“Fresh, French fare in the Mediterranean style”
Review of Bistro Des Copains - CLOSED

Bistro Des Copains
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Portola Valley, California
“Fresh, French fare in the Mediterranean style”
Reviewed August 16, 2011

We had a wonderful onion soup - traditional caramelized onions in a dark broth. Then I had the signature chicken dish. The skin was crispy and the chicken breast great.

I know French people like their meat rarer than some Brits. By birth a Brit, I don't like red meat where the leg joins the body - especially on poultry. I like my meat to fall off the bone and I like it cooked very slowly at a low temperature. We were dining early in the evening and I felt the chicken was a little underdone (or maybe it had been frozen and not thawed properly). Nevertheless the juice surrounding the chicken was great with fresh garlic cloves. The green beans were delightfully fresh. The mashed potatoes were mashed very smoothly - except for one small lump.

We enjoyed talking to the very friendly proprietor about France and really this is a very good restaurant for a country village. They also offer chilled non-alcoholic beer, great if you are driving or have an athletic event the next day.

As our mobile phones (AT&T) did not work in Occidental, we could not make a reservation and walked down the road from the Occidental Hotel and were lucky to get a table. I enjoyed looking at the map of France on the wall next to our table.

The details - a slightly underdone chicken, a tiny bit of potato that missed the masher - are what prevent me from giving 5 stars to this charming restaurant.

• Visited August 2011

Oakland, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I'll be back again, with bells on!”
Reviewed December 28, 2010

It wasthe frosting on the cake! Relaxing treatments at Osmosis Spa, a delightful welcome and accommodation at the Inn at Occidental and a beautifully presented and prepared dinner at the Bistro across the street. We sat at the counter and watched with wonder as dinners, salads, desserts and pizzas were carefully and expertly created. The perfect end to a perfect day celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary.

Worcester, MA
“Food is DELICIOUS!”
Reviewed May 26, 2010

The food here is amazing! I had a very pleasant experience with my husband. The quality is great, food comes out piping hot, and Tuesday night you can bring your own wine in (NO corkage fee) so long as it is bottled in Sonoma County! This place is a gem and the food is superb!

Norfolk
“great eatery”
Reviewed May 1, 2010

Lovely staff- good fun and efficient, and good food. Atnosphere best described as informal, Tuesday no corkage charge so tske along your vineyard purchase

California
“Charming”
Reviewed November 5, 2009

We enjoyed a wonderful dinner here. Very much worth the drive to Occidental. Roast chicken as good as it gets, excellent duck. Very nice and reasonably priced wine list. Felt right at home, great service as well. We will return, and hopefully soon.