay by providing friendly service, a clean room as well as comfortable surroundings. It seems that we have failed in doing this for you. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have brought each of the issues you expressed to the attention of our staff.

Although it is unusual for a guest to have the experience you did while staying with us, we would like to use your account to help us make our hotel even better. Again, I am deeply sorry that you did not have a completely enjoyable stay at our hotel, and I promise that we are focused on total guest satisfaction every day. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me at this hotel or to our guest relations team directly by visiting our website and clicking the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. I do hope that you will let me demonstrate our redoubled efforts in the future here or at any of our other locations throughout the U.S. and in Canada.
Bakersfield, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

This has been the worst hotel I have ever stayed at during my life. Even Motel 6 is better than this. The location is the only nice thing about the hotel, outside of that buyer beware.

The front desk is staffed by one person only for part of the day. There is nobody at the front desk after 11:00pm. If you need something after that time, you are on your own. There is no daily room service on your unit.

The room itself was clean, although definitely older and run down. It did have a flat screen TV with several HD channels available. It is a good thing, because getting any sleep was a challenge. The beds were awful, I am sure they paid extra to have the beds make noise when one turns. Not only are the beds hard, but who knows what material they are made out of, that when you move they make very loud noises to the point that the other person wakes up.

We booked this room for the kitchen. Well, we got a kitchen all right. A stove and a refrigerator. Two plates, one coffee cup, and one fork. No other utensils, no pots or pans, no condiments, no dishwashing soap.

When I walked through the halls, there were a couple of items one could not miss. One was the old, dirty, and smelly carpet and the other was the strange people that stay in this place. I am pretty easy going, but in this case I felt a little uneasy. A lot of the people seemed to be either high, or recovering from some sort of illness. It felt as if this place was a recovering facility. People drunk or high in the hallways at different times of the day, tattoos, and overall weird.

I absolutely do not recommend this hotel. I would like to say that I did not pay a lot of money, but frankly I feel cheated for what I paid. This was my first time staying at Extended Stay, and after this experience I will never stay at any of the Extended Stay properties.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank msmxtoo
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Oceanside, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience at Extended Stay America San Diego - Oceanside. We understand that you have many lodging options, so we strive to set ourselves apart from the competition by offering clean, comfortable suites at an affordable price. We apologize that your experience was not an anjoyable one. We know that a comfortable bed is our guest's most valued amenity, which is why we poll our guests on their satisfaction with our bedding. Although our company regularly invests in bedding upgrades, including pillow top mattresses, we need to keep getting feedback like yours in order to steer us in the right direction. I assure you that all Extended Stay Hotels will continue to invest in our guest's comfort. Again, I apologize and promise you that we are committed to your total satisfaction. If there is anything you would like to discuss further with me or our guest relations team, please don't hesitate to contact us. I do hope you will give us the honor of having you as a guest again if future travels will bring you into our area.
Yuma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

Nice gold course view. We stayed last minute and got one of the last available room, rooms are older and dated but rooms have flat screen TV's. The staff and management was very helpful on every level.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Oceanside, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Thank you so very much for your glowing review of Extended Stay America San Diego - Oceanside. Whenever I read comments like yours it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. We know that our largest asset is our loyal base of customers like you, which is why we are so firmly committed to your satisfaction. We know you have many lodging options in the area, which is why providing you and every guest with professional, friendly service is our priority. Please know that we would be thrilled to have you again as our guest should your travel needs bring you back to our area. Once again, thanks for all of your very kind words.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2012

I didn't expect that this hotel will be so nice. The front desk is so helpful. The kitchenette in each room is a big plus. I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank VernaZ
Thank you so very much for your glowing review of Extended Stay America San Diego - Oceanside. Whenever I read comments like yours it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. Please know that we would be thrilled to have you again as our guest should your travel needs bring you back to our area. Once again, thanks for all of your very kind words.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2012 via mobile

Clean, best service, at a reasonable price. I love the way they changed the logo- very catchy.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Jopet68
I would like to personally thank you for taking time out to write such wonderful things about your experience at Extended Stay America San Diego - Oceanside. Our hotel is totally committed to the satisfaction of every guest who walks through our doors, which is why it is so rewarding to get feedback like yours; it tells us that we are delivering on that commitment. We strive to provide a "home away from home" experience for all of our guests, no matter if they are staying for a night, a week, or a month. It sounds like we were able to do just that for you, and we are truly honored for your recognition. Once again, I and the entire staff at our hotel thank you for your very kind words, and we'd love to see you here again. Please don't hesitate to call on me for your future stays here or at any other Extended Stay Hotels(sm) location.