“Amazing!! Didn't want to leave!”

Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort
Ranked #8 of 27 Hotels in Oceanside
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Before selecting this hotel, I had searched quite a bit for places to stay in this area or surrounding areas, and I chose this one because of the ocean proximity and the 2 bedroom suite with kitchen. Yes, it is a timeshare property, but they didn't pressure us at all on a sales pitch. Very friendly and helpful staff. Our room was very spacious, clean and modern. Huge bathtub, great kitchen, 3 TV's, 2 bathrooms, balcony. More than I expected, and it worked out very well with my family of 5. There is a gorgeous 7th floor sky lounge with a wrap around balcony, amazing views! The hotel also had quite a bit to offer in the activities, my kids and I took advantage of the games, DVD's, beach rentals. The thing I noticed about this property is that they have taken detailed measures to create quality rooms and attention to what makes it beyond just an average hotel, many layers of focus to what families need. No corners cut, just honest hospitality and resort experience at it's best.
We did have a room somewhat near the train. The trick is: close your windows. You will hardly hear it. I love the ocean sounds so much, I had the windows open most of the time anyway.
The pool overlooks the ocean, very nice. We walked over to the pier every morning, had breakfast at Ruby's a couple of times. It was nice to have a kitchen so that on the occasions we didn't want to go out, we made our own meals. Spacious sitting area for the 5 of us. I loved how close everything was (great beach, restaurants) and parking was easy too.
We just got back home, but I'm already planning my trip back! Truly charmed, had a great experience.

Room Tip: ocean facing room
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank courtney c
ClubWyndham, Social Media Team at Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Hi Courtney,

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. We appreciate your kind words. We are glad you enjoyed the unit accommodations and amazing view. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

This timeshare resort is beautiful and relaxing. I've seen other reviews that complain about the train noise. Yes, the trains are directly behind the resort and get pretty busy in the very early morning. Therefore you need to get a room toward the front of the resort and take advantage of the complimentary earplugs located in a bowl on the front desk. As we had family with us we had a large three bedroom unit on the top floor. Small deck on the front with a great view of the Oceanside pier. Larger deck on the side overlooking the pool. Bedrooms and bathrooms (3 of them) were large and comfortable. Adequate sized full kitchen and dining area and a washer and dryer. Under the building are two levels of complimentary parking but only park in the numbered locations as the rest are reserved for the restaurant. One full sized restaurant and a pizza shop are on site. We did not eat in the restaurant but we did try the pizza which was a thin crust and pretty good. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Being a timeshare they will try to get you to sign up for a 'tour' of the facility with an offer of a gift card. Some advice - you can always decline however, if you should be interested in a timeshare purchase I would look at the secondary market first as that is where you will get your best bargains. Sites such as redweek.com, timeshare users group, sellmytimeshare are worth a look. About the trains - a great way to get to LA, San Diego or locations in between. We chose to take the Amtrak Surfliner to San Diego. Train station is about two blocks from the resort and, in San Diego, its downtown within easy walking distance of the gaslamp district. Oceanside does not have much. Close to the resort is a Regal 16 movie theatre. Nearby there are a few small restaurants, a DQ and a Subway. About three blocks behind the resort, on Pierview and Hwy 101 is a good pastry store that also serves lunch. We did breakfast there a few times. At the end of the Oceanside pier is a Ruby's. For better eating choices take a ride South in Carlsbad. Also visit the outlet mall in Carlsbad. A little further down is Del Mar which has some nice restaurants. Remember the Wyndham resort is a timeshare. As such they do not have daily maid service but should you need extra soap, toilet paper, etc ask the front desk.

Room Tip: Toward the front of the resort as the train tracks are to the rear however, without those earplugs...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
ClubWyndham, Social Media Team at Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback along with some helpful tips for future guests. We are so glad you enjoyed your unit location and great view. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

I really liked this hotel. The people were beyond helpful, and nice. I have never gotten such excellent service. The hotel is beautiful. This is a time share property, so know that. But you really never were aware of the fact, except they steer you to the sales desk to get your parking permit for the garage. I just said as I approached, "I am not interested", and that pretty much was it. You will read alot about the train, which runs right behind the hotel, and those are the rooms they give to non-members. Very nice rooms, with a jacuzzi tub, and a tiny private balcony. And the train is loud, that's why they have ear plugs in the rooms. it did not bother me at all, I like the sound of a train. And it is across the street from the pier, so I think it cancels out the negitive. The only restraunt close during our visit was a very expensive steak house. But there is a small grocer a few blocks away, as is town. The reason I didn't give 5 stars was the pool situation. Being a time share there were alot of children here, fine. But they COMPLETELY took over the pool, the entire day, and night. They set aside ONE hour a day for adults only 10-11PM. I paid good $ to stay here, and was very upset children were allowed to run and scream, and monopolize the pool area at night. By 10PM your too tired to stay up for a swim. How about the tykes get out at 8:00? They have it all day. This was a big thorn, in the rose for me.They also let children in the spa, I'm talking toddlers, and the very young. Oceanside is a wonderful, beautiful getaway..and this hotel is a gem, if you don't mind giving up the pool amenity.

Room Tip: If you are not a member, you don't have a choice.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Deeogee33
ClubWyndham, Social Media Team at Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. We appreciate your kind words and will share them with our staff. We are glad you enjoyed the resort and unit amenities. We are sorry to hear you had to spend even a minute of your time dealing with overcrowding at the pool and we appreciate this feedback. We hope you come back to stay with us.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for the week for our honeymoon. The staff was awesome the night we checked in the brought us a bottle of champagne and some goodies. Very thoughtful and was a great start to a wonderful stay. We had an ocean view room which wasn't directly in front of the ocean but on the side that you still could see it from our balcony. We did try the restaurant on the Pier which is called Ruby's it was good for a quick bite to eat. The best was nice and lots of shops and places to grab a quick bite to eat. They did have a little street like festival kinda thing going on which was nice to kill sometime. We also ate at 333 which was a nice classy place and also tried a place called zigzag pizza. They had only been open for 3 days and where still getting the hang of it so it was a little slow to get our pizzas. But the pizza was still delicious. The stay was the best stay we could have asked for on our honeymoon!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
ClubWyndham, CLUB WYNDHAM Social Media Team at Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback including some great restaurant locations. We are so glad you chose to stay with us for your honeymoon and it’s always a pleasure to make memorable visits for our guests! We hope you come back to visit us.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

The property was easy to find and very well maintained. The staff were extremly helpful and the room was very clean and the bed was awsome. The bathroom was large. The view of the train track however was not the best, but we dealt with it. Really close to the beach and we made good use if it. The only knock was the timeshare push we were not aware of it. I would hesitate to stay again here because of it, but was a nice room.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the train tracks.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank oldestpenguin
ClubWyndham, CLUB WYNDHAM Social Media Team at Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the room accommodations and location to the beach. We apologize for any negative encounters with our sales staff. We know it is important to feel completely comfortable on vacation. We do hope you come back to stay with us.

Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

We'd picked this hotel based on recommendations from tripadvisor, so we were prepared for the train noise and "parking pass" timeshare push.

They stay was fantastic - it was the best 2 nights over a. 2- week stay in Southern California.

We arrived at check in and were happy that we'd been upgraded to a 2-bedroom condo . The unit was perfect for our needs: large, inviting, comfortable, clean and well-appointed. The bedding was pure heaven. The kitchen and eating area were much larger than we anticipated.

We were disappointed to be on the back of the property, facing the train, but I knew an ocean view wasn't guaranteed and we spent most of our time on the beach.

My son adores trains, so the nonstop whistles made his stay, and didn't affect our sleep. The trains do go by very frequently.

We took advantage of a craft activity with our 4-year-old: he made a shell picture frame. Had a blast and the activities staff couldn't have been nicer.

The beach was perfect and a walk out on to the pier can't be missed.

I'd advise against a walk into town. We walked to the convenience store one afternoon and felt unsafe; my husband was heckled by a group of young men the next afternoon. Not the hotel's fault, but be aware.

The Tin Fish under the pier is perfect fare for a beach afternoon.

My only recommendation would be for the property not to give you the timeshare push under the guide of picking up a parking pass. Left a bad taste in my mouth.

We'd absolutely and will stay here again!

Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank KristyS

Hi Kristy,

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. We are so glad to hear your son enjoyed the craft activity and the train. It is great that you were able to enjoy time at the beach with your family. Thank you for sharing some helpful information regarding your suggestion for transportation around the area. We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed October 2, 2013

Beautiful ocean, and located steps from the pier...but after that, we weren't so impressed. Our 2 bedroom condo had a very small living area...I've been in many standard hotel rooms with more sitting space, so if 4 people were going to sit, at least one of them needed to be at the dining table! Kitchen was good and adequately supplied. They claimed to have grills...but they were 3 blocks away at the public beach!! REALLY? And there is a train blasting thru every 20 minutes day AND night. The part of town within walking distance doesn't offer much for shopping or dining...unless marine surplus stores, tattoo parlors and head shops are your thing. There IS a great farmers market on Thursdays and Thursday night, so it you are going to stay, try to be there on a Thursday. If you can avoid the high pressure sales pitch, you will be doing yourself a favor.

Room Tip: If you are not facing the Ocean, then good luck, since the train is on the non-ocean side and we wer...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family