“For the price, a great deal”

La Quinta Inn San Diego Oceanside
Ranked #5 of 27 Hotels in Oceanside
silverjym
“For the price, a great deal”
Reviewed August 13, 2005

Just returned from this one year old property. As a really frequent hotel stayer, following are my opinions on this property:

CONS: No swimming pool. No HBO or premium cable. Small parking lot, no spaces for trailers or large trucks. No room "views" of anything except limited view of ocean from rear third floor landing, but not from rooms.

PRO: Immaculate property and rooms spotless. Easy access from freeway but not immediately next to freeway. Minutes to Oceanside Harbor. Very quiet, does not cater to military business. "Gentlemen's Club" next door is separated from hotel by high brick wall. According to hotel staff, bouncers do not allow loitering either in their parking lot or in front of club so club had no impact on my stay. Oceanside is still a military town with all it's issues but the community has done a lot to upgrade it from its old rough and tumble image. If you want a place to walk around at night or a quaint California ocean village experience, you would be better off a few minutes to the south in Carlsbad-by-the Sea (however the hotel prices there are significantly higher). An excellent California Visitor Center is right across the street from the hotel and worth checking out. Coco's Restaurant also across street. Check-in was rapid and all staff very friendly. Hotel very security oriented, no access from exterior doors without room key. Rooms are very large for this price hotel with actual clothes closet, kitchenette (large microwave, refrigerator that actually keeps food cold, sink), iron, desk, free internet connection. Bathroom is moderate size with tub, minimal amentities. Sheets and towels good quality.Bed very comfortable with pillow top mattress. Each floor has washing machine/dryer. Deluxe complimentary breakfast includes cook yourself waffles and lots of Danish, cereals, fruits, etc. Largest rooms are in rooms ending in 05-08 numbers. Stay away from rooms ending in 12-13 numbers as they are next to vending machines, elevator, housekeeping. All in all, this is an excellent value and a great place to stop for the night before hitting the traffic nightmare into San Diego.

• Stayed August 2005
21 Thank silverjym

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
seattle
Reviewed July 27, 2005

We just got back from San Diego and stayed in this motel for two nights. When our friends, two different sets of 'em, found out where we were staying they sort of warned us about the neighborhood...not the nicest...not the safest...

The La Quinta is located next door to a "Gentlemen's Club" and the neighborhood is, indeed, a bit run down. (We were also told that it's not the nicest part of the beach...the motel is a block or two off the water.)
The motel itself, however, is nice, clean, and QUIET....at least our room was. Since it's on the main street, that's a nice feature. The staff was nice and the free breakfast was the typical toast, bagel, doughnut, cereal, juice, yogurt, ordeal with the added fresh you-cook-em waffle iron.

We paid $80/night through 1800usahotels, which was about $20 lower than any other site.

stu

• Stayed July 2005
9 Thank stuseattle
Lakewood, CA
Reviewed July 7, 2005

It was a small hotel but very clean. The room was large with a fridge, microwave, coffee pot and a big sink. The staff was nice. I had no problems getting extra coffee and cream and sugar for the coffee pot in the room. The biggest disappointment was there was no pool for my son to play in. I guess that's my fault for not asking ahead of time. I just assumed a brand new hotel would have had a pool so I didn't think to ask if they did. I was surprised about one thing. On one side of the hotel is a "Gentleman's Club" and on the other side was what looked liked to me a "two hour" motel. However, I must say that I was not disturbed by any noise or any activities going on during my one night stay there. It was a nice hotel but if I had to go back to Oceanside again I would probably stay somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2005
5 Thank Sharon A
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed July 6, 2005

Stayed for 6 nights. Rooms large, nice beds, good selection of tv channels, free high speed internet was a bit laggy, but it was free so no complaints. Had small coffemaker in room, microwave and small fridge. Caulking around bottom of toilet had come loose resulting in a loud thump whenever one sat down on the toilet. Window was stuck open about 2 inches, but was fixed by second day upon request. Very small parking spaces, and the exit/entrance is very sloped - hard to get in or out without "bottoming out". Housekeeping was fine. My only complaint was with the staff who were at times non-helpful, dismissive, defensive and rude. Examples - when we first checked in we were given a ground floor room. Given that we were two females traveling alone I requested a move to the 2nd or 3rd for safety reasons. The clerk seemed very put out that I would ask for this move, and made me feel as if he were doing us some huge favor. Several mornings, they were out of breakfast items including creamer, milk (so no cereal today), and syrup. Instead of sending someone out to the local store, all we heard from the staff was "It's not my fault, the delivery didn't show up". I don't expect a lot from service people, but I would rather have had food then excuses. The funniest thing was that they had one of those waffle makers that supposed to spray it with a "pam-like" spray before making the waffle. The can of spray that they had was Garlic flavored. EWWWW!!!! Nobody even noticed! When it was pointed out to the staff, they said, "Oh well." On our final morning, I asked the desk clerk if I could have a couple of large garbage bags to pack some items in and was told that he didn't have access to the areas where they were, and I would have to wait until housekeeping came in to get them. I find it very hard to believe that the only employee on duty would not have a way to access all parts of the building. The next clerk that came in got me two bags from the kitchen area which had been open when I asked the first time. It's really too bad when a stay at a decent hotel is made unsatisfactory by an inattentive and uncaring staff.

• Stayed June 2005
6 Thank ashleyrm
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 30, 2005

Brand new, little costly and parking was tight, but stayed one night and loved the design and lay out. For that price you would think they would have coffee pots in the room, but excellent quality and would have stayed longer in my budget

• Stayed June 2005, traveled on business
Whitehaven, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 27, 2005

Stayed here in April 2005 for 4 nights. The hotel is brand new which is reflected in the fixtures and fittings. Handy for the "Coaster train" which runs into San Diego regularly. A computer is available for free internet access in the business center. Breakfast was included consisting of cereal, muffins, bagels, coffee etc. Parking lot was on the small side, marked bays seemed very close together, but never had trouble finding a space. A very nice hotel close to the ocean and easy to find from the Interstate.

• Stayed April 2005