“Cool place to go”

California Surf Museum
Ranked #7 of 65 things to do in Oceanside
More attraction details
Owner description: Founded in 1986, the California Surf Museum mission is to preserve surfing heritage. The museum hosts a variety of cultural events from book signings to lectures, to movie nights to concerts. But the museum is most known for the wonderful rotating exhibits about surf and skateboard culture, art, and history. The whole family is welcome and you don't have to surf or skateboard to enjoy the museum.The California Surf Museum has been featured in Smithsonian Magazine, National Geographic, the BBC, the American Pickers "California Dreamin'", Hawaiian Airlines commercial, PBS "Getting Away Together" and many more. Don't miss the outdoor Secret Spot and Bethany Hamilton's surfboard while you are here. Also, shop the Museum Store for unique gifts and souvenirs. Joining as a member is a great way to get involved in volunteer opportunities and to support the museum on an annual basis. Hope to see you soon!
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Great history and cool pieces to look at!! Even had some surf boards we had seen on tv with a pro surfer and one that was donated by the american pickers! I would highly recommend going here!

There are newer reviews for California Surf Museum

Reviewed November 13, 2013

Although they were working on an exhibit, the museum was interesting, with a lot of history. It was fun to see the old surfboards that you would never imagine surfing on.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

We walked from our hotel to the museum and pier. We went on the first Tuesday of the month, which means it was free for all. It was well worth that price. I don't know if we would have paid the $5 per adult (free kids in October) price on another day that week with all my young kids along. It is in a large room filled with surfing history, artifacts (like surfboards), and short videos. My kids were captivated by the video about the girl who lost her arm to a shark while surfing some years ago. The actual surfboard was there along with pictures of her and a short video about her. We were in and out in about 10 minutes. I would have stayed longer and read more info if I didn't have my kids along, but I do think it was kid friendly and I wasn't TOO worried about them breaking something. The curators there were very welcoming to the kids as well.

1  Thank Team_Ejinduaka
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We spent a great time at the small California Surf Museum in Oceanside. I am an aging surfer so it had great appeal to me. They had great examples of the evolution of the surfboard. They also spotlighted the huge impact that the Windandsea Club had on the establishment of surfing in the US. There was also a moving exhibit on Bethany Hamilton (the young pro surfer who lost her arm in a shark attack). They had her board with the shark bite in it on display along with a video of her story with great interviews and footage. My wife and I both had a very memorable experience here and would highly recommend it.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Check it out, Buy a Shirt, say you've been there! All I know is I have been looking for Wilson for so many years and this past weekend I found him!