“nice quiet hole in the wall with sushi based gastronomic creations”

Wrench and Rodent Seabasstropub
Reserve with OpenTable
Wrench and Rodent Seabasstropub is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 396 Restaurants in Oceanside
Cuisines: Sushi, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 11, 2014

Without detail, this joint was what we needed and more. Do not miss the chance if you're in the area,

1  Thank Jeff L

Reviewed June 9, 2014

This place is all about fresh ingredients and love in the perpetration!
We really liked the verity of sauces that are non traditional! Everything was top shelf and executed perfect. We will be back again and again! Thank You

Reviewed June 6, 2014

Wow!

The Wrench and Rodent (gotta love the name) was our destination last night for a graduation dinner. My husband, myself and our son made up our party. This was our first visit to the restaurant. The W and R shares a space (sort of) with Bull Taco. I say 'sort of' because the door between the spaces is open, but when we were there the taco shop was closed. The decor was very interesting and eclectic. Now for the important part – the food. We couldn't decide what to order, lots of choices. Then we heard the specials which made it even harder (chocolate clams, fresh sea urchin, fresh toro etc.) Our waitress, someone who obviously really understood and knew about the food, suggested we set a 'per head cost' and let the chef be creative. We decided to splurge as it was a graduation dinner and suggested $30/person. The plates started to arrive, and kept coming, and coming. For many of the dishes the only word that could come out of my mouth was 'Wow!' I am not often at a loss for words, especially when it comes to food, but this was so amazing that talking about it just wouldn't do. Being in reverent silence with an occasional 'Wow' was all I could manage. I don't remember everything we tried, but here are some of them: Copper River Salmon with a tiny dab of grapefruit sugar, amazing, toro fresh and also glazed, again amazing, chocolate clams, sea urchin, spicy squid, toro tartare with 'salmon skin chips', anchovy sushi with violet mustard, etc, etc. At the end the waitress wanted to bring us dessert, but we were so full! When she asked if she could bring a very small piece for us to share, we gave in. Am I glad we did. Goat cheese cheesecake with beet compote might sound weird, but it was a fantastic ending to the meal. There was a good hit of pepper in there somewhere and who knew beets could taste so great?!! This is now my favorite sushi place, and probably my favorite restaurantb in San Diego. I am so glad this chef has graced Oceanside with his presence. And in quiet reverence, I just have to say, 'Wow.'

2  Thank barbinvista
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Phenomenal! This restaurant quickly became the favorite of my trip, going back multiple times. Great vibes and service. The food is the best I've had, I will come back to SD just to experience again.

1  Thank MalJH
Reviewed May 30, 2014

Only by locals and social media reviews will you find this place. Every on the menu is fresh, well made by a trained sushi chef, and the service is crazy good! And the price is beyond reasonable, if not under priced for what you get. Hidden inside the Bull Taco, go inside, take a left, and your in. Parking in the back. Everything on the menu is great. Also the peak time appears to be 7pm to 8:30pm. Come before or after, otherwise its a wait as it is a very small space. ENJOY!