“Poor Service, Great location”

Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort
Ranked #6 of 27 Hotels in Oceanside
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 27, 2011

This is a relatively new property ON the beach in Oceanside, CA. This property is relatively new so the amenities are nice but the service is NOT up to par with the other Wyndham properties that we have visited.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank bartrip06

Reviewed January 4, 2011

During Spring Break of 2010, we decided to use our Wynham timeshare points here at Oceanside. We loved it eventhough the weather was not hot. We originally booked it for 2 nights but loved it so much we booked it for an extra night. The staff was very friendly and helped us extend our stay. We enjoyed the ocean! Next to the ocean was a playground, so it was perfect when we were taking a break from getting wet and laying out in the sun. We enjoyed having picnics next to the playground. It is very close to Legoland, San Diego, and about 30 min drive to Disneyland. The also have children/family activities that we enjoyed as well. We absolutely loved it a a mini retreat and would love to go again.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank TAIBORI
Reviewed December 10, 2010

Just returned this afternoon from a timeshare week that we traded at this resort. Before going into some of the details of the resort that we enjoyed, please understand this is NOT a Wyndham hotel per se. It is a Wyndham timeshare resort, primarily used by their timeshare owners or other timeshare owners that trade into it.
As such, there are employees at the resort making their living by making presentations to those that visit the property and selling them timeshare/vacation points. Remember, you are paying for staying here - whether you traded in from another timeshare or as a hotel reservation. You are not staying for free. As such you are entitled to your privacy and are NOT obligated to accept a timeshare presentation. If you don't want a presentation, just say 'no, thank you'. You may need to say it more than once but no one is forcing you into anything. Simply excuse yourself and proceed to your room or politely hang up the phone. It can be done, because we did it. Or you may choose to exchange your time in a presentation to hear the details or get a free ticket. But it is your choice.
That being said, we LOVED the location at the beautiful Oceanside pier and across the street from the beach. We walked on the beach each day and through the neighborhoods of spectacular beachfront homes. Watching the dozens of surfers was fun as was walking into town for the Thursday night market with artists, food, music, etc.
We had a two bedroom/two bathroom suite with full kitchen. Master bath had a jetted two-person tub and separate shower. Drapes in the living room and bedroom completely blocked the light so we could sleep in as the bed was as comfortable as ours at home. Nice small deck also for morning coffee or evening wine. As others have noted, top floor has a 'common area' with seating, TV, music and deck with chairs to watch the sunset if you don't have a west-facing room (ours was a north facing room).
I would love to go to this resort again with our family. We would ask for a south facing room next time. A west (ocean front) facing room is the nicest but it seems those are not available to the average visitor. I would NOT stay at this resort if the only room available was an east-facing room. You would have absolutely no ocean view and would face the train tracks and street.
The train was a nostalgic sound to us and not obnoxious, though if you were in an east facing room or you are particularly sensitive, it might be a problem. We didn't hear it frequently and never heard it when we went to sleep.
It is an absolute non-smoking property, even on the decks or common areas, and no pets. As such and since it is relatively new, it is extremely clean without odors.
We felt perfectly safe walking throughout the beach and surrounding resort area but security is subtly present which actually contributes to a very pleasant environment. The parking garage is underground and free.
The rooms had free internet but wireless was only available in the common areas. An ethernet cord is provided in the room for your connection if you don't have one.
The linens, furniture and kitchen utensils were nice quality.
All in all, with such a great location in southern California, close to so much that San Diego has to offer, it is a wonderful vacation spot. Just remember, you are a grown-up,,, and can say 'no' to a timeshare presentation... then enjoy your stay at this lovely resort!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank GrandFan13
Reviewed December 7, 2010

I should read the review more carefully; the train noise all night; kept me awake; but been told can't not check out earlier without paying entire charges. This place charged your entire payment up front not at check-out time. If you compared with all other hotels, the cancellation policy for this location is un heard of. When I asked at the front desk whether I can get refund or changed the room; of course it's impossible. I didn't get the call back from the reservation number they told me to call.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank adac1121
Reviewed November 1, 2010

This hotel was one of the best that I stayed. I enjoyed the ocean view, the staff, the security. It was peaceful for the most part. However, I was asked to attend a review for my timeshare and the meeting was going to be about 45 mins. However, it was over 2 1/2 hr. I had to ask for a manager due to the rude behavior of the Rep. The Rep refused to allow me to leave. Also, I was told that my previous contract will not stay the same and there is nothing that I can do about it. I was shocked by this Reps behavior. Things like this can make a good resort look bad. I will not do anymore timeshare meetings when vacationing. I would still recommend this hotel without all the extra.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank blessed41-10
Reviewed October 12, 2010

Celebrating our 10th anniversary we stayed here with a beautiful view, perfect weather, and just a wonderful facility (great hot tub and pool). Would go back in a minute and was sorry to leave! Would recommend to anyone wanting a place just to listen to the ocean and relax!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 17, 2010

it's actually a time share hotel and they HOUND you to attend a presentation, they call your room and pressure you...now with digging you could probably find that out before booking. I did not, along with several others the morning after our first night I was at the front desk requesting another room. Seems they don't mention 2 things with much vigor. One if your not a paying timeshare member your room is ALWAYS at the BACK of the hotel. Two..that is where the commutor train runs every half hour from 7 am to 1 am...daily. IF you complain you have 2 options..free earplugs while you pay $150 a night..or you can checkout. Those are the suggestions I recieved from the front desk clerk.
So I checked out. Now unlike MOST major hotels it seems you do not pay a $75 fee for checking out early. YOu pay for your full stay. There is no one willing to discuss the issue at the hotel or the head office or the online site or ANYWHERE.
They ditch you and ignore you until you go away.
So like several other families with cranky kids and angry spouses I moved to a quieter hotel at my expense....$700 for one night stay and absolutely no recourse.Now I don't usually make a fuss,but I was so annoyed by the dismissive attitude of this hotel I sent this in as a consumer rip off story to 20/20. I feel you have an obligation to post something on your site to notify people of this issue before they ruin their holidays as well. Just mention the NOISY train, there are no refunds,EVER and no other rooms unless they sell you a time share BUT they offer free ear plugs.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family