“Unbeatable experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Ruby's Diner

Ruby's Diner
Ranked #10 of 385 Restaurants in Oceanside
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Dining on a budget, Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children, Scenic view, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Groveland, Illinois
“Unbeatable experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

We went there for the view but went back again for the food and atmosphere. The staff were incredibly friendly and attentive and we had quick service. They even offered to take pictures of our group of five for us. This is a 50's diner with the accompanying ambiance. I would also say that they had the best chili cheese fries I have ever tasted--instead of beans, it had roast beef. Wow. The 50-50 orange juice/milk shake was delicious as well. This is the one place I will be sure to return to when I visit Oceanside again!

• Visited February 2013

• Polish first
Danville, Virginia, United States
“Fun Atmosphere!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

We ate here on our last day in Occeanside. It was so cold outside that there was ice on the pier. The diner itself felt like it had little or no heat. Many of the staff members kept there coats on as they worked. Our little waitress was the cutest thing! Very friendly and attentive! The food was delicious and plenty of it. I ordered a hot chocolate and was delighted by the sight of it topped with whipped cream! It deserved a picture so I took one of itvand our waitress. I would post them but the pix are not on this device. Anyway, with the weather outside being so blustery, it caused great waves to crash into the pier. Our waitress drew our attention to the fact that the building was swaying with the waves. It was a neat sensation and experience! I highly recommend eating here!

1 Thank Rtonrd
Shorewood, IL
“Fantastic View, very good Diner Breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

After reading on Ruby's website their declaration that they have the "best corned beef hash you have ever tasted", I decided to make a trip to check it out. We had visited the Ruby's at Carlsbad Outlets earlier in our trip for dinner and thought it was okay but nothing special. After reading some reviews and worried about long wait times (since we had our 2 year old with us), I decided to visit the Oceanside one for Breakfast on a Thursday morning.

The first thing I noticed is you have to feed the meters to park just about anywhere in Oceanside. Nothing terribly expensive (I think it was about $1 for an hour), but we almost didn't have any change. There is a full day pay lot by the pier that I think takes cards which costs $5. After parking, it was off for the long walk along the pier. The views are incredible, and we eventually made it to Ruby's at the far end.

We definitely avoided the crowds by being there on a weekday morning. In fact, I was worried that the restaurant wasn't open, but I then saw a waitress and we got our pick of seats as we were the only customers there at the time.

I had the corned beef hash and it was very good, definitely better than what I would normally get at your standard family restaurant. My wife had french toast and daughter had eggs with a bit of cheese on them. We also had the black forest and strawberry milkshakes. (I know it's breakfast, but I had a coupon for a free milkshake, so I was bound and determined to get a milkshake. Plus, the milkshake was the best part of my dinner at the other Ruby's.) From the 3 types of shakes I tried this trip, the strawberry hands down was the best. Overall, the consensus was that we all preferred the breakfast offerings to the dinner ones. Don't get me wrong and get the idea that this is 5 star dining, but for being a diner breakfast, I would rate it very good.

The view from the restaurant is absolutely amazing, and is the thing that obviously sets this location apart from its counterparts. You are a good 1,000 feet out over the water with views going in each direction. Overall, I was very happy with this location and will definitely return on my next trip.

1 Thank Stormins
Dallas, Texas
“4-star view, 3-star food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

I would recommend visiting after a day around Legoland or the Carlsbad Outlets. There's a Ruby's Diner at the outlets, but, well, it's an outlet. This location is at the very end of the Oceanside Pier. It was beautiful to watch the boats, surfers, and even a family of dolphins while we ate. Service is prompt and efficient and the staff friendly. We were told we had a 45-minute wait but we sat down within 20 minutes. Grab a burger and shake and then walk it off along the pier afterwards. Stay for sunset or bring the kids to the playground on the beach. A nice way to spend the afternoon!

1 Thank Marie F
Hartford, Connecticut
“Burn calories. Drink milkshakes.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

We decided to go to Ruby's on our way through Oceanside after dinner. Yes, as many other reviewers have mentioned, it is out on the end of a very, very long pier. However, it was a nice night and felt good to walk after dinner. We also encountered a group of small children fishing with their parents, which as cute to watch for a few minutes. When you get to the end of this pier, you find Ruby's Diner. It is decorated to be a classic 50s diner and the servers dress the part. We went there specifically for milkshakes, so I cannot comment on the other food. However, the milkshakes were incredible and worth the walk (plus you burned off the milkshake calories on the walk back). That being said, the service was not great. It was mostly teenagers, who were more concerned with socializing with eachother than providing service.

• Visited January 2013

Been to Ruby's Diner? Share your experiences!