“Great location, very nice room, trains very noisy on first night.”

Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort
Ranked #7 of 27 Hotels in Oceanside
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed 7 nights in June 2012. The room was great, we had a 2 bedroom, 2 bath unit, 2 adults and 2 kids. Nicely and simply decorated in Cali colors. Kitchen was well laid out and had enough equipment. It was very well ventilated, much appreciated, no residual odors or humidity. There are a couple things to consider: the surrounding neighborhood is nice but the downtown area is still on the rebound from something, and the pier, which is fun to walk, attracts all aspects of society, it is not disney but we never felt unsafe during normal daylight hours. There are great bike and tram rentals below the pier, fun for families and the road along the beach is a very safe area to use them, back and forth... The other consideration is the noise from the adjacent Amtrak/commuter/freight trains, kept me awake the first of the seven nights, constant horns, which is why ear plugs are generously provided at the check in desk. That should always be a clue. I guess another downside was we had no control over the room location and we had a "city view" which was over the train tracks and very little ocean to be seen. Not a bad thing for a Legoland-bound boy but an ocean view room would have been quieter. The swimming pool was not kept very warm and we chose not to use it much, the hot tub was very busy. Activity room was staffed by friendly people but they shut down access to video game systems one hour before closing, a rather arbitrary rule that disappointed our son and seemed unnecessary ? Nearby the downtown is very close to walk to, and the commuter train station to San Diego is close, 4 blocks or so. The Thursday evening market in the downtown was bustling, great variety, tons of people, the gyros were amazing. We did not find much family oriented food nearby. I would say that Carlsbad is more family oriented than Oceanside and you might consider that in your search. Overall, we would consider other accommodation next time, although our stay was pleasant enough. But it also was rather expensive, we paid less in Hawaii for similar, but on this trip I was paying for location and the conveniences of a 2bd/2bath unit for a family wanting to be midway between San Diego and LA.

Room Tip: East side rooms face the train tracks, some nights they go constantly.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank PerogyKing

Reviewed September 22, 2012

We traveled from Phoenix, Az to Oceanside excited to get away for the weekend! When we arrived at 9:00pm, sleepy and ready for a shower and bed, we were devastated to find ear plugs at the front desk.( not a good sign) When we got to our room, which was the wrong room, without the balcony and whirlpool tub, we found out why the staff was insistent that we take a few pairs of ear plugs to our room. The Coaster commuter train runs right along side the South side of the resort every 50 mins!!!! After paying 40 dollars more per night, we were moved to a suite on the North side. The room is beautiful! However our plan was to find out about their Time Share opportunities. However, my husband, who is a Marine traveling on orders, was not able to attend
their Time Share Breakfast, I was told both of us needed to attend to receive ANY information and asked to give up my appointment to another couple! I found this to be INCREDIBLY rude. They were very unapologetic. We could have stayed on base in a private cottage right on the beach for the same price. In my opinion, they made a huge mistake! I will never recommend this
resort to anyone. As a matter of fact, my husband and I are ready to check out and stay on base for the remainder of our trip. By the way, I just heard on the local Fox News, that a dead body washed up on the beach 2 days ago. I bet that won't be on the tour!!!!!

Room Tip: No where to park your car while checking in! Rude and unsympathetic staff! I temporarily misplaced m...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Dayle U
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I would stay at Oceanside Wyndham again everything was great.
My only disappointment was that no room service was available however there are numerous restaurants in the immediate vicinity especially the 333 which is on the lower level.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 19, 2012 via mobile

Beautiful, clean, and comfortable unit with a balcony overlooking the Pacific. Many good restaurants nearby, very friendly staff at Wyndham, and beautiful sunsets every night. On each Thursday they block off some streets in downtown Oceanside for a Farmers Market in the morning and a Street Fair in the afternoons with a large variety of food and merchandise vendors.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We had never been to this area before and found it quiet and quaint. We saw noone causing any problems or acting oddly. We walked from the resort to the town several nights to eat, about 7-9 blocks. The outdoor pool was nice also. It is only about 40-50 minutes from San Diego so it is perfect fo checking it out. Going up to the roof (I believe it's the 7th floor) and having a panoramic view of the area at night is breath taking!
If you are not from the area, check out out the Hollywood tour. Rodeo Drive was worth the cost of the tour!
We liked it so well we are heading back again in Oct. 2012!!

Room Tip: If noise is a issue, ask ahead of time to be placed ocean view. That is where we were and we never h...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Windmill47
Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

We stayed over the weekend and I can't wait to go back. The room was very spacious. The standard room was big enough for my husband, myself, and our two young kids. It is just a short walk to the beach. Family friendly pool and jacuzzi. We didnt get to try it but their kids club looked really nice. Lots of activities for family. It is a timeshare property so there isnt a daily cleaning which I kind of liked knowing no one was going to come into our room. There is a large sitting area on the 7th floor great for watching the sunset. Lots of restaurants to walk to, but the one at the hotel was great. We will definitely be staying there again.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 10, 2012

For such a nice place, it sure is a lousy location. Do not under estimate how the train will affect the quality of your sleep as It's right between two traffic crossings so the train blows it's horns everytime it passes. The room is quite nice, but you can't book a room facing the ocean, they are reserved for timeshares, but you can buy a timeshare, that's what they told us anyway. However, the entire complex is right next to the train tracks, and the trains run CONSTANTLY. Do not underestimate what that will mean to the quality of your sleep. Parking is good, I didn't mind the garage. It's actually very convient because you park near the elevators in the basement garage and zips you and your bags right up to your room. Also, the room has laundry facilities. That's very nice. Just couldn't sleep through the darn train. Maybe I should have tried sleeping in my car in the lower level parking garage

Room Tip: The girls at the counter are friendly, so I'm not giving it a terrible service rating, but they...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family