“They call this a motel!”
Review of Motel 9 Oceanside

Motel 9 Oceanside
Motel 9 Oceanside
Ranked #25 of 27 Hotels in Oceanside
Reviewed May 5, 2013

First off, i had been driving all day and tried to find somewhere to stay in Carlsbad but there was a sporting event going on and everything there was taken, so i drove on to Oceanside. As a last resort i went to every motel on the main drag and everything there was taken except for some rooms at the Motel 9. The worker at the counter first gave a price then raised it up as they pleased, but i had to take it or get back on the road again! The room was old and dirty! There were prostitutes hanging around as well which gave the area a bad vibe. We didn't even want to put our stuff down because the room was so dirty. The bathroom door would get jammed every time you closed it and made a loud noise every time it was opened to get out. Overall the room was filthy and we were more than glad to check out!

Room Tip: I strongly recommend not staying here!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Gokifwaz

Reviewed March 28, 2013

I have three children and this was a nice getaway. You can't get much better then water front around $100 a night. The kitchen was great for breakfast and lunch. Restaurants were walking distance. And the ambiance was fantastic. The rooms were ok but the surrounding and staff made up for it. Friendly and accommodating. People with children can appreciate a diamond in the rough like this. Fishermen will love this place. People were fishing right off there balconies (almost). BBQ pit available next to pool. Pool was warm in March, we had a good time. Close to legoland and not far from everything else. Major restaurants and shopping hop skip and a jump away. Played Golf on Tuesday. We will be back.next year for spring break.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank hediedfoeme
Reviewed August 7, 2011

Ok if someone says this is a nice place they must work there. Someone even posted pictures on yelp! It was packed the weekend we went an we were lost an couldnt find our hotel so we ended up stay here big mistake it cost $100 I pay $90 at the hapton by my house. There was a pee stain on the white sheet it was dark so I didnt see I was lying on it till the morning! There was a condom rapper on the side of the bed The restroom walls were falling apart! This place needs to be torn down an they stink oh an I didnt see them wash the blankets but a few sheets when I saw people checking out! youll leave with a scar dont go here The man in the front just says oh sorry to hear that an acts busy oh no soap no shampoo

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank marysand7963
Reviewed June 30, 2011

We like the kitchenette.We save alot of money from having to eat out all the time since we can store food in a Full size refridgerator and a stove to cook on.Has a microwave and a coffee maker too and a kitchen table.I always sleep comfortable on their beds.The times we have stayed there was no too loud partiers,I guess it just matters what time of year you go and the manners of certain people.We always go the weeks AFTER 4th of July.Only about 4 blocks from the beach,nice! around the corner there is a gas station and down the street a lil ranch market store where you can buy food.We always just walk there it's that close! Many fast food and restaurants close to choose from too.NEVER have seen roaches in the rooms like one of the reviews.I am terrified of big roaches so i would have noticed,of course if you keep your door open alot that would be more highly possible duh! We always keep the windows open and they have screens.Anyway we like it and we go every summer.We like the prices and since they have us saved on file since we reserve our rooms ahead of time they give us even better deals,that is always nice.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 26, 2010

I needed a place to stay for an extended period and a kitchenette was ideal. This hotel is situated right out the front gate of Camp Pendleton so the location was good for us. However, the free continental breakfast and VCR rental advertised on the building was false. The rooms are old and falling apart. We had to relight the pilot light on the stove every night. The night time staff were unhelpful and the cleaning crew did not speak any English. Since we got a kitchenette, we did not get maid service everyday and had to take our own trash out. No pots, pans or dishes were provided. The manager was very short with us, but did barter for the price of the room. The bathroom sink is one step away from falling off the wall. I will never stay here again and now would have paid the same price for a room without a kitchenette to have something clean.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LesliJ1966
Reviewed October 29, 2009

Having stayed in some low priced motels in the San Diego area I have to say the Motel 9 Oceanside is a very nice place. It is similar to the ones in San Diego as far as cost but that is where it stops. I found the room I stayed in very clean and had a new bathroom that was very clean and had some elbow room.
Having a small fridge and a microwave/coffee machine is nice as well for late night snacks etc...
The room was big enough and had a lot of closet space. The bed was ok, not the best but not too bad either. The manager is a nice guy and was very helpful. It is not the Hyatt but for a short stay it is very good value for the price. Also a good location, as the town, beach and the freeway is right close. Overall i give a thumbs up for this motel.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 17, 2009

Booked a room at this motel out of frustration, heading to San Diego from LA and being too tired to drive. Didn't ask for a room to see. What a mistake. But, again, i was really tired and just wanted to crush someplace. I started to fear for the worst almost immediately, when i realized the guy wasn't even going to ask for a mere deposit for paying cash up front. He even dared to mutter a "very nice room".
First thing that hit me, the smell. Like a big bowl of dust in your mouth. .No kidding. Second, the ceiling was so short i could almost touch it, standing on my feet. And the bed was higher than average! Deadly combination. The rest was as bad. The shower went rusty probably in the 40's, the rest accordingly. Bed sheets had cigarette burns and yellow stains. Another thing that irked me a lot, was that 2 out of 3 locks on the door where broken. Frightly enough. I slept, eyes open. Looking at the other reviews i consider myself lucky not to have meet bedbugs and roaches. Definitely a possibility in that pit. Don't waste your time and money here. Consider i had let down a room with ocean view in Laguna Beach for just 15 bucks more than this. Dont' get fooled!

• Stayed: July 2009