“Cleanliness should be top priority for a hotel (Marriott)”

Residence Inn San Diego Oceanside
Ranked #9 of 27 Hotels in Oceanside
GreenLeadersBronze level
Plantation, Florida
“Cleanliness should be top priority for a hotel (Marriott)”
Reviewed October 3, 2011

I was booked at this hotel for a one night business trip. Upon check-in by Dee, I was welcomed as a Marriott Elite client and thanked for my patronage. Dee (front desk associate) offered a high floor room as requested and invited me to a BBQ/Drink gathering from 1700-1900. I thanked her and made my way up the elevator to the 4th floor (room 420). Upon entering the room all seemed fine and clean, but upon closer inspection, I noticed popcorn kernels between the baseboard and carpet, a baby pacifier behind the couch, urine and hair on the commode as well as hair in the sink and tub. There were cookie crumbs under the desk(the room had not been vacuumed) I called Dee at the front desk and asked for the hotel manager, but was told that he was not available. I decided to head back downstairs and ask for another room.

Upon explaining to Dee the cleanliness issues (showed her photos on my digital camera) she offered to provide a different room. I thanked her and headed up to room 410. Upon entering the room, again it looked clean, but closer inspection showed hair under the bath mat draped over the tub, hair in the tub as well as the top of the tub near the wall, dust and dirt along the kitchen baseboards as well as rings from sweating drink glasses on the top of the kitchen counter and wood table in the living area.

I opted to head back downstairs and told Dee about the situation and asked her to kindly check me out without charge as I wished to stay at a competing hotel in Carlsbad. Dee said she understood and was talking to the Housekeeping Manager about the situation. Apparently the housekeeper on the 4th floor was new and Dee offered to provide a room on the 3rd floor. I thanked her again and asked her to please check me out as I was not happy with the two rooms I had seen and the lack of cleanliness provided by the housekeeper. Dee did just that and said she would notify the hotel manager as well.

While I cannot fault Dee (she was a great front desk associate and truly understood my concerns) I would expect that the housekeeper would keep the rooms as tidy and clean as possible. I know that you cannot expect a hotel room to be sparkling and immaculate as you would find in your own home, I did find the hotel room in Carlsbad to be much cleaner that this hotel. What can I say? I guess I like a clean room.

Room Tip: Check the commode and tub for cleanliness. Inquire about BBQ/Drinks with the Manager int he pool ar...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Peyton B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Elmore, OH
Reviewed September 14, 2011

We had never stayed at a Residence Inn before and we booked this as part of a wedding group. It was really perfect in that it is clean, with a full kitchen, flat screen TV and nice two-part bathroom. No need to ask for ice as your refrigerator has an ice maker built in. The only downside was noise from the room above us. However, that was not annoying and besides a very nice room with living area, they also offer a full breakfast each morning from 7-10AM if you are in a hurry and don't want to make your own. Right across the free parking lot are a number of new restaurants for lunches and dinners including a sports bar. The area appears new but it's close to expressways and shopping once you learn the main roads. I would highly recommend this hotel for a longer stay when you want to save money by making your own meals. They will even shop for groceries for you if you give them a list. This is no extra charge except for the food itself. They have computers available and free WiFi. Staff is pleasant and helpful and gave us maps of the area. There is also a nice pool and gym. Perfect for families.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank OHgram
Tucson, AZ
Reviewed September 12, 2011

My family came with me on a job interview in Vista. Because of a convention, we had to stay in Oceanside. We liked the location. I drove to Vista in about 15 minutes. Easy to get on the expressway. It was also easy to get into the town of Oceanside. With GPS, everything was easily accessible. The hotel is new, so obviously Uber-clean. People were extremely helpful.

Room Tip: If you need ice - talk to the servers / breakfast staff. They put ice-to-go in our cooler for the b...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 4, 2011

The hotel is in a horrible location as it has not been developed and is miles from the shore (unlike it is advertised). The grounds and building are well kept - in a brand new type feel. The staff is very accommodating and friendly.

Check-in was smooth. The breakfast has different elements every day, so it doesn't get as boring as quickly as same same every day. The evening "happy hours" or "hospitality time" are good (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday; 5:30-7:00pm). These evening events include heavy hors d'oeuvres (didn't need dinner after) with beer and wine.

The grounds include pool, hot tub, basketball/tennis court and a excellent patio featuring a large gas grill with wet bar (and mini-fridge) as well as a nice fire pit. The people staying at the hotel are wonderful and friendly, often congregating every evening at the fire pit. Very relaxing evenings are had in this environment.

Would recommend this hotel to anyone on business travel in the area or on leisure. There are plenty of things to do within a drive (and you'll have a car in North County anyway).

The only complaint is the lack of thorough check-out. As written in other reviews the email receipt process didn't work for me the first time. I had to call back to ensure my email address was correct on file - then I received the receipt. One item I noticed is the housekeeping staff made late cleanings to the room often, and infrequently changed the bed linens (not terrible, but something that could be improved).

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank gilkesjm
RIOceansideManager, Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Oceanside, responded to this review, August 22, 2011
Gilkesjm-

Thank you very much for your response. At Marriott it is our goal to meet and exceed our customer’s expectations and I am glad you were able to enjoy your stay. You are right; we are located in a new district of Oceanside that is still developing. Next time, please do not hesitate to use our complimentary shuttle service that runs anywhere within 5 miles of the hotel. Thank you again for your comments and suggestions. Your input is extremely important as we continually work to improve our property.

Thanks again, and if there is ever anything we can do for you please do not hesitate to ask.

See you next time,

Ben Risseeuw
Rohnert Park, California
Reviewed August 4, 2011

I stayed here for only one night on a business trip and I could not have been happier. I would have loved to have a much longer stay. There was tennis, basketball, and an incredible breakfast with biscuits and gravy. Even though the breakfast area was very crowded and busy, they stayed on top of the food. The room was large with plenty of space to spread out and relax or get work done. The beds were very comfortable and the shower was nice. The room was clean and everybody was helpful and friendly.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank kingswin
Kingswin-

Thank you for your Response!!! Please let us know if there is anyone we can talk with to extend your next visit to Oceanside. I think we can appreciate a little more time in Southern California. Thank you again for your response, and Thank you for choosing Marriott!!

See you next time,

Ben Risseeuw
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We went up to see our Navy Corpsman son graduate from Field Medical Training Battlion school at Camp Pendelton. We had Marriot's points to use and found the Residence Inn, Oceanside CA.
What a great place. It is pretty new, very clean and very nicely appointed. The staff was great, we were greeted by Roman, who was very pleasant and efficient and even up-graded us to a two bedroom suite. The suite was beautiful, clean and very comfortable. The kitchenette was new, with stainless appliances and granite counters. Very updated and nice.
There was a basketball court, a pool and even a fire pit outside. Some evenings there are manager's receptions with food and beer or wine.
I can't say enough about how pleasant our stay was. The hotel was about 15 minutes from Camp Pendelton, not far off of Route 5. There were a couple of good eating places just across the parking lot.
The free breakfast was very adequate. One of the staff even made some scrambled eggs plain for my husband, on the morning they were made with sausage mixed in.
I would highly recommend. And I also commend the staff, they were great.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed May 31, 2011

Several staff members were polite and helpful. We will be returning for more beach fun.

• Stayed May 2011