Quality Inn & Suites Oceanside Near Camp Pendleton
Ranked #21 of 27 Hotels in Oceanside
Reviewed July 7, 2011

We stayed here a few days before the 4th of July 2011 on a trip to visit my son in the Marines. I read the reviews beforehand and was a little nervous. But all-in-all our stay was pretty good. The room did smell a little musty, but we weren't in the room much. Once you were in there and was used to it...you didn't smell it anymore. The breakfast was great...the pancake maker was cool!!! We had a suite...an actual bedroom with two queen beds and a little living room with its own t.v. and little couch that pulled out into a bed. Parking was not a problem for because it didn't seem too crowded!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank kerrib80
CRPatel, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Oceanside Near Camp Pendleton, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2014

Thank you for your response. Your feed back is very important to us to improve in our day to day operation.

Reviewed June 22, 2011

Wifi is super slow! So if you need to access your computer...you are out of luck! Noisy location, next to freeway, did not feel safe, room smells like mouldy wetness, T.V was old school, frig barely works.
Honestly, Don't stay here...! Extended stay off Carlsbad Village is 10 x's better and cost is cheaper!!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank CarlsbadCA70

Reviewed May 25, 2011

The people were great but the place is kind of old. My room had a slight moldy smell to it. When I turned on the AC it really had a moldy smell to it. I stayed for 4 days and then I moved to another holiday inn express. I felt that if I complained I'd probably would just get another
smelly room.

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank Yesenodf

Reviewed April 24, 2011

The lower level room we stayed in was spacious and then some. The room had a desk and a large area for a table for eating --which was good since the breakfast room was very full in the morning and we chose to eat in our room. We noticed that the upper floor rooms had balconies, but that took away from interior space. The pool was tiny only going to four feet and cold --bummer for the kids, but legoland was our main purpose. The service was a bit understaffed (front desk did everything from delivering towels to checking us in), but they were friendly all the same. the location is right on the freeway, but noise was not an issue for our room --though some rooms have exterior doors, so I wouldn't recommend those. But the location offered several close restaurants. We liked sushi 21 around the corner (not walkable). Excellent value for our family stay.

Room Tip: west building bottom floor
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed January 25, 2011

This is a good value for the money. I had a double queen room with a micro/fridge combo. The room was larger than many "suite" based rooms. There is some road noise, The manual climate control is noisy and difficult to moderate temperature. The breakfast was OK. The front desk personnel were nice. Beds were OK, lumpy pillows. This appears to be an older property that has received some updating, but is not at the same level as other H.I.E, some which can rival Fairfield Inns. They are short on parking spaces. All in all, it was a good property.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed January 12, 2011

Paint chipped and gone from room door and 2 room suite was setup badly with a full size Frig sitting in the (almost) middle of the front room, with no kitchenette...just the fridge and a small microwave??? Bed was old but passable and B-Fast had no Gravy for biscuits (HIX usually has great biscuits and Gravy). This is in NO WAY close to the beach and you will need a car to go anywhere besides an over priced Hooters across the street. I am Platinum member and I would not recommend this HIX for anything over $75.00, pay another $35.00 and stay in Carlsbad.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed October 15, 2010

Here is a list of the problems we had at this hotel (we stayed there on 10/14/10):

1. Our room was dirty. I found two curly hairs on top of the bedspread and one large hair inside the sheets. The shower also had a few red spots on the curtain, which I believe were blood.

2. We could not sleep. We were startled awake at 4:30am to screeching pipes inside the wall. The screeching lasted for about 45 minutes. The temperature control was also insane. The room was either extremely hot or extremely cold. The air conditioning unit did not shut off automatically when the room cooled down so I had to manually control the temperature. This meant that I had to wake up every hour to blast the A/C or turn the A/C off (depending on whether the room was hot or cold). We barely got any sleep and were up for good as of 7:00am because we could hear all the activity of the other rooms through the hotel's paper-thin walls.

3. Our room was dark and old. The staff said that it had been "recently renovated" but I should have known better when they wouldn't tell me when the renovations took place. The only thing in the room that looked even remotely new was the TV (get it - remote?). Seriously though, the room did not look like it had been renovated. It was also dark (the carpets were dark brown, the windows were small, and there weren't enough lights).

3. Our bed was uncomfortable. The mattress bowed in the middle so we were on a slant, trying not to slide down to the middle of the bed. The pillows were lumpy puffs of cotton that hurt my neck.

5. Our keycard did not work. We had to go to the front desk EVERY TIME we wanted to get inside of our room because the keycard didn't never worked properly. When I say never, I mean NEVER. We had to treck across the hotel on six separate occasions for them to re-activate our keycard!

6. The continental breakfast was bad. The cinnamon rolls were okay but the sausage was horrible and my wife found a black hair in her water cup.

7. The manager (Mike P.) was a complete jerk. I spoke to him about the problems with our room and he was not very sympathetic. He ultimately agreed to give me a discount on the room but when I got home I saw that my credit/debit card had been charged 4 TIMES the amount I agreed to pay. I called him about it and he was extremely aggressive and rude. He interrupted me numerous times and would not let me talk. Basically the hotel charged me hundreds of dollars as a deposit but didn't make it clear to me that the money would be charged to my card. I have to wait until after the weekend to get the money back (which was taken directly out of my checking account)!

We were supposed to stay at this hotel for 2 nights but came home after only 1 because it was so bad. The only good thing about this place is that the lobby staff is very nice. Nicolette and Stephany were especially helpful and courteous.

One final note: Another reviewer on this site wrote that he walked to the beach from this hotel. I think he may have confused this hotel with the Marina Holiday Inn (also in Oceanside) because the Holiday Inn Express that we stayed at is about two miles from the beach. It would be a dangerous one hour trek to get to the beach from this hotel (and you would have to traverse two highways in the process).

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple