“Motel 6 gone bad”

Ranked #17 of 27 Hotels in Oceanside
Bakersfield, California
“Motel 6 gone bad”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

This has been the worst hotel I have ever stayed at during my life. Even Motel 6 is better than this. The location is the only nice thing about the hotel, outside of that buyer beware.

The front desk is staffed by one person only for part of the day. There is nobody at the front desk after 11:00pm. If you need something after that time, you are on your own. There is no daily room service on your unit.

The room itself was clean, although definitely older and run down. It did have a flat screen TV with several HD channels available. It is a good thing, because getting any sleep was a challenge. The beds were awful, I am sure they paid extra to have the beds make noise when one turns. Not only are the beds hard, but who knows what material they are made out of, that when you move they make very loud noises to the point that the other person wakes up.

We booked this room for the kitchen. Well, we got a kitchen all right. A stove and a refrigerator. Two plates, one coffee cup, and one fork. No other utensils, no pots or pans, no condiments, no dishwashing soap.

When I walked through the halls, there were a couple of items one could not miss. One was the old, dirty, and smelly carpet and the other was the strange people that stay in this place. I am pretty easy going, but in this case I felt a little uneasy. A lot of the people seemed to be either high, or recovering from some sort of illness. It felt as if this place was a recovering facility. People drunk or high in the hallways at different times of the day, tattoos, and overall weird.

I absolutely do not recommend this hotel. I would like to say that I did not pay a lot of money, but frankly I feel cheated for what I paid. This was my first time staying at Extended Stay, and after this experience I will never stay at any of the Extended Stay properties.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank msmxtoo
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Oceanside, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience at Extended Stay America San Diego - Oceanside. We understand that you have many lodging options, so we strive to set ourselves apart from the competition by offering clean, comfortable suites at an affordable price. We apologize that your experience was not an anjoyable one. We know that a comfortable bed is our guest's most valued amenity, which is why we poll our guests on their satisfaction with our bedding. Although our company regularly invests in bedding upgrades, including pillow top mattresses, we need to keep getting feedback like yours in order to steer us in the right direction. I assure you that all Extended Stay Hotels will continue to invest in our guest's comfort. Again, I apologize and promise you that we are committed to your total satisfaction. If there is anything you would like to discuss further with me or our guest relations team, please don't hesitate to contact us. I do hope you will give us the honor of having you as a guest again if future travels will bring you into our area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Yuma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

Nice gold course view. We stayed last minute and got one of the last available room, rooms are older and dated but rooms have flat screen TV's. The staff and management was very helpful on every level.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Oceanside, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Thank you so very much for your glowing review of Extended Stay America San Diego - Oceanside. Whenever I read comments like yours it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. We know that our largest asset is our loyal base of customers like you, which is why we are so firmly committed to your satisfaction. We know you have many lodging options in the area, which is why providing you and every guest with professional, friendly service is our priority. Please know that we would be thrilled to have you again as our guest should your travel needs bring you back to our area. Once again, thanks for all of your very kind words.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2012

I didn't expect that this hotel will be so nice. The front desk is so helpful. The kitchenette in each room is a big plus. I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank VernaZ
Thank you so very much for your glowing review of Extended Stay America San Diego - Oceanside. Whenever I read comments like yours it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. Please know that we would be thrilled to have you again as our guest should your travel needs bring you back to our area. Once again, thanks for all of your very kind words.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2012 via mobile

Clean, best service, at a reasonable price. I love the way they changed the logo- very catchy.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Jopet68
I would like to personally thank you for taking time out to write such wonderful things about your experience at Extended Stay America San Diego - Oceanside. Our hotel is totally committed to the satisfaction of every guest who walks through our doors, which is why it is so rewarding to get feedback like yours; it tells us that we are delivering on that commitment. We strive to provide a "home away from home" experience for all of our guests, no matter if they are staying for a night, a week, or a month. It sounds like we were able to do just that for you, and we are truly honored for your recognition. Once again, I and the entire staff at our hotel thank you for your very kind words, and we'd love to see you here again. Please don't hesitate to call on me for your future stays here or at any other Extended Stay Hotels(sm) location.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2012

• Stayed May 2012
Willemstad, Curacao
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2012

The concept of the Extended is very nice. Especially when you stay for a longer period it is nice to have a small studio with appliances.
The irritating starts when entering the premises, you struggle with your suitcases and try to enter through heavy doors. Thew check-in lady was nog really friendly, she was on the telephone and appeared rather irritated to be disturbed.
The floors in the hallway are dirty, the room/bathroom were not clean. Pillows are rather old fashioned feather like with little things sticking in your face.
This hotel definitely needs an upgrade, friendlier staff and certainly a better cleaning staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the golf side. Less noisy.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank yvonne w
Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience at Extended Stay America San Diego - Oceanside. It is with great pride that we provide clean, comfortable rooms at affordable rates, which is why it was great to read your kind words about the room. However, given the issues you had during your stay, it was with equally great concern that I read the rest of your account. You have the apologies of my entire staff that we were not able to totally satisfy you. Please understand that maintain strict quality control standards, which demand that every room is inspected prior to making it available to our guests. Clearly there was a failure in our system during your stay. In response to your comments, I’ve personally met with all of our staff and used your review to demonstrate in which specific areas we can improve. Let me assure you that your experience is certainly not typical, and that we have put in place measures to ensure that the type of stay you had won't be repeated. Again, I apologize and promise you that we are committed to your total satisfaction. If there is anything you would like to discuss further with me or our guest relations team, please don't hesitate to contact us by visiting our website and clicking on the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. I do hope you will give us the honor of having you as a guest again if future travels will bring you into our area.
wahington dc
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2012

checked in
1st room was a bit run down and not that clean.
2nd room was better, but bathroom an floor and kitchen counter dirty
cleaned myself
u got to beg for towels everyday since they don't clean rooms ever day.
if u ask for some cleaner for your room
some will give it to u and others comp an attitude like what for u don't clean ever day so who else is going to clean my room.

next thing
its right next to a golf course so u will find golf balls hits all over your car, i didn't notice until i found one still on the hood where it must have bounced off the wind shield because u could see the imprint of small balls all over the wind shield like it wasn't on accident .

so watch out
you might have a cracked windshield when you leave here.

Room Tip: watch out for the golf balls
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
I recently received a copy of your review of the Extended Stay America San Diego - Oceanside. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies. As this hotel’s manager, I challenge our staff to continually improve the experience of our guests, from the cleanliness of our rooms, to the courteous professionalism of our staff. Unfortunately, in your situation, it is clear that we were unsuccessful in achieving these goals. Given our belief that guests like you are our most valuable asset, this failure is particularly troubling. Your review has caused us to take a serious look at the systems we have in place to handle our day to day operations and we will be making modifications as appropriate. It's not common that we get the sort of feedback you provided, and although it is discouraging to read, it will help us make our hotel even better in the future. Let me apologize again that your stay was not completely satisfying, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one or directly (please visit our website and click the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page). I hope we have addressed your concern satisfactorily, and that you would give us the pleasure of having you as a guest again at this hotel or any other Extended Stay Hotels(sm) brand location in the future.

Travelers are raving about these Oceanside hotels